The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

3 hours ago, bb.king said:

Even crazier is Van Halen 1984 came out when I was in high school, and that was only 10 years ago!

I maintain that if cities had anthems, Winnipeg would be Jump. I feel like Winnipeg is just "Forever 1984"... Like the city was never better than then. 

Edited by Noeller

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Sounds like the downtown will look a little different in the coming years

Was having a beer last Friday night at the LOTW bar with another parent and friend. We were commenting on how nice all the new buildings are and how nice it was downtown. We need shelters for the homeless but the investments that taxpayers have made to improve the area are noticeable. 

15 hours ago, JCon said:

Was having a beer last Friday night at the LOTW bar with another parent and friend. We were commenting on how nice all the new buildings are and how nice it was downtown. We need shelters for the homeless but the investments that taxpayers have made to improve the area are noticeable. 

I've spent a fair bit of time the last few weekends at the Sport Manitoba building near Waterfront and it was really nice walking around that area & grabbing a drink at the Pumphouse at the end of the day.  There are areas of downtown that are still pretty bad but there are also areas that have really improved.

43 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I've spent a fair bit of time the last few weekends at the Sport Manitoba building near Waterfront and it was really nice walking around that area & grabbing a drink at the Pumphouse at the end of the day.  There are areas of downtown that are still pretty bad but there are also areas that have really improved.

I worked on the Sport For Life facility file when it was proposed and through construction. It's a great facility. I still remember the groundbreaking ceremony when it wasn't even certain the land would be available, and the city was late with its funding. Those are stories for another day. 

Edited by JCon

6 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I remember when the Exchange District had a bustling bar scene. Those were the days.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/police-superstore-special-theft-1.7349223

One of Canada's largest retailers is spending more than $200,000 a month hiring Winnipeg police officers to protect its business, an increase police and experts say points to the growing crisis of retail theft in the city.

Data obtained by CBC through freedom of information laws show that over the past five years, Real Canadian Superstore, owned by Loblaw, has spent over $12 million on special duty police officers. 

Insane  how bad things are getting in Winnipeg these days.  What sucks is eventually those costs are pushed onto the honest people like ourselves who pay for products.  

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/police-superstore-special-theft-1.7349223

Insane  how bad things are getting in Winnipeg these days.  What sucks is eventually those costs are pushed onto the honest people like ourselves who pay for products.  

I worked at one for years. Ppl were stealing tons of **** all the time. Hell some of the workers were even, but yeah that’s nothing new especially the superstores that had the liquor commissions inside them. 

On 2024-09-27 at 2:51 PM, WinnipegGordo said:

I remember when the Exchange District had a bustling bar scene. Those were the days.

Now more restaurants it seems. Most very very good also.