Around The NHL 2016/2017

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yeah, but how often does that happen? And, you have insurance to cover you in case of a catastrophic injury.

I say, for Trouba, he's better to wait and sign next offseason. And, maybe he truly wants out and then the Jets will need to move him. Speculating of course but I don't see him getting any less per year, if he waits and maybe, he gets more.

Insurance will only cover you for the contract that you have.  That is the point.  If he signs the extension this off season and gets hurt, he is guaranteed his 8 years salary.  If he waits and gets hurt, the Jets and any NHL team can walk away from signing him.

Personally, I don't think he signs.  I never believed his holding out was related to playing time.   The rumours about his Dad not being able to come up to Canada to watch him play and the failed app that was blamed on market size (I don't think his app would work in any NHL market) to me means there are a lot of outside pressures on Trouba for him to play closer to home in the States.

The question remains what Trouba actually wants and how much influence those people have over him.

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Why not?  The gamble you take with trying to boost your numbers another season is that you dont...or you get hurt.  We're talking generational money here.  Do you decline that?  How much are we talking for a long term deal, over $50 million for sure.  Does he say "nah, lets see if I can do better?"

If he's determined to leave Winnipeg, sure, he declines.  But boy, is that a risk.  That is the kind of money that secures your grand childrens futures.  And keeps your dad in whatever hair-brained schemes he comes up with.

Pro athletes gamble on themselves all the time.  You don't get to that level without having an incredible level of self-confidence.  Unless he absolutely bombs (unlikely, and you know he's not even considering that possibility) or gets a career-ending injury (very rare), he's going to end up with a long term deal.  It's really not that much of a gamble to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Insurance will only cover you for the contract that you have.  

You can get insurance policies (the player themselves) that pay out a lot more in case of career ending injuries.

The team takes out insurance on the contracts, reimbursing them for having to pay you out.

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yeah, but how often does that happen? And, you have insurance to cover you in case of a catastrophic injury.

I say, for Trouba, he's better to wait and sign next offseason. And, maybe he truly wants out and then the Jets will need to move him. Speculating of course but I don't see him getting any less per year, if he waits and maybe, he gets more.

If the goal for any young player is to get that big money long term contract, then you have to consider it.  And I think it is.  Usually thats what you want.  Maximum dollars for maximum years.  Because once you have that contract, nothing else matters.   Injury, poor play etc.  You get paid.

20 minutes ago, Rich said:

Insurance will only cover you for the contract that you have.  That is the point.  If he signs the extension this off season and gets hurt, he is guaranteed his 8 years salary.  If he waits and gets hurt, the Jets and any NHL team can walk away from signing him.

Personally, I don't think he signs.  I never believed his holding out was related to playing time.   The rumours about his Dad not being able to come up to Canada to watch him play and the failed app that was blamed on market size (I don't think his app would work in any NHL market) to me means there are a lot of outside pressures on Trouba for him to play closer to home in the States.

The question remains what Trouba actually wants and how much influence those people have over him.

I agree.  And there was some speculation around the time he signed that he was very frustrated with the advice he had received and just wanted to play.  Maybe being here and seeing the talent we have and seeing other guys sign contracts, perhaps he sees it as a good fit.

Ask any player if they'd prefer to play in their favorite city and never win or a city they didnt choose but win a cup.  Of course, nothing is guaranteed. 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

If the goal for any young player is to get that big money long term contract, then you have to consider it.  And I think it is.  Usually thats what you want.  Maximum dollars for maximum years.  Because once you have that contract, nothing else matters.   Injury, poor play etc.  You get paid.

True, but Trouba is going to get paid wherever he goes. However, the little bit of leverage he has can ensure he gets little bit more. Either through sponsorship opportunities, app development (:rolleyes:), or taxes. Maybe even all 3.

Plus, maybe he wants to be closer to home, family or his girlfriend. Who knows?!

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

True, but Trouba is going to get paid wherever he goes. However, the little bit of leverage he has can ensure he gets little bit more. Either through sponsorship opportunities, app development (:rolleyes:), or taxes. Maybe even all 3.

Plus, maybe he wants to be closer to home, family or his girlfriend. Who knows?!

Yes, he will get paid wherever but not for at least two more years, possibly more.  And even then, Jets would trade him to wherever they want to trade him.

Unless his agent goes out and finds a team willing to part with an amazing offer, Trouba has zero choice in this matter for years.  So he can take the money now or take his chances to set up a scenario where he chooses his team years from now.  Players usually dont do that.

Look at Kane.  Wanted out of Winnipeg from the moment he arrived.  Requested a trade every single year.  Still signed a long term contract because thats what you do.  If you can get paid today, get paid today.

I think he signs an extension this summer.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

But regardless of that, wasn't it rumoured the Jets had an offer on the table? Something long-term?

You can put whatever you want on the table but if the agent has said he isn't going to listen to it or take it back to his client, then what?

Just now, Rich said:

You can put whatever you want on the table but if the agent has said he isn't going to listen to it or take it back to his client, then what?

Then nothing - obviously. It was clear back then no offer was going to be entertained by Trouba's camp.

On 5/19/2017 at 10:04 AM, Rich said:

Can you elaborate on this?... Trouba's dad is trying to launch some kind of app??... Also, why can't Trouba's dad come to Canada? Does he can a conviction or something?...

6 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Can you elaborate on this?... Trouba's dad is trying to launch some kind of app??... Also, why can't Trouba's dad come to Canada? Does he can a conviction or something?...

I believe in Trouba's rookie year he launched the "Jacob Trouba" app.  I'm not sure what the function of the app was but apparently it was not very successful.

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Most of it's easy to find if you've got 10 mins to Google.

- "Jacob Trouba" the app gets released to little fanfare

- interesting references to father Trouba and his (over?)-involvement in youth hockey where they're from

- the "can't come here" comment I can speak to, but re-reading Rich's post it's entirely possible he simply means travelling to see Jake play often isn't realistic unless they were to move to Wpg.

-------------------------

Biggest telling 'event' in the Trouba saga for me was when the Sun's Wiebe tracked him down at the World Championships - so he's not really in NHL mode at the time, keep it mind - and Weiber got printable quotes from him on how little playing his offside mattered to him.  "not my favourite, but whatever helps the team" stuff....  'twas quite the far cry from the statement proclaiming Wpg to be holding back his career b/c Buff & Myers were ahead on the right side depth chart.

9 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I heard about the app but not his dad could not come to canada rumour. Biggest one was the gf/nursing student one.

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Totally going by memory here, but at one point I think he stopped using Twitter and tried to get his fans to connect to him through his phone app (though I could be completely out to lunch on this as his Twitter account has recent activity)

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/1-to-1-fan-jacob-trouba/id904355703?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Pixofactor.JacobTrouba&hl=en

Free Press article on it if you can get passed the paywall  http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/trouba-takes-on-own-app-277037201.html

As to his father, I will take that part back.  I thought I had read a rumour about that somewhere, but can't find the source.  Also found an article where he was in the country when Trouba first signed.

Regarding Papa Trouba, there was a lawsuit involving him.  Not sure if it was criminal as I cant recall and didnt read through all the details here.  Assuming this is the correct Papa Trouba, which it appears to be

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOURTS-mied-2_10-cv-11091/pdf/USCOURTS-mied-2_10-cv-11091-0.pdf

EDIT: To save you the trouble, he was sued buy a company he was CFO for for using corporate funds for personal things.

He was fired and accused of misappropriation, fraud, embezzlement etc.  Then declared bankruptcy.  The court records specifically state there was no mention of criminal charges.

Edited by The Unknown Poster