Around The NHL 2016/2017

47 minutes ago, Floyd said:

$10 million for being knocked down by a guy who's half dazed...  what a joke.

First, I'm not sure what being hit by someone who is or isn't half dazed has to do with the severity of his injuries, but the fact is that the ref hasn't worked a game since the hit.  So Wideman effectively ended this guys career.

Second, if Wideman really was half dazed, then concussion protocol should have kicked in and he should have gone to the quiet room.  But he didn't.  So he was either half dazed and the team and the player ignored concussion protocols or they didn't and he was fine.  You can't have it both ways.  Either way something there isn't right.

Willing to also bet this lawsuit is a result of Wideman and the NHLPA knocking his suspension down to peanuts.

The joke is Wideman effectively ended a guys career then got the PA to cut his suspension down in half.  I don't know if that is worth $10M, but they didn't get justice through league discipline, so they've gone to the next route available.

Widemans quote immediately after the game.

“Throughout my career I think I’ve treated every official with the utmost respect and I would never try to intentionally hit a linesman or a ref or anything like that,” explained Wideman, who was ready for the media crush waiting for him after the game.

“It was completely unintentional, and I already apologized to him. Obviously I took a pretty hard hit down in the corner and had some pretty good pain in my shoulder and neck and was just trying to get off the ice.

“I was kind of keeled over and at the last second I saw him and I couldn’t avoid it. I went up to Donnie and apologized. I couldn’t see him and didn’t know where to go or how to get away from him.”

Which doesn't match the video.  Yes, he is hit in the corner.  then he skates to the bench.  Slaps his stick onto the ice in frustration / anger then clearly and forcefully cross checks the ref.  That wasn't a last minute hit where he just ran into the guy.

26 minutes ago, Rich said:

First, I'm not sure what being hit by someone who is or isn't half dazed has to do with the severity of his injuries, but the fact is that the ref hasn't worked a game since the hit.  So Wideman effectively ended this guys career.

Second, if Wideman really was half dazed, then concussion protocol should have kicked in and he should have gone to the quiet room.  But he didn't.  So he was either half dazed and the team and the player ignored concussion protocols or they didn't and he was fine.  You can't have it both ways.  Either way something there isn't right.

Willing to also bet this lawsuit is a result of Wideman and the NHLPA knocking his suspension down to peanuts.

The joke is Wideman effectively ended a guys career then got the PA to cut his suspension down in half.  I don't know if that is worth $10M, but they didn't get justice through league discipline, so they've gone to the next route available.

Interesting... when I watched it, Wideman's head smashed into the glass when he was hit and looked 'off' going to the bench.  I didn't see slamming the stick as frustration but to signal a change which probably wasn't scheduled.  To me, I don't think he was headhunting the ref, hit was intentional but if you're heads scrambled, you can't be held accountable for that.  

Both Wideman and Ref stayed in the game - maybe the ref hasn't worked a game since based on advice from his lawyer...

Flames/NHL end it with a smaller settlement so that the ref drops this.  This opens a can of worms about concussions and protocol.

19 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Interesting... when I watched it, Wideman's head smashed into the glass when he was hit and looked 'off' going to the bench.  I didn't see slamming the stick as frustration but to signal a change which probably wasn't scheduled.  To me, I don't think he was headhunting the ref, hit was intentional but if you're heads scrambled, you can't be held accountable for that.  

Both Wideman and Ref stayed in the game - maybe the ref hasn't worked a game since based on advice from his lawyer...

Flames/NHL end it with a smaller settlement so that the ref drops this.  This opens a can of worms about concussions and protocol.

I don't think it was predatory or pre-meditated.  I think it was reactionary when he saw someone in front of him, but to me it looks like there was intent to cross check on that hit and not just someone surprised to see someone in front of him.

Truthfully only Wideman knows what or wasn't going on in his head when he did it.

Henderson still had his career ended whether Wideman knew what he was doing or not.  Is there a responsibility there on Wideman's part or is that a "risk" of Henderson's job?

You are right, I don't think the NHL will want this going to court.

Edit:   As to staying in the game ... this happened behind the play.  Had a ref actually seen what happened, Wideman would have been ejected for sure.  Even Henderson wouldn't have known how he got hit.  As for Henderson faking this on advice from a lawyer ... I don't buy that.  

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

$10 million for being knocked down by a guy who's half dazed...  what a joke.

It was gutless. They said Wideman had a concussion & was confused. Well, he never missed a shift on the ice. Why would Hartley put a guy who is confused back out on the ice if he was out of it? Why didn't the Flames take him out of the game? Where was the concussion protocol as Rich said? That hit  was just so blatant. Plus, the guy is the worst defenseman on the team making huge money for what he's really worth.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Not pre mediated obviously. But he committed the act. He did it. It wasn't an accident. It happened. Heat of the moment?  Sure. Angry. Hurt. Frustrated. He struck out at the first person in his path. But he did it. 

And then he lied to try and get away with it. S screw him. That's what elevates this from a bad decision to a piece of you know what. 

Regardless people get hurt in accidents all the time and someone pays. 

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

What part of Wideman's career leads you to this conclusion?  I could see if this was a guy like Kadri or Perry.

Wideman's actions over his career might come into play when discussing the amount of punitive damages.  But as far as the act he committed, it doesnt really matter if its a first time offense.  If you never so much as get a parking ticket and then murder someone, you still did it.  The judge/jury will consider your past (good or bad) at sentencing.  But guilt and innocence isnt determined by prior bad acts or lack thereof.  This isnt a he said/she said.  It was on video.

9 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well the NHL is not a plaintiff and they might hold a grudge against Flames/Wideman so maybe they won't do anything to help.

It probably ends with a settlement but Im not sure there is a can of worms to open other than how shitty the PA was for throwing a ref under the bus.  The PA doesnt want any more fuel to the fire that the league needs more power to discipline its players.  There isnt really a concussion issue because I think its pretty well accepted that Wideman was lying about having one.  He didnt.  The ref did though and I would assume if it happened today, that ref would be in the quiet room too.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

What did Steve Moore get in his lawsuit? Just wondering, since his future earning potential obviously had to be regarded as higher than Henderson's.

Quite a bit more than $10M, that's for sure.

On July 2, 2014, during Steve Moore's first appearance at his civil trial, he further amended the lawsuit, seeking CAD$68 million in damages, up from CAD$38 million.[36] On August 19, 2014, it was announced that an out-of-court settlement had been reached in Steve Moore's lawsuit. Terms of the settlement are confidential.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bertuzzi–Steve_Moore_incident

20 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Is Chicago done?

out first round last year, but scrapped.

out first round this year, without a whimper.

I think it might be over.

I have a hard time believing that.  But another poor showing in the playoffs next year may result in them moving on from Quenneville.

Chicago's core is still very strong - Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford are all in their prime.  It's just a matter of surrounding them with the right pieces.  The challenge is that the amount of money allocated to those five players means that almost everyone else on the roster has to be making a million or less.

27 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Is Chicago done?

out first round last year, but scrapped.

out first round this year, without a whimper.

I think it might be over.

I don't think so.

I think it might highlight their need to be more active throughout the season and nearing the trading deadline to ensure they have the best team possible for post season. Sort of like can't rest on their laurels type thinking.

They still finished with 109 points and the most regulation time wins (50) in the league.  

However this means nothing if they can't make it past the first round.

I don't know about the Hawks....

Toews & Kane still in their prime, with Panarin and some other pieces.  Crawford should have a few good years left.

That D would worry me though.  Keith & Seabrook are 33 and 32 - that's not their prime what-so-ever.  Prime years was 3-5 years ago for those two. 

Eventually, even the great teams need change, I wonder if big changes are coming for them in the next 12 months. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I don't know about the Hawks....

Toews & Kane still in their prime, with Panarin and some other pieces.  Crawford should have a few good years left.

That D would worry me though.  Keith & Seabrook are 33 and 32 - that's not their prime what-so-ever.  Prime years was 3-5 years ago for those two. 

Eventually, even the great teams need change, I wonder if big changes are coming for them in the next 12 months. 

I had no idea they were that old.  I would have guessed 28-30.  huh.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

I had no idea they were that old.  I would have guessed 28-30.  huh.

Me too!  I was all set in agreement with your last post, until I googled their ages.

That's not ancient by any means; but really, what do the Hawks realistically expect from those 2?  1, maybe 2 more really good years left?

....give it 24 months and maybe Crawford is here backing up Comrie and Seabrook & Keith are anchoring Wpg's bottom pair en route to a Cup run*.  

*Disclaimer - may or may not have been drinking at lunch.