Wrestling

Rich

I was watching some ROH action on the weekend.  Not sure about the "top star" potential of the Young Bucks but they put on a good match and they are entertaining on the mic.

RAW last night was just average as usual but man I love Braun Strowman, he is the best part of that show.

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Strowman and the lesnar Joe stuff is really.. Well thats it pretty much. The rest truly is just filler. 

Yup.  They're going to make a big mistake on Sunday and not put Joe over.

Actually, I assume they see they have something there and likely will do a screwjob finish to set up a return match.

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup.  They're going to make a big mistake on Sunday and not put Joe over.

Actually, I assume they see they have something there and likely will do a screwjob finish to set up a return match.

Paul Heyman turns, screws over Lesnar, Joe wins the title and Heyman becomes his manager.

Some fun TNA news.

Ofcourse they have re-branded to Global Force Wrestling (which is better than TNA but still sucks).  They were making new belts and had a couple of them backstage this past week but the logos were wrong (old GFW logo) and one of the belts is said to be identical to a current WWE belt (I'd assume the IC).  They decided not to debut them yet and will be making new ones for all the belts and debuting in August.

The ones they already made were said to be be cheap bootleg quality. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Some fun TNA news.

Ofcourse they have re-branded to Global Force Wrestling (which is better than TNA but still sucks).  They were making new belts and had a couple of them backstage this past week but the logos were wrong (old GFW logo) and one of the belts is said to be identical to a current WWE belt (I'd assume the IC).  They decided not to debut them yet and will be making new ones for all the belts and debuting in August.

The ones they already made were said to be be cheap bootleg quality. 

Sorry if I missed your post or a link to this Global Force Wrestling,  but what exactly is Jeff starting, a new promotion with a new roster or essentially rebranding IMPACT wrestling since that is what became of TNA originally. If they are seperate entities,  does Jeff have any big names going for the ride with him?

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

21 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Sorry if I missed your post or a link to this Global Force Wrestling,  but what exactly is Jeff starting, a new promotion with a new roster or essentially rebranding IMPACT wrestling since that is what became of TNA originally. If they are seperate entities,  does Jeff have any big names going for the ride with him?

A little history:

Jeff Jarrett originally founded TNA in 2002 with his father.  The idea was a PPV-only promotion.  They would air their TV every Wednesday (I believe) on PPV for $10 and they felt there was enough of a market after WCW & ECW was swallowed up by WWE to make a go of it.

Unfortunately, it didnt work.  PPV was always successful *because* you had "free TV" to promote it.  Without that, they simply werent generating enough revenue.

Even more unfortunately, one of their top business people who was in charge of the PPV finances over-reported the amount of revenue.  You have to wait X amount of time to get the actual money from the PPV providers.  For some reason, this person maliciously over-reported the numbers so Jeff and his dad operated under the assumption of X amount of revenue coming in.  When it actually came in, it was way less and they were basically on the verge of bankruptcy. 

But their Public Relations person was Dixie Carter.  She went to her dad, who owned an oil business in Texas and convinced him to finance her purchase of TNA.  She bought a controlling interest leaving Jeff with a minority interest (somewhere in the 40's% range).  Jeff's dad was bought out (and his departure created a rift between father & son for many years (I think it was Jeff's wife dying of cancer that finally brought them back - Jerry Jarrett felt Jeff chose Vince Russo over him).

Years later, Jeff began dating Karen Angle (Kurt's ex wife).  They kept the relationship secret but when it came out, Dixie was livid.  It resulted in Jeff being exiled from TNA, maintaining his ownership.

Jeff hooked up with country music star (and very wealthy) Toby Keith to try to buy the rest of TNA from Dixie Carter.  They had a deal in place with Dixie's dad but he insisted Dixie be kept on as an executive.  Toby didnt want to have to keep anyone he didnt want (and clearly Jeff wanted Dixie out) and the deal fell apart.

Jeff decided to try and start a new promotion from scratch.  Reportedly Toby remained interested but not without a national TV deal.  Jeff started Global Force Wrestling and tried to get a TV deal, to no avail.

He ran bought shows at minor league baseball stadiums and filmed them so he had video to pitch Networks.  He used many guys that he had used in TNA but not big names.

Jeff also booked himself on Indy shows around North America as a "talent scout" for Global Force.

Meanwhile, TNA continued to hemorrhage money and Dixie's parents had enough and tried to sell it. 

TNA needed cheap talent, a hot angle and someone for their Hall of Fame and Dixie reached out to Jeff and made a deal to have Global Force "invade" TNA.  Jeff would go into the Hall of Fame, GFW would be promoted and Jeff would agree to sell the remainder of his TNA stock to Dixie.  When the angle was over, they went their separate ways.

That's when Billy Corgan sued Dixie claiming he was owed stake in the company.  TNA was on the verge of bankruptcy.

Global Force more or less stopped running altogether.  Jarrett hooked up with some gold selling scheme using Global Force as the front (Global Force Gold) for some multi-level marketing scheme that, I assume, went nowhere.  I dont know anyone who wanted to buy Gold from Jeff Jarrett.

Dixie was finally able to sell TNA to Anthem (owned by Canadian-based The Fight Network).  She maintained a board seat and executive title but was quickly ousted or marginalized.

Since Anthem didnt know anything about wrestling, but knew enough to get rid of Dixie, they brought in Jeff Jarrett as an adviser.

Whatever advice Jeff gave, Anthem liked because they hired him to run TNA.  He immediately brought back "his" guys from Global Force and had the GFW champions appear on TNA TV.  The idea was kind of sound in that they would build up GFW vs TNA championship matched and try to draw heat off it.  But GFW effectively didnt exist since they didnt run any shows.

And last week, Anthem announced they had purchased this non-existent promotion, GFW, and would use it as its new brand, replacing TNA.

In short, Jarrett was gifted TNA originally, bankrupted it, sold majority to Dixie, was fired, founded GFW, drove it to virtual bankruptcy, was paid for his minority stake in money-losing TNA, brought in to run TNA when Anthem bought it and was paid for the non-existent GFW which is now TNA and he runs it.

Jeff Jarrett - great man.

No big names outside Lashley and Del Rio (and Gail Kim to a degree, Konnan) but these were all TNA guys anyway.  And the fact they bought cheap bootleg quality belts tells you where their finances are.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Just watching Smackdown and they had a rap battle between The New Day and the Usos.  I was expecting it to be totally lame and cringey but they stole the show.

The Usos called out Big E's big boobs, Kofi Kingston for being a fake Jamaican, and even Xavier Woods' video with Paige!

Xavier Woods came back saying the Usos were only relevant because his wife is on Total Divas.

The New Day were judged the winners because the Usos attacked them which was not allowed.  But the Usos crushed it and everyone knew who really won.  Crowd went nuts when the Woods/Paige video was referenced.  Great segment.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Just watching Smackdown and they had a rap battle between The New Day and the Usos.  I was expecting it to be totally lame and cringey but they stole the show.

The Usos called out Big E's big boobs, Kofi Kingston for being a fake Jamaican, and even Xavier Woods' video with Paige!

Xavier Woods came back saying the Usos were only relevant because his wife is on Total Divas.

The New Day were judged the winners because the Usos attacked them which was not allowed.  But the Usos crushed it and everyone knew who really won.  Crowd went nuts when the Woods/Paige video was referenced.  Great segment.

That was funny.  Probably would have been lame if Cena was a part of it.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

So what was IMPACT wrestling then? just a temporary name change until this recent GFW acquisition? 

Impact is the name of their TV show, like RAW is the name of WWE's TV show.  When Eric Bichoff came in, he really wanted to get rid of the TNA name and so they began referring to TNA as a whole as "Impact Wrestling" but it didnt really stick.  When Anthem bought it, they began doing the same thing.  I think they decided having the company and the TV show both called Impact was confusing and wanted a more traditional name that invoked an international presence, thus "Global Force Wrestling".

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, Aries one of the really true stars in the Cruiserweight Division gets axed but someone like TJ Perkins & others with lesser skill & talent get to stick around? Well done, WWE. Maybe you should've let Neville drop the belt to him a couple of months ago.

He asked for his release. I dont think hes a big loss to be honest. 

http://rajah.com/node/57027

Styles beat Owens at MSG house show tonight for US title tho. 

Edited by Goalie