Brendan Lemieux

Ducky

12 hours ago, Rich said:

Not sure why everyone wants to trade away serviceable players and push rookies into the lineup.

I think the feeling among some people is  that if you're going young u might as well send the old to the carousel else the sandman will come after you.

I look at it this way, you have 8 guys who are more or less locks to make the team:

Nikolaj Ehlers        Mark Scheifele        Blake Wheeler
Mathieu Perreault    Bryan Little        Patrik Laine
Shawn Matthias   Drew Stafford    

Now you have these guys battling for 4 or 5 spots:

Lowry, Copp, Burmistrov, Thorburn, Peluso, Armia, Dano, Lemieux, Petan, Connor

Sure Lemieux could make it but he's got some good, experienced players ahead of him.  I think he starts with the Moose.

The Jets' have said in the past their intent has been for guys to over-ripen on the Moose.  Their decision making with Petan and even Lowry and Copp might not show that.  But they had holes to fill and lesser depth.  They have better depth now.  They will lean towards good players spending time on the Moose and developing their games and embracing the Jets culture and earning the spot on the big team.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The Jets' have said in the past their intent has been for guys to over-ripen on the Moose.  Their decision making with Petan and even Lowry and Copp might not show that.  But they had holes to fill and lesser depth.  They have better depth now.  They will lean towards good players spending time on the Moose and developing their games and embracing the Jets culture and earning the spot on the big team.

I like the sound of this and it should mean a better Moose team this season

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They let Lowry play for a year with the Moose, and, at the time, it appeared to be the right move to let him play with the Jets two years ago.

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

They let Lowry play for a year with the Moose, and, at the time, it appeared to be the right move to let him play with the Jets two years ago.

That's debatable.  He was putting up about 0.5 points per game in the AHL on a pretty high-scoring IceCaps team.  Not bad numbers but that doesn't scream out "ready for the NHL."  I'm not saying it was a bad move but he definitely didn't force his way into the lineup.  He got a spot because it was given to him. 

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Lowry played well initially and got everyones hopes up, like Chiarot) but there was really no one to force him out of that 3C role.  Matthias' signing gives them that option.

I still have high hopes for Lowry.  He regressed in pretty much every way last season but hopefully that will be a wake-up call and he comes back with his best season yet.

Amazing that in training camp last year they were talking about him as potentially being the 1C and now he might be fighting for his job.  Competition is good.

In other news, Maurice confirmed they have Trouba penciled in at LHD.  So despite my enthusiasm for Morrissey, it leaves only one LHD spot for three guys to compete over.

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

I look at it this way, you have 8 guys who are more or less locks to make the team:

Nikolaj Ehlers        Mark Scheifele        Blake Wheeler
Mathieu Perreault    Bryan Little        Patrik Laine
Shawn Matthias   Drew Stafford    

Now you have these guys battling for 4 or 5 spots:

Lowry, Copp, Burmistrov, Thorburn, Peluso, Armia, Dano, Lemieux, Petan, Connor

Sure Lemieux could make it but he's got some good, experienced players ahead of him.  I think he starts with the Moose.

Lowry, Burmi, Thorbs are locks too. Coach likes Burmi, he made him a new dog house. Thorbs gets in because he gives PaMa an apple every day.

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Amazing that in training camp last year they were talking about him as potentially being the 1C and now he might be fighting for his job.  Competition is good.

In other news, Maurice confirmed they have Trouba penciled in at LHD.  So despite my enthusiasm for Morrissey, it leaves only one LHD spot for three guys to compete over.

Don't like RHD playing left side. Don't like it at all.

56 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I still have high hopes for Lowry.  He regressed in pretty much every way last season but hopefully that will be a wake-up call and he comes back with his best season yet.

I think Lowry would benefit from attending the same Gary Roberts' camp that Scheifele went to last year.  What really impressed me was the fact that they do a blood test/DNA review and determine what food best metabolizes for the individual player.  So now Scheifele drinks a liter of beet juice before each game, rather than downing pasta or burgers.  If I was in the NHL and looking for that extra jump before camp, and in Lowry/Copp/Dano/Ehlers/Armia's shoes I would go to that Gary Roberts camp.  There is no better investment then an investment in yourself (TM).

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I think Lowry would benefit from attending the same Gary Roberts' camp that Scheifele went to last year.  What really impressed me was the fact that they do a blood test/DNA review and determine what food best metabolizes for the individual player.  So now Scheifele drinks a liter of beet juice before each game, rather than downing pasta or burgers.  If I was in the NHL and in Lowry/Copp/Dano/Ehlers shoes I would go to that camp.  There is no better investment then an investment in yourself (TM).

If I was the Jets I'd consider making some sort of deal whereby its mandatory or the Jets cover the cost or something.  If its that good...and it seems like it is.  Also, if Scheif drinks a liter of Beet Juice then he's far more committed than I'd ever be.

Here's where I got the info on the beet juice (looks like he didn't specify how much he drinks before a game, I just added in the liter part):

The good part for the kids is the Q and A wasn’t just messages of inspiration and instructions to always give back to your community. Scheifele and Hawerchuk made sure to sprinkle in plenty of humour about their hockey lives in Winnipeg to keep the kids interested. Some of the highlights:

-- Scheifele went into detail about his health and fitness under former NHLer Gary Roberts, explaining how DNA testing last summer determined that he doesn’t digest carbohydrates very well. He has bottled water imported from Italy, and he drinks beet juice 90 minutes before each game.

Hawerchuk? “It was pretty basic,” he said. “Spaghetti and meatballs. I got my carbs out of the spaghetti, I got the protein out of the meatballs, and I had a coffee on the way to the rink.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/03/21/former-jets-star-hawerchuk-and-current-top-centre-scheifele-forever-connected