Around The NHL 2016/2017

The 20-year-old Eichel just completed the second season of his three-year, entry-level contract.

Hamilton reports that the 2015 second overall pick in the National Hockey League Entry Draft had an end-of-the-season exit meeting with general manager Tim Murray last week and was candid in his assessment of a disappointing season in which the rebuilding Sabres finished dead last in the Atlantic Division with 33-37-12 record. They finished 17 points adrift of the Toronto Maple Leafs for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

Murray is expected to meeting with Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula in Florida on Wednesday.

Eichel has not hidden his displeasure with the team over his young NHL career.

“It’s been a mediocre two years,” Eichel told the Buffalo News in early April. “More than anything, it’s a bit disappointing, a bit embarrassing for us as players that we can’t be better for them. You want to please the fans because of all they’ve been through and all they continue to put up with. You just want to be better.”

Eichel continued on that theme during the team's final media availability of the season on April 10th.

"I think guys want to win but there is a difference between saying you want to win and actually wanting to win," Eichel said. "Putting the work in, dedicating your life to it. When you do that and it doesn’t work it is pretty frustrating.”

Last week, Murray noted that there would be a full review of the organization in the coming days and would not speculate on Bylsma's job security other than to offer that he currently remains coach.

“I am the general manager today, [Bylsma] is the coach today, I haven’t had any thoughts of firing him up to this point and the reason I always say today is something could happen tomorrow, so he’s the coach, yes," Murray said.

A native of North Chelmsford, Massachusetts, Eichel is arbitration-eligible after his fourth season in the NHL.

Eichel was the Sabres' leading scorer this season, despite missing 21 games with injury. In 61 games, Eichel tallied 24 goals and 33 assists.

Pretty interesting.  I hate the idea of a star player calling the shots, in terms of management/coaching, but I believe this is basically what happened in Pittsburgh when Bylsma was fired.  Honestly I believe the Sabres would be better off without Bylsma and likely Tim Murray as well.

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I hate the idea of a star player calling the shots, in terms of management/coaching, but I believe this is basically what happened in Pittsburgh when Bylsma was fired.

I think one way or another the players often call the shots. Lots of people think the Jets players got Claude Noelle fired.

People were starting to wonder if some players were trying to get Maurice fired.

It's just more obvious for instance in the NBA, where they don't even pretend that it's otherwise.

I agree, it doesn't seem like a good way to run a sports team.

His agents now saying its not true.  Which they will say of course.  As Atomic pointed out, didnt Bylsma's term in Pittsburgh end when Crosby decided it was time for him to go?  Odd because Im sure I recall Bylsma being considered a player's coach who came in and let the players play their way.  Then again, wasnt he forcing a defensive system on them and once he was replaced, the star players flourished again?

Guess Jack is calling the shots in Buffalo.

Funny, they were talking about the reports of the player wanting the coach fired on the Big Show this morning and one of the guys said "do you think maybe the whole front office needs to be changed?"  An hour later, voila.

And if I heard correctly, Bylsma has 3 years left and I believe $9 million.

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Guess Jack is calling the shots in Buffalo.

Funny, they were talking about the reports of the player wanting the coach fired on the Big Show this morning and one of the guys said "do you think maybe the whole front office needs to be changed?"  An hour later, voila.

And if I heard correctly, Bylsma has 3 years left and I believe $9 million.

I feel bad for the owner. He puts a lot of money into that team. That being said, he extended Murray and let Bylsma get a long term deal.

It's going to be an interesting locker room next year.

EDIT: Maybe it's Troy and Jim that all the shots in Buffalo?

Edited by JCon

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Now, there's no question Bylsma sucks...he sucked as a player, he sucks as a coach....and I really don't think Tim Murray is much better.....having SAID that, when you start letting guys like Eichel call the shots, you have BIG problems...

Yeah but when you draft a franchise player isnt that player always going to have some stroke?  Crosby does.  Wayne did.  Mario did.  Its different because he's 20 years old.  But this makes sense as to why his agent was so upset yesterday.  He knew Eichel would take the heat for this.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah but when you draft a franchise player isnt that player always going to have some stroke?  Crosby does.  Wayne did.  Mario did.  Its different because he's 20 years old.  But this makes sense as to why his agent was so upset yesterday.  He knew Eichel would take the heat for this.

I think the point is more that you can't let it APPEAR like the kid is calling the shots. Whether the franchise guy does or doesn't have stroke isn't as important as the optics of a 20 year old punk American thinking he's bigger than the game.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think the point is more that you can't let it APPEAR like the kid is calling the shots. Whether the franchise guy does or doesn't have stroke isn't as important as the optics of a 20 year old punk American thinking he's bigger than the game.

Thats true and they didnt allow any buffer between that report and the ousting.  Will be interesting to see what happens with some players there now.  Will Kane survive the new administration?

People will obviously make the connection between the Eichel rumours and this happening, but I'm not so sure it's the cause.  Or at least, it is not the only cause.  Buffalo has been a mess for awhile, from Murray on down.  It's just unfortunate that they made this move right now as it definitely looks like Eichel demanded the coach be fired and ownership acquiesced.  But at the end of the day, Buffalo will likely be better off for this.

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

People will obviously make the connection between the Eichel rumours and this happening, but I'm not so sure it's the cause.  Or at least, it is not the only cause.  Buffalo has been a mess for awhile, from Murray on down.  It's just unfortunate that they made this move right now as it definitely looks like Eichel demanded the coach be fired and ownership acquiesced.  But at the end of the day, Buffalo will likely be better off for this.

LA fires Coach/GM. Buffalo hires ex-LA Coach/GM. Can't go wrong with that strategy.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

20 year old punk American - try 20 yr old best player / face of the franchise.  I get where you're coming from, but if there's anyone who can/should speak out about the Sabres - it's Eichel.  And bigger than the game?  I mean that's pretty generalized.  He IS the biggest part of the Sabres - frankly, I think I'd rather have a guy who owns that & appreciates his status in the org over the guys who couldn't be bothered by what the team does and how they do it. 

Remember Scheifele's garbage bag day comments re; Maurice?  We can debate his message or what he was intending to say - what's undebatable is the weight of Scheifele's message. It was important and much-talked about because 55 is our face of the franchise.  If he came out tomorrow and said, "I'd be a lot happier if we found a new coach" - we would find a new coach.  That I have no doubt. 

This kind of thing happens FAR more in other sports, maybe us do-gooder Canadians just need to keep pace with the times.  The stars do the run the show.  Good thing or bad thing, it varies I'd guess.  But I just think that's the reality we live in. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

20 year old punk American - try 20 yr old best player / face of the franchise.  I get where you're coming from, but if there's anyone who can/should speak out about the Sabres - it's Eichel.  And bigger than the game?  I mean that's pretty generalized.  He IS the biggest part of the Sabres - frankly, I think I'd rather have a guy who owns that & appreciates his status in the org over the guys who couldn't be bothered by what the team does and how they do it. 

Remember Scheifele's garbage bag day comments re; Maurice?  We can debate his message or what he was intending to say - what's undebatable is the weight of Scheifele's message. It was important and much-talked about because 55 is our face of the franchise.  If he came out tomorrow and said, "I'd be a lot happier if we found a new coach" - we would find a new coach.  That I have no doubt. 

This kind of thing happens FAR more in other sports, maybe us do-gooder Canadians just need to keep pace with the times.  The stars do the run the show.  Good thing or bad thing, it varies I'd guess.  But I just think that's the reality we live in. 

He hasn't been there long enough...I don't care how big a "star" you might be, you have to earn the right to speak up and he hasn't yet. It only comes with longevity. If anyone's gonna speak up, it's a vet. If there's a problem with coaching, or if Eichel had a personal problem, then it should go through a veteran leader....that's how these things work.

Such a ridiculous story...  it just sounds like Eichel was honest in his end of season interview with the team - probably along with a lot of other players on that crew....  If Jets have another losing season, Trouba will say the same thing about Maurice.