Random Jets News

From the Daily Faceoff story from Hunter Crowther

A week after the Pittsburgh Penguins acquired 2022 first-round pick Rutger McGroarty from the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for 2023 first-round pick Braden Yager, the newest Penguins prospect spoke with reporters in Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

When a reporter asked McGroarty directly why he didn’t want to go Winnipeg, the 20-year-old gave a direct answer, albeit one that might have been short on details.

“My agents talked to them, then I talked to them, and I wanted to be upfront and honest with them, and tell them I wasn’t going to be signing for them,” McGroarty said. “I got nothing but respect for those guys. They handled it with a lot of class. And I wish them nothing but the best.”

Shortly after the trade, McGroarty signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Penguins, ending his NCAA career with the University of Michigan, where he spent the last two seasons. He scored 34 goals and 57 assists for 92 points in 75 games.

He announced in April he would return to Michigan for the 2024-25 season, and reports out of Winnipeg indicated he and the Jets did not agree on his developmental path. However, now signed with Pittsburgh, he says he can’t wait to begin his professional career.
“I feel like everything’s right here – the development path, the veteran guys that they have, the organization that they have and the town as well,” McGroarty said. “I went to a (Pittsburgh) Pirates game on Monday, like, the sports town atmosphere is unbelievable.

“I feel like I come to the rink every single day, work extremely hard and do everything with intent, and then hopefully drag other guys across the line with you and help them get better,” he added.

As a transplanted Manitoban that I am knowing sport is a far second to the real life stuff so I'm not taking this at all seriously but for fun putting my hardcore Jet and Bomber fan face on for a second, this was not a direct answer and this young man might need a bit of humble pie fed to him. Cockiness is sometimes confused with confidence imho. 

Fill your boots if you think this is great leadership but I think he thinks he knows way more than he actually knows. I know I know shocking a 20 year old young man thinking they have all the answers. I have one of those 20 year old sons of my own at home.

I'm liking Yager more and more.

Go Jets. Penguins suck.

When more then one team turned away from the guy for his "attitude" that's a huge red flag and I'm glad the Jets moved on from him.    

Best case scenario for him is an Evander Kane kind of situation where he can put up some numbers and can survive with a team for a few seasons before wearing out his welcome to move onto a different team in desperation.    

59 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Reminds me of Christian Ponder - signed with the Vikes and then thought he was the franchise, only to flame out spectacularly.  Sometimes these kids live in a bubble I guess...

TBF Every QB in MIN since Fran has a YouTube video like that.

McGroarty from the bustling metropolis of Lincoln Nebraska to the Cold and murderous Michigan didn’t think Winnipeg felt right. Alright dude. Whatever. Yager is a good player and will get people excited in the young stars tourney and camp. I’m shocked penguins moved him. When I heard I thought Pickering and a 1st. Yager to me was untouchable. Mad upside there. 

Jets need to sign Jaromir Jagr to a PTO now so in preseason you could have Yager and Jagr play together 

interesting rumour regarding Perfetti. Dude skating with Josh and mark all summer and wants to sign a longer term deal instead of a bridge. Wonder if they do that. 6 or 5 years type, what’s the AAV I wonder. He’s an easy 50 60 point guy as a top 6 guy. Maybe more. Perfetti Scheifele Vilardi. Connor Lambert Ehlers. Nino Names Chib. Barron Lowry Apples. Gus. Forgot about Iafallo. But I’d move his cap out and kupari. Maybe keep Him as 14th forward and just keep 1 extra D like Stan or Heinola maybe Salomonsson even. 

Edited by Goalie

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/jets-announce-young-stars-classic-roster

interesting roster for sure. 

salo chib Yager lambert Barlow he and Lucius and crew. 

I watched the Rutger interview and seemed like a good kid who has been pulled many the directions recently by outside individuals.  He looked kinda stressed and not his happy happy normal or what appeared to be normal self. I hope he’s ready to play cuz if he’s not things will be interesting. Jets play the Burgh early in Winnipeg so fun. 

Edited by Goalie