The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

I really do feel bad for the workers at these places as they are constantly in the threat of danger as they can do absolutely nothing to stop it.     The penalty for shoplifting or robbing one of these places is jack squat,  you pay far more for a red light camera ticket compared to what these criminals "pay".     

Eventually it will be like in certain areas of the USA where their will be no convenience or other stores to buy anything in the more poor areas.   It's unfortunate. 

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Eventually it will be like in certain areas of the USA where their will be no convenience or other stores to buy anything in the more poor areas.   It's unfortunate. 

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet - pretty deep, dark areas in places like Chicago.

42 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I really do feel bad for the workers at these places as they are constantly in the threat of danger as they can do absolutely nothing to stop it.     The penalty for shoplifting or robbing one of these places is jack squat,  you pay far more for a red light camera ticket compared to what these criminals "pay".     

What then ,I'm gonna get accosted in Costco,or Walmart.? Frikkin mess,our so called justice system. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet - pretty deep, dark areas in places like Chicago.

I was in Vancouver last week and with the abhorrent state of East Hastings there are still lots of mom & pop convenience stores open. How do they do it? That is the answer I would like to know, maybe some local stores could adopt a similar philosophy?

1 minute ago, GCJenks said:

I was in Vancouver last week and with the abhorrent state of East Hastings there are still lots of mom & pop convenience stores open. How do they do it? That is the answer I would like to know, maybe some local stores could adopt a similar philosophy?

Well, the Liquor Mart approach could make a difference - but then they'd have to pay a decent wage...

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

Well, the Liquor Mart approach could make a difference - but then they'd have to pay a decent wage...

I would think it might but what % of the population has photo ID? Near 100% of the under served population is without photo ID and lucky to have an address to use to get get a health card. 

I was shocked by the stores that had the front door wide open at 11pm or later. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-ukrainians-attacked-on-street-1.7294030

These stories keep popping up on a much more frequent basis then ever before,  wasn't it a week ago where a kid was attacked with a machete.    It saddens me that as a kid in th e 90's I was able to walk around the North End ,  Elmwood,  Kildonan Place mall during the day with little to no fear of anything bad happening.   Nowdays I wouldn't even remotely consider allowing my children to take a bus or hang around any of those areas without myself around.   

17 hours ago, Brandon said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-ukrainians-attacked-on-street-1.7294030

These stories keep popping up on a much more frequent basis then ever before,  wasn't it a week ago where a kid was attacked with a machete.    It saddens me that as a kid in th e 90's I was able to walk around the North End ,  Elmwood,  Kildonan Place mall during the day with little to no fear of anything bad happening.   Nowdays I wouldn't even remotely consider allowing my children to take a bus or hang around any of those areas without myself around.   

Surprised the Cons not bring up crime more in the last election. Seems like it's already #1 issue for the next one.

31 minutes ago, JCon said:

Usual nonsense from the usual people. 

You do realize that in the last many years that all police/court systems fudge the numbers on behalf of themselves or their superiors to help the optics.   In the old days shop lifting, burglary, drunk in public, and many more common issues were all registered and would go through the court systems (people being charged).  Nowdays nearly all  smaller crimes are ignored and many larger crimes are also ignored.     The court system actively tries to drop as many charges as they can in order to prevent a criminal from going to jail and to give them lesser charges (i.e. save money to keep them out of jail and give them a $50 dollar fine and probation).     The court system is massively backed up and they just want to process the cases as fast as possible.  Police don't even waste time to investigate shop lifters or even home theft or anything anymore these days.   

Nobody needs a chart to see how sharply Winnipeg has declined in the last 20 years and how violent crimes and how shoplifting itself has ramped up insanely during that period.  Do you not remember the Liquor Mart crisis from a few years back? Why does Wal Mart and Superstore hire police officers,  why did Wal-Mart completely re design some of their store fronts for the self checkout aisles to be more contained and secure?  

Why would 7-11 make up stories of leaving because of shrink?  Convenience stores rarely if ever go out of business,  those are staples in neighbourhoods.    

What area of the city do you live in that you do not see the decay? 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Brandon said:

But JCon said all of this is nonsense and Winnipeg is no worse then many years ago :D   

Well the police themselves have said this isn't anything unusual so this could very well be something that's been happening for years and just hasn't been made the news.

“The incidents occurred at different times of the day and involved different suspects,” a WPS media relations person said in an email. No one was injured, no arrests have been made and the investigations are continuing, she said.

The same store robbed multiple times in a day isn’t a rare occurrence, she said.

“Anecdotally, receiving multiple, daily theft-related reports from retail stores in various parts of the city is not unusual. It is also common for criminals to reattend the same location to carry out these thefts.”

They closed down the one by my parents house well not by it but the one we used to frequent most on watt street in EK. Rumours are it’s becoming a circle K. I’m shocked they closed this one but the Talbot one which I’m petrified of is still open 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6146563/7-eleven-in-winnipegs-core-to-close-citing-surge-in-brazen-thefts/

A five year old article about the 7-11 on Wiliam closing due to a sharp increase of thefts committed by 9 and 10 year olds. Nobody has moved in to the building since, I drive past every day. Just boards over windows of a gutted building. I've accepted that an arsonist will likely burn it down before another business moves in.

Makes me sad 😔 imagine not having a sev nearby as a kid. Partially dethawed freezies in a cup will be a poor substitute

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

They closed down the one by my parents house well not by it but the one we used to frequent most on watt street in EK. Rumours are it’s becoming a circle K. I’m shocked they closed this one but the Talbot one which I’m petrified of is still open 

Isn't the rumour that the one on Watt is getting turned into apartments?

I used to go to the one on Talbot all the time but that was the late 90s so ten years ago.