Around The NHL 2016/2017

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, agree. One of the reasons I never liked the guy. He seemed to like it better when the Flames were eliminated so he could golf instead of play hockey for his country. Always had a lame excuse for never playing in the World Championships. For over a decade, every year. Now he's a fourth line winger that Canada would never want unable to win a SC championship.

yeah, he didn't really do much for the Flames during their 2004 run... <_<

12 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The Oilers always encouraged their players to go if they were eliminated (har har, heard the jokes). They felt it was a good experience and Ryan Smyth as an example always said the goal was to play hockey in the spring so that was just another way to do it. Iginla was a loser for not going if you ask me, lots of years Canada coulda used him. 

Jay Boumeester used to always turn down the invite too.

5 hours ago, bearpants said:

yeah, he didn't really do much for the Flames during their 2004 run... <_<

One frigging season. How many years with him did they miss the playoffs? Or were eliminated early?? Iggy was a great regular season player. When it came to the playoffs he couldn't do what he did during the season. Either the Flames were eliminated early or never even made the post season but he put up lots of points.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

One frigging season. How many years with him did they miss the playoffs? Or were eliminated early?? Iggy was a great regular season player. When it came to the playoffs he couldn't do what he did during the season. Either the Flames were eliminated early or never even made the post season but he put up lots of points.

Yep, I have an irrational hate on for certain players, too. 'Tis why we're all fans and not paid to talk hockey. 

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

ESPN day of reckoning. Firing hockey department. 

if espn was your only sports news source, you would not know that NHL playoffs are on.

However, you would know what LeBron had for breakfast today, whether he liked it or not, and whether this will affect his performance. Also, the ethics of his breakfast choice. Morally ok or not? And what effect the breakfast will have on  his legacy.

absolute drivel, almost non stop.

The other day I heard Mike and Mike whine that LeBron was being treated unfairly. :lol:

Can't listen for more than one minute.

Edited by Mark F

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Yep, I have an irrational hate on for certain players, too. 'Tis why we're all fans and not paid to talk hockey. 

Don't know if it's irrational but yeah I haven't the same respect for Iggy as other players. He could have stepped up just once & played for his country when the annual Flames tailspin occurred. I think I may have looked at him a lot differently as a player.

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Don't know if it's irrational but yeah I haven't the same respect for Iggy as other players. He could have stepped up just once & played for his country when the annual Flames tailspin occurred. I think I may have looked at him a lot differently as a player.

Jarome Iginla has won five gold medals in 42 games with Team Canada, scoring 19 goals and 15 assists for 34 points total. At the 1996 World Junior Hockey Championship, which Canada won, Iginla led the tournament in scoring with 12 points and was named the tournament’s best forward. He was also part of the Canadian teams that won the 1997 World Hockey Championship in Helsinki and the 2004 World Cup.

In 2002, Iginla became the first Black male athlete to win a gold medal in an Olympic Winter Games, when Team Canada won the men’s hockey tournament. At the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, Iginla led the tournament with five goals as Canada won its first Olympic gold medal in men’s hockey on home soil.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/jarome-iginla/#h3_jump_7

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Which years are you referencing?  Cgy made the Finals in '03/'04.  Lockout the next season. Then they made the playoffs the next 4 seasons.

So your gripe is him not participating in 3 possible tourneys from 2009 - 2013?   Jarome was 32 - 35 yrs old these seasons. 

I don't know how many 32 yr olds typically suit up for the World Cup, but I'd guess it isn't too many. 

Just now, Jimmy Pop said:

Which years are you referencing?  Cgy made the Finals in '03/'04.  Lockout the next season. Then they made the playoffs the next 4 seasons.

So your gripe is him not participating in 3 possible tourneys from 2009 - 2013?   Jarome was 32 - 35 yrs old these seasons. 

I don't know how many 32 yr olds typically suit up for the World Cup, but I'd guess it isn't too many. 

I should also add that in the 3 seasons for which he could have suited up for the World Cup team, he played all 82 games in every season - 09/10, 10/11 & 11/12.

So, logically we can say he gave his all to the Flames.  Don't see an argument against that....

Fast forward to Sept2011 - training camp is underway, and Iggy is knocked out of camp day 1 with back spasms. 

...geez what a terrible Canadian Iggy was.  34 yrs old, 1100 NHL games played and he couldn't be bothered to help Canada in a tournament no Canadian cares about. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Flames made the playoffs to lose the 1st round every year. Four of 5 extra games, whatever. They've never won another playoff series after 04. Then, they couldn't even make the playoffs with Iggy on the roster.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I should also add that in the 3 seasons for which he could have suited up for the World Cup team, he played all 82 games in every season - 09/10, 10/11 & 11/12.

So, logically we can say he gave his all to the Flames.  Don't see an argument against that....

Fast forward to Sept2011 - training camp is underway, and Iggy is knocked out of camp day 1 with back spasms. 

...geez what a terrible Canadian Iggy was.  34 yrs old, 1100 NHL games played and he couldn't be bothered to help Canada in a tournament no Canadian cares about. :rolleyes:

People care... Why send a team if we don't? You mean to say that you don't care.

Edited by SpeedFlex27