The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Manitoba has the 2nd highest rate in Canada for shop lifting,  and as I pointed out before the overall crime has skyrocketed.      

Did you know in much larger provinces such as Quebec that shop lifting has decreased?      This isn't happening in "many" places and in Manitoba it is almost at the top for being the worst.       

Source?

National Post in August had Nova Scotia 1st and BC second, with Manitoba in 3rd.  Their data show that yes it is a problem here but it is also absolutely happening in many places.  We are one of 4 provinces to have an increase of 70% or more over the last 2 years.

Incidents per 100,000 people:

Nova Scotia: 676.97 - 2022 had an increase of 115% while 2023 was up 17% (232% increase from 2021)

BC: 568 (2022 was up 18% & 2023 was up 12%) (30% increase from 2021)

MB: 542 (2022 rate was up 37% & 2023 was up 37%) (74% increase from 2021)

AB: 483.57 (No data provided for 2022 but 2023 was down 5%)

SK: 446.61 (2022 was up 42%, 2023 was up 28%) (70% increase from 2021)

NFL: 421 (2022 was up 55%, 2023 was up 0.74%) (56% increase from 2021)

ON: 395 (2022 was up 41%, 2023 was up 30%) (71% increase from 2021)

NB: 226 (2022 was up 16%, 2023 was up 3%) (19% increase from 2021)

PEI: 191 (2022 was down 0.85%, 2023 was up 36%) (35% increase from 2021)

QC: 155.19 (2022 was up 27%, 2023 was up 21.5%) (48.5% increase from 2021)

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/shoplifting-canada

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Manitoba has the 2nd highest rate in Canada for shop lifting,  and as I pointed out before the overall crime has skyrocketed.      

Did you know in much larger provinces such as Quebec that shop lifting has decreased?      This isn't happening in "many" places and in Manitoba it is almost at the top for being the worst.       

I don't think that's possible.  I mean, of course there will be exceptions.  But the skyrocketing cost of food and other consumer goods, make increased theft inevitable.  When poverty rates are already high, you get the perfect storm.  In Manitoba and in other places as well.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I don't think that's possible.  I mean, of course there will be exceptions.  But the skyrocketing cost of food and other consumer goods, make increased theft inevitable.  When poverty rates are already high, you get the perfect storm.  In Manitoba and in other places as well.

Finally someone gets it. The reason we're seeing the increase is because people are desperate and can't afford to eat. Greedy supermarket chains are doing this to themselves. 

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Finally someone gets it. The reason we're seeing the increase is because people are desperate and can't afford to eat. Greedy supermarket chains are doing this to themselves. 

Canola spiked at $23 per bushel last year - it's down to $13 per bushel. 

Cooking oil went up x 4 last year - that's where it's mostly still sitting.

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

But a certain percentage - and im going with 33% - need drug money and they spent their food money on drugs.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Profit margins man. Supply and demand man. That's how Capitalism works man. Stakeholder needs man. Keeping large amounts of people employed costs money man. Technology/food security advances cost money man. That's how Entrepreneurship works man. Supply Chain problems man. We constantly give back to our communities man. It's not us man, it's [insert name] that is the problem. It's the best system we have man, what would you suggest, communism?. It's very complex to understand for the average commoner like you man as I and a select few make gobs and gobs off the backs of people like you who struggle cuz maybe you need to pull up your bootstraps cuz I [trust fund kid] am a self made successful person.

I've tired myself out here and know I don't have it all right here. I'm sure I'm missing many more reasons used in how some deflect away responsibility and accountability to the ever widening gap between the 1 percenters/upper classes and the masses.