Wrestling

Rich

12 minutes ago, Atomic said:

No.... but I get dragged to the odd event by my friend who loves it for some reason

It depends which shows you go to.  They're competitors so I try to be fair.  I went to a couple of their shows recently.  Their shows at Rookies Bar are vastly different from their shows at the Church.  And Im not sure they'd disagree to be honest.

You think of the great 'technicians' that would work a guy over. Some of the best PPV matches (Ricky, Savage, Flair, etc.) would see someone work someone's knee over (or another body part) the whole match, setting up something like a figure-four. Too bad WWE doesn't value that.

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It depends which shows you go to.  They're competitors so I try to be fair.  I went to a couple of their shows recently.  Their shows at Rookies Bar are vastly different from their shows at the Church.  And Im not sure they'd disagree to be honest.

Haha yeah I mean I always have a good time.  The quality of matches and competitors seems to vary wildly.

8 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Isn't she supposed to get booed?

This isn't a face or heel thing. I don't think the WWE fans like her as a character as she's totally one dimensional. if they weren't booing her the fans seem disinterested in Jax. Whenever she pulls off a power move they boo whereas with the men people cheer face or heel. Compare her to what Braun Strowman did with the Big Show last night. He showed agility for a huge man & people cheered.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Here's a fun fact about Rosey who just passed away (brother of Roman, cousin of Umaga):

In 1990, he won a $100 first prize at the World Catfish Festival is Mississippi by eating two pounds and 12 ounces of catfish in ten minutes.

Also the wrestler who turned down the song Glorious was Nak who didn't feel it Suited him. Worked out well for him and Roode. 

I never understood why taking steroids as a pro wrestler was such a bad thing? These guys are entertainers. They are considered private contractors. They don't play on any teams where thousands or millions of dollars are bet on. They're big boys & know the risks. If they want to jack up & accept those risks, I say go ahead. It's their life. It's their funeral.

If you follow Jinders Instagram... steroids aren't involved. Hgh might be but dudes been pretty much posting pics daily about his diet and workout. Guy is busting his balls. Looks pretty natural to me. Doesn't look steroid related at all.  He's way 2 jacked for it to be steroids. Steroids are more hogan from the 80s... this is probably HGH and a lot of hard work. Dude wants it and quite frankly... he deserves it.  Steroids don't make your face smaller or less fatty... he's just dieting and working very hard. Supplements or HGH use for sure but those aren't exactly illegal or frowned upon really. 

Edited by Goalie

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I assume because some people abuse them and end up dying an early death?

I suppose cigarettes and alcohol should be a banned substance also then cuz guarantee you more people die from alcohol or tobacco abuse than they do from steroid use. Maybe we should ban cars also cuz ppl die in car accidents daily or in the states guns cuz they have more gun deaths in 1 day than steroid related deaths in a year probably  

Edited by Goalie

Jinder does not look natural. You still have to put in the time and effort while using steroids. 

You can't have businesses that encourage their "employees" to use and abuse illegal drugs. What you do in your home is one thing. You're an adult. But when it spills over into work and it's encouraged it's a bigger issue. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

I suppose cigarettes and alcohol should be a banned substance also then cuz guarantee you more people die from alcohol or tobacco abuse than they do from steroid use. Maybe we should ban cars also cuz ppl die in car accidents daily or in the states guns cuz they have more gun deaths in 1 day than steroid related deaths in a year probably  

What a terrible comparison and one of the worst posts I've read on here to date.  

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Jinder does not look natural. You still have to put in the time and effort while using steroids. 

You can't have businesses that encourage their "employees" to use and abuse illegal drugs. What you do in your home is one thing. You're an adult. But when it spills over into work and it's encouraged it's a bigger issue. 

I always do find it funny when people assume that you magically grow muscles just by taking roids.   As if no time in the gym is required for this.  

I always find it interesting to see how drastically a body changes before and after one cycles on and off the roids.  It can't be healthy for the system.  

I believe Hogan discussed his usage in his interview with the Voice Michael Schiavello where he had said that doctors had him on a program and monitored his health continually to ensure that no long term damage would be done to him.   Leaping Lanny also had a decent little interview with Hannibal about his brief usage with roids and how it messed with his mind and body and how easily addictive it was.

I imagine that a lot of guys in the 80's  were like the dude in the movie the wrestler where they just keep going and going trying to get massive and doing everything themselves.   That can't be safe. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I always do find it funny when people assume that you magically grow muscles just by taking roids.   As if no time in the gym is required for this.  

I always find it interesting to see how drastically a body changes before and after one cycles on and off the roids.  It can't be healthy for the system.  

I believe Hogan discussed his usage in his interview with the Voice Michael Schiavello where he had said that doctors had him on a program and monitored his health continually to ensure that no long term damage would be done to him.   Leaping Lanny also had a decent little interview with Hannibal about his brief usage with roids and how it messed with his mind and body and how easily addictive it was.

I imagine that a lot of guys in the 80's  were like the dude in the movie the wrestler where they just keep going and going trying to get massive and doing everything themselves.   That can't be safe. 

Wrestlers know the risks. If they still decide to take them, it's their decision. Is it wrong, sure. But again adults making adult decisions.

There's a whole other aspect to this. A lot of people will be dismissive of. But the pressure at various times for guys to do drugs essentially forced many to do it

now you'll say no one forces an adult. We know that's not true though. Many adults can be intimidated or conjoled. 

If you worked for years to succeed in your chosen profession and then a bunch of fellow colleagues took drugs to be better than you and were actively encouraged by management by being promoted or rewarded, and you knew your job and career relied on also taking drugs, a level of control is taken from you. 

This same argument has been applied to the Olympics. Let everyone take whatever they want. It's still an even playing field if everyone is doping. 

As a society we don't have a "adults can do what they want" mentality. Many things are illegal. We protect people from their own bad choices and addictions. We protect people from being influenced or intimidated into making bad choices that impact their health and people around them. We don't want people to die needlessly even if as a result of their own choices. 

An adult at 25 is not the same as an adult at 40. 

The idea wrestling is fake so unlike real sports doping should be allowed and doesn't matter is also not true. The competition to succeed and be successful is as real as any sport. 

And regardless of everything else, the government deems it illegal. If everyone in wwe went back to late 90's doping levels (or late 80's) the Feds would be all over them. Now you have certain guys with the money and knowledge and willingness to take their chances. 

I don't know if jinder is doping. But his physique would suggest he is. And others who would better know the signs saying he is.  But imagine your any other guy and a career jobber gets re-hired, hurts a top star and still gets a main event push because of his look....it's exactly what led to the steroid culture of the 80's and 90's. 

There is an inherent unfairness. And that's why it's important to not allow it. 

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

If you follow Jinders Instagram... steroids aren't involved. Hgh might be but dudes been pretty much posting pics daily about his diet and workout. Guy is busting his balls. Looks pretty natural to me. Doesn't look steroid related at all.  He's way 2 jacked for it to be steroids. Steroids are more hogan from the 80s... this is probably HGH and a lot of hard work. Dude wants it and quite frankly... he deserves it.  Steroids don't make your face smaller or less fatty... he's just dieting and working very hard. Supplements or HGH use for sure but those aren't exactly illegal or frowned upon really. 

HGH is very frowned on.  In fact the issue with HGH is that its very difficult to test for which means its most often abused.  There have been claims for years of new testing to test for it because its such an issue.  Thats why you will often see guys who's bodies physically change moreso than just more muscular because they are abusing HGH (giant heads etc).

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Hogan cant be believed.  The old timers like him always used the excuse that they started taking steroids when it was "legal" and no one knew the risks.  Thats partially true.  It was legal (or not illegal) and was huge in bodybuilding circles which often crossed-over into wrestling but they all knew the risk.  But when you're 25 years old and the difference between being a huge star making millions of dollars is taking drugs, most of them took drugs.  Then the guys that didnt want to take drugs had to just to compete.  And then you have a major major problem.

Vince's opinion is one shared by many people here.  He's on record as saying wrestling isnt a competitive sport so it doesnt matter.  That is simply not true.  Wrestling is highly competitive.  Everytime WWE has had a drug testing program, Vince was dragged into it kicking and screaming.  They often adjust their rules to protect certain guys.

When they instituted the three strikes and you're out rule, Orton would probably have 5 strikes and have been fired but they simply erased some of his strikes.  He was suspended for a drug violation and then later he was one of several guys who were implicated in a mail order steroid ring.  WWE suspended the others but not Orton (or else he'd have been fired) claiming the drugs he bought were the ones he previously tested hot for...

They also have certain guys on "part time" deals and dont consider them testable like Brock and Hunter.

They also allow (as does UFC I believe) TRT exemptions where guys who are long time steroid abusers can keep pumping themselves full of testosterone because they "need" it.

They generally test at TV so everyone knows when they test.

The one area WWE is WAY better in is that their testing includes very extensive medical tests above steroids.  The medical tests to be hired are extensive now and they do heart testing which is a big thing.  In addition, they pay for rehab for any former worker who requests it and have a really well-reputed team that handles that aspect of wellness.  They are generally really generous too.  After Sunny flunked out of WWE-paid rehab a bunch of times and got into a lot of trouble and was critical of WWE, they announced they would no longer fund her repeated rehabs.  But they recently (and quietly) did again. 

I'm not naive enough to think I can tell when someone is on steroids or not by looking at them.  I can make an educated guess, and certainly with Jinder Mahal I would lean towards 'yes'.  But on the other hand, with the right person on the right diet and workout program, I can't say his gains/results are impossible.  I've seen people get pretty shredded naturally (or so they claim... who knows?).  If he truly worked his ass off and did everything the right way, damn that's pretty cold to condemn him as a steroid abuser.  Test the man... and if he passes, he passes.

Either way, good on him taking life by the balls and bringing his wrestling career back from the dead.  Taking steroids may show a lack of integrity, but there are lots of unemployed people with integrity to burn, and it ain't paying the bills.  If he's clean, I give him double props.

16 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'm not naive enough to think I can tell when someone is on steroids or not by looking at them.  I can make an educated guess, and certainly with Jinder Mahal I would lean towards 'yes'.  But on the other hand, with the right person on the right diet and workout program, I can't say his gains/results are impossible.  I've seen people get pretty shredded naturally (or so they claim... who knows?).  If he truly worked his ass off and did everything the right way, damn that's pretty cold to condemn him as a steroid abuser.  Test the man... and if he passes, he passes.

Either way, good on him taking life by the balls and bringing his wrestling career back from the dead.  Taking steroids may show a lack of integrity, but there are lots of unemployed people with integrity to burn, and it ain't paying the bills.  If he's clean, I give him double props.

Yeah.  True.  The steroid issue isnt just Jinder's life choices.  Its a message to other guys that even if you're not very good and even if you hurt guys, if you look like that you will get a push and make more money.  That leads to guys making poor decisions because they feel pressured to. 

Its not the end of the world because WWE is still pushing Owens and Finn and Ambrose and Miz and Nak etc.  But there seems to be a distinct change recently which one would suspect is Vince.  When the chips were down Vince always went back to what he knows - big guys.  This is a company that had nothing for AJ Styles at WM and its top two titles are Brock and Orton.

Im probably more offended by the poor booking of Jinder.  I actually like Jinder.  I would have disliked him if I was the booker and he carelessly hurt one of my top guys.  But regardless of that incident, he is working hard.  And there's a benefit to pushing an ethnic star.  But its a criticism of their booking that he went from losing to Finn to challenging for the world title.  Should have rehabbed him first.  But whatever,  It might work.  WWE doesnt really book in a traditional way anymore unless its a Vince project (like Stroman) or Hunter project.  Most everyone else its just about filling all their hours of programming.

I'm not Gbill so I'm certainly not going to throw out an accusation about steroids and I certainly don't have enough skin in the game to even care whether or not flavor of the month Jinder Mahal is on steroids.

But if I had to bet on it ... it's pretty easy to take one look at the acne on his back and do the math.

He's also got a strange amount of vascularity for a guy who hardly had any before.

He also should get his gyno fixed.

#HinderTheJinder

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm not Gbill so I'm certainly not going to throw out an accusation about steroids and I certainly don't have enough skin in the game to even care whether or not flavor of the month Jinder Mahal is on steroids.

But if I had to bet on it ... it's pretty easy to take one look at the acne on his back and do the math.

He's also got a strange amount of vascularity for a guy who hardly had any before.

He also should get his gyno fixed.

#HinderTheJinder

Come on Mike.  All those things are caused by diet and training.