Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

22 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

How is it possible that since Chris Jones left..the Eskimos are even less a class organization? 

I'm sure Hervey will do all that he can to see Jones hung from the goalposts in the Riders new stadium.   Over-paying Franklin to sit tight behind Reilly while Sask. moans and grumbles would be well worth the investment towards that end.  For Jones rebuilding an entire team around Durant is a poor option at this point in his career imo.

Durant is old, but the Riders need him cause he still gives them the best chance to win week in and week out. I think they absolutely have to bring him back and find something good behind him for the future otherwise it'll be a rough go of things. 

It would be a huge mistake to take his worth lightly.

But perhaps we'd be entertained at Jones bringing in QBs at 1 per week. If they don't re-sign Durant, they'll easily beat their own record of 100+ players brought in to audition.

And that's fine with me..?

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Popp has more lives than a black cat, it's about time.  My money would be on Trestman (if available) or Barker.

He does, but look at how good the als where since they came back till now. And how many coaches weve run through in that period of time. To and sask would benefit hugely from bringing him in imop. Course the last thing i wanna see is popp headed to ssk. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He does, but look at how good the als where since they came back till now. And how many coaches weve run through in that period of time. To and sask would benefit hugely from bringing him in imop. Course the last thing i wanna see is popp headed to ssk. 

Maybe as a player personel guy like Murphy, but no team is going to give Popp free-reign to wreak havoc like Westehall did.

47 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

I can't see the Bombers making a play for Franklin at this point.  Especially since Nichols being their MOP. I'd imagine he's already considered to be their starter next season.

My recollection is that he signed a 1 year deal prior to this season, so if they are considering him next year's starter already, they might need to formalize a contract.

If I was holding the magic wand, I'm signing Nichols for a 2 year deal and trading for Franklin, giving them both relatively comparable compensation.  Nichols has more up front and Franklin has more incentives, but potentially within $50,000 of each other.  Bring them both in and compete, and the winner is us by likely having the best backup in the league.

And the reason I say magic wand is I doubt Nichols signs on for something like that.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I hope Bombers make a play for somebody who isn't Nichols. I'm just not sold.

Nichols is exactly who you see. No better, but possibly worse. LaPolice should get credit for steering Nichols in a controlled environment. Steady has got us to 11 wins, and that's fantastic, but sold? Not to the point of excitement. 

And excitement is what we need.

Of course, that all changes should we be hoisting the Cup later on this month...

Im not convinced we've seen Nichols true potential. With the major injuries he's had in the past with Edmonton, I think he's a bit behind the progress that some of the other QBs such as Trevor Harris, BLM, Mike Reilly have had. 

Let's see what he does in the playoffs before releasing and salivating over another potential f/a QB.

This is the first winning record we've had in years with stability at the QB position (minus the first 5 games)

Regardless what happens the rest of the season, Nichols deservers a full season as a starter with this team.

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I dont think Nichols is a great qb but with what we've had to live with since Glenn he is.

I'm not sure how he can get better. Don't stop look for another.

Can't help but wonder how many of the losing seasons would be different if we had kept Glenn and developed a QB behind him as a future stater.

If we bring in someone, it will be for backup position and that won't be Franklin.  With the long leash that Willy had with his struggles.  I expect Nichols to return next year.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

are we basically writing off Dom Davis? Sincere question, btw...

We don't know. And that's the problem, we don't know. 

If we had Coaches that were openly excited with the backups, then we'd have a better gauge. But with LaPolice and O'Shea, we get "they're good QBs." 

I mean, really? That's all you got for us?

So, my guess is...they are backups for a reason.

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

Im not convinced we've seen Nichols true potential. With the major injuries he's had in the past with Edmonton, I think he's a bit behind the progress that some of the other QBs such as Trevor Harris, BLM, Mike Reilly have had. 

Let's see what he does in the playoffs before releasing and salivating over another potential f/a QB.

This is the first winning record we've had in years with stability at the QB position (minus the first 5 games)

Regardless what happens the rest of the season, Nichols deservers a full season as a starter with this team.

Those guys showed the big flashes early. Nichols could improve though, and would need to take a step forward next year like he did off last year.

But remember, every one of our QBs are a FA. Including nichols. So even if you assume we can and do sign nichols to an extension for starter money in the off season, we still need a legit back up that can come in and play. hes had a few hard hits and been slow to get up through out his portion of the year with a good OL. Have to have the insurance policy. 

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The part above about all our qbs being a FA. I wouldnt be surprised to see one of davis and bennett come back. They have the same tool set, athletic, short passing accuracy struggle with the deep ball etc. Both have low amount of experience as a starter at the college level. The big difference is davis is 28 next year and bennett is 25. Both guys have the tool set to have some success in our system, but neither is a guy who protects the ball. They arent high up side prospects. Both are guys who started on the bench/RS with big programs and left to small schools for a chance to play. Both guys struggled alot adapting their 2nd year as the guy but still came out.

All the snaps theyve been giving to davis in practice are imop to give him some development and get a better idea of where he is. 

The cup of coffee with mcleod bethel thompson kinda shows whats up. Mid to late in the season you dont have a ton of extra snaps in practice. 

Hard to say if glenn would want to come back as a back up next year. Or if he would be reasonably priced to do so. Especially combined with what ever we pay to our starter. It will probably be our position of biggest turn over next year, I dont think the chances of all 4 guys coming back is very good. 

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not yet, imo.  I don't think they would have been giving him all the 2nd string reps after the Willy trade if they didn't feel there was something there.  I understand Glenn didn't need the reps but I would imagine that Bennett would have gotten a look or two if they didn't feel Davis had what it takes.

I guess if they don't at least try to bring him back in the off-season, we'll have our answer.