Around The NHL 2023-24

Sorry to see Dillon and Monahan leave, but at those prices and term, good for them. Be interesting to see if we can acquire a speedy experienced center for the 2nd line through trade etc.

Edited by IC Khari

6 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

Sorry to see Dillon and Monahan leave, but at those prices and term, good for them. Be interesting to see if we can acquire a speedy experienced center for the 2nd line through trade etc.

At this point the only 3 UFA left are Roslovic, Wheeler & Bryan Little :D

1 minute ago, bb1 said:

What an epic fail Monahan was, oh well can you spell rebuild? Perhaps Chevy can still do something but it ain't looking good......

Where was he a failure? I hoped we'd sign him for a reasonable amount. Good solid ,center ,that wind faceoffs. Chevy **** the bed on that one. Among others.........

Just now, Piggy 1 said:

Where was he a failure? I hoped we'd sign him for a reasonable amount. Good solid ,center ,that wind faceoffs. Chevy **** the bed on that one. Among others.........

Did nothing in the playoffs ,he was good in the regular season, but we lost a first rounder for a guy to play 30 games? Easy to criticize now i know but really what was our hope to ever re- sign him? Massive overpay on term by Columbus but no surprise that they overpaid it's win now... With the Jets i really have no clue where Chevy is going,hopefully he does.

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Monahan wanted to go to Columbus. Him for 5 years would have crippled the team. He’s slow. 

Yup slow and not physical at all, don't blame Chevy for letting him go just don't know why he laid out so much for him...does Chevy really think we have a contending team here? Scary.

18 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yup slow and not physical at all, don't blame Chevy for letting him go just don't know why he laid out so much for him...does Chevy really think we have a contending team here? Scary.

The way it looks now the Jets are vying with the Bombers for a basement finish in their respective leagues....Rebuilds for both and a looooong wait to even look relevant....Sad

Jets sign Kappo Kahkonnen (??) as another potential back up G. Apparently they're making a push for Henrique as well (all according to various Twitter talking heads )

16 minutes ago, Stickem said:

The way it looks now the Jets are vying with the Bombers for a basement finish in their respective leagues....Rebuilds for both and a looooong wait to even look relevant....Sad

We're only one solid second line center and right shot defence man from being a contender ... 

d2edbd6a6cf061bf3a885a12432a1e6de657db8c

44 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Jets sign Kappo Kahkonnen (??) as another potential back up G. Apparently they're making a push for Henrique as well (all according to various Twitter talking heads )

Didn't we sign Comrie? Maybe we are trading Helly...😆

Comrie got 825k. Kahkonen got 1 million. He’s the backup. Comrie is the 3rd goalie. 

I think Chevy will make a significant trade b4 the season starts.  I think Henrique might just be twitter rumors. I’m ok with this if it means guys like lambert chibrikov heinola salomonnson get legit chances to make the team. Who knows. Maybe Rutger changes his mind also. It’s good to get young when the teams around you getting older. Colorado and Dallas didn’t do much. 

Edited by Goalie

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Comrie got 825k. Kahkonen got 1 million. He’s the backup. Comrie is the 3rd goalie. 

I think Chevy will make a significant trade b4 the season starts.  I think Henrique might just be twitter rumors. I’m ok with this if it means guys like lambert chibrikov heinola salomonnson get legit chances to make the team. Who knows. Maybe Rutger changes his mind also. It’s good to get young when the teams around you getting older. Colorado and Dallas didn’t do much. 

It doesn't look like we have much of a choice, to be honest i thought we should of started going younger last off season but Chevy seems to think this group is much better than what the average fan thinks it is...

Apparently offered more elsewhere but decided to stay in the 780.... Interesting. Going to be some rookies starting for the Jets come fall time...

Time to put up or shut up with the draft and development of this team. Start playing the young guys. If they don’t win a round or even make the playoffs for the next two seasons, the GM and scouting staff should be fired and replaced …

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

Apparently offered more elsewhere but decided to stay in the 780.... Interesting. Going to be some rookies starting for the Jets come fall time...

For the most part I like our GM but for the hardcore Chevy apologists, is it reasonable to suggest that if the Jets regress this coming season his end of year review is a little bit more serious?

2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

For the most part I like our GM but for the hardcore Chevy apologists, is it reasonable to suggest that if the Jets regress this coming season his end of year review is a little bit more serious?

It’s July 2. I never expect the jets to be active in free agency. They never are because free agency is a day where players can pick where they want to play. We aren’t Florida or Washington state with no taxes. We aren’t Nashville which is the home to country music. We aren’t a free agent destination and never will be. You can’t force guys to sign here and you certainly can’t overpay guys to come here.  I don’t know why ppl think a new gm will all of a sudden make Winnipeg some free agent attraction. 

Edited by Goalie

20 minutes ago, Goalie said:

It’s July 2. I never expect the jets to be active in free agency. They never are because free agency is a day where players can pick where they want to play. We aren’t Florida or Washington state with no taxes. We aren’t Nashville which is the come to country music. We aren’t a free agent destination and never will be. You can’t force guys to sign here and you certainly can’t overpay guys to come here. 

I'm not suggesting that nor am I suggesting the approach should be loading up on FA's, I'm just suggesting that if the Jets regress (or status quo) this coming season (regular and/or post season) is it reasonable to suggest that the Winnipeg's GM is looked at a bit more intensively at his end of year review? I differ from you that I think it's a reasonable expectation to win the cup small market or not.

I'm just a curious guy in trying to better understand in a results based business what's the threshold that has to be attained where Chevy's job is at risk? Yes they've graded out high in some regular season play but yes they've also graded out low in post season play. I'm not suggesting he be fired but regardless of being a GM in Winnipeg compared to more favorable destinations he has accountability for regular and post season play that doesn't just sit on everyone else and if it's not attained to desirable levels (which I'm trying to better understand what these levels are) then what happens? 

Edited by HardCoreBlue

I think it’s reasonable to expect a small market to win a cup. I just think it’s hard to get the players here unless we are really really bad for a few years and get several top 5 picks. This team has had one top 5 pick and that was 2nd overall laine. We won the lottery and moved up from 9th or 7th to 2nd. He’s done a good job honestly. Compare us to Edmonton who got mcdavid rnh and several others with 1st overall picks. But then u look at buffalo who haven’t made the playoffs since the jets returned pretty much. In order to win the cup u need to make the playoffs first. Unfortunately when we do, we don’t seem to have that extra gear and they play a way that is the opposite of what got them there. It’s mental strength and I think our team lacks it. 

I’ll put it this way. If it was us vs Florida in the finals, we prob no show game 4. 

Edited by Goalie