Around The NHL 2023-24

45 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Compare us to Edmonton who got mcdavid rnh and several others with 1st overall picks.

This is the part that does not compute for me.  Yes, the Oilers were able to draft some super stars, but they still had to sign and retain them.

They are also a small market and that's not much different from signing and retaining free agents

21 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

This is the part that does not compute for me.  Yes, the Oilers were able to draft some super stars, but they still had to sign and retain them.

They are also a small market and that's not much different from signing and retaining free agents

No wants to sign with a team that has no ambition and seems happiest to be middling. Mediocre management and mediocre owners are why we can't (and never) do anything. 

Edited by JCon

Posted (edited)

Monahan pretty much got the same contract Bryan Little did at his age. Outside of Little being faster, kinda the same player. 

Littles contract was fine, slight overpay but just a year or 2 too long.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

No wants to sing with a team that has no ambition and seems happiest to be middling. Mediocre management and mediocre owners are why we can't (and never) do anything. 

Ticket sales will then remain middling as well. 

50 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Which superstar have we drafted and not retained through their rfa years besides trouba? And copp? 

i guess Scheifele hellebuyck morrissey Lowry don’t count here? Connor? Ehlers even.  Ehlers and Draisaitl currently in the same boat. 1 year remaining until UfA. 

Oilers have retained mcdavid draisaitl an overpaid nurse and rnh. The rest were from trades pretty much. Pretty similar to the jets really except Winnipeg doesn’t have a generational talent on its roster. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Which superstar have we drafted and not retained through their rfa years besides trouba? And copp? 

i guess Scheifele hellebuyck morrissey Lowry don’t count here? Connor? Ehlers even.  Ehlers and Draisaitl currently in the same boat. 1 year remaining until UfA. 

Oilers have retained mcdavid draisaitl an overpaid nurse and rnh. The rest were from trades pretty much. Pretty similar to the jets really except Winnipeg doesn’t have a generational talent on its roster. 

Ok. Then we agree...that it's possible for the Jets to be more competitive. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Paul Maurice throws Nate Schmidt a 1yr minimum wage bone.

Tough life gets paid out and now has to take the minimum in sunny Florida....ahh to be so unlucky.

'Toronto signed defenseman Chris Tanev to a six-year contract worth $27 million after acquiring his rights from Dallas'. (AP)

CT is 34 who doesn't come across to me as a freak of nature type athlete like Jagr or Chelios were in terms of producing after the usual best before date of a professional NHL'r.

I want CT's agent in my camp please and thank you.