Around The NHL 2016/2017

13 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You just don't get it

We also get that it wouldn't even be a penalty if he did that to a player.  If a player got tapped like that and complained to a ref the ref would laugh at him.  So quantifying the incident isn't as easy as it might appear considering the only reason it is an "incident" is because it involved a ref.  The players tap each other on the butts with their sticks harder than that when their leaving the ice from warm-ups.

I would have liked to see a longer suspension because a) meaningful precedent has to be set at some point, and b ) the toothless CBA in place means it will be appealed and cut down to 5 games by some arbitrator.

The reactions of some people in the video are interesting - the ref takes a moment of disbelief over what happens before "yeah, he just intentionally hit me with his stick!" settles in as the conclusion and the hand goes up; Getzlaf standing by the box waiting on an explanation and the chance to argue the call seems to take a while to understand the call because what he's being told doesn't make any sense (rightfully); Carlyle wants to yell at the refs because that's how he's wired but he realizes he can't, so he just doesn't know what to do with that emotion.

I don't usually wade into pure conjecture, but I'd hazard a guess that such an unhinged reaction from Vermette could mean that things aren't right on the homefront.  Before you snap you usually have to get wound pretty tight.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Why compare a player on ref incident to a player on player?  They're not related. At all. 

You just can't contact a ref like that. Period.   I'd hope he  doesn't appeal the 10 games and the league upholds it or extends it.  

I don't think anybody has argued otherwise. That's why he deserves his 10 game suspension.

56 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You just don't get it.  You have no respect for referees and the job they do.  If he dropped the gloves and beat up a ref, forget a suspension, he should be charged with assault.

The refs are not players in the game.  They are off-limits.  Period.

Reasonable response.

Your suggestion of 100 games seems excessive. I agree with him getting 10 games. Agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Why compare a player on ref incident to a player on player?  They're not related. At all. 

You just can't contact a ref like that. Period.   I'd hope he  doesn't appeal the 10 games and the league upholds it or extends it.  

You might also note I'd prefer he got more games.

I'm saying this particular incident is hard to quantify because in hockey terms it was nothing. 

2 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I don't think anybody has argued otherwise. That's why he deserves his 10 game suspension.

I guess you missed the post directly above mine.

2 hours ago, mbrg said:

We also get that it wouldn't even be a penalty if he did that to a player.  If a player got tapped like that and complained to a ref the ref would laugh at him.  So quantifying the incident isn't as easy as it might appear considering the only reason it is an "incident" is because it involved a ref.  The players tap each other on the butts with their sticks harder than that when their leaving the ice from warm-ups.

Here is the NHL's absurd explanation on trouba/Malkin from the sun

An NHL spokesman provided the Sun with a detailed explanation of why the two hits were viewed differently on Monday, before the Trouba hearing even took place.

Starting with the Trouba hit, NHL director of media relations John Dellapina said nobody at the department of player safety believes it was an intentional hit to the head.

However, he said the precedent has been set that if you only hit the head, whether from missed timing of just recklessness, that’s an illegal check to the head that will be considered for a suspension.

If the offending player has no history of illegal hits and there is no injury on the play the suspension would normally start at two games.

As for the Malkin hit, on which the Penguins player left his feet, made contact with Wheeler’s head and hit a player who did not have the puck, Dellapina provided some insight into what the members of the department of player safety were thinking when they chose not to take any supplemental action.

He said there were three things that were really close to the line but player safety didn’t believe any of the three crossed the line to take it to a suspension.

- First the illegal check to the head:

“They watch thousands of these and they think that the body took the main brunt. While the head might have been the first point of contact, that’s not relevant in the rule any more. That was changed. It never was, but people used to mistake principle for first. Principle doesn’t mean first. They judge main and they believe that the shoulder took the main brunt of the hit. One of the tell tale signs for them is his helmet comes back forward over his face. Usually when guys get hit just in the head and the head is the main point of contact, the head snaps back, the helmet doesn’t come flying forward.”

- Secondly, the charging: “That was probably the one they thought was closest. At contact, his feet are in the process of coming off the ice. The way they usually suspend for charging is when they feel somebody launched himself into somebody. They don’t think that’s this. They think this is people coming together in the centre of the ice, you kind of brace yourself and lift up.”

- Thirdly, the interference: “While it’s technically interference, the way they apply the rules, if a guy is making a play on the puck, the fact that he fails to make the play on the puck doesn’t preclude you from hitting him (Wheeler reached for the puck but it was fired away by teammate Mark Stuart before he could touch it).”

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

- Secondly, the charging: “That was probably the one they thought was closest. At contact, his feet are in the process of coming off the ice. The way they usually suspend for charging is when they feel somebody launched himself into somebody. They don’t think that’s this. They think this is people coming together in the centre of the ice, you kind of brace yourself and lift up.

Poor Malkin was just trying to brace himself...

If Buff or Trouba did that exact same hit, they'd be gone for two games.

Edited by Floyd