Call it what you want … you need to move on from Collaros

Mike

6 hours ago, Stickem said:

Yes ....hindsight is always 20/20 BUT I could see the potential early....You have to admit he had one helluva arm and those passes eventually had accuracy.....which unfortunately we didn't benefit from as he moved on...His rise to something special came in Ham.....He finally figured the game out there and his teaming up with Flutie for over 5,000 yds was quite impressive....Reminds me a little bit of Schoen and Zack when they get rolling...In any event Danny ended up having a solid CFL career and his being a part of the Bombers today is greatly appreciated

Agreed. He could make really quick reads and zip it in with velocity. And his pairing with Flutie was the catalyst for his best years. I lamented his loss from the club, just not sure the team would have hung on for another 5 years until he was ready, especially since they went all in on Dunigan. Very happy to have him back now, though. And fully appreciated his time in Blue and Gold, as you said. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

On 2024-01-03 at 6:36 PM, Noeller said:

Damon Allen is a guy who played a long time and rarely got hurt. 

What a ridiculous statement, Noeller. Next, you'll say that a player shouldn't be eligible for the Hall because he didn't play long enough because of injuries. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 6 months later...
On 2023-11-19 at 9:27 PM, White Out said:

Football is a terrible mistress. We were winning on 2nd and 18. Then had a 3rd and 5 to win our 3rd cup in 4 year. 

You could also say if not for Hamilton missing by an inch we would have just lost our 3rd straight championship.

Time to move on. Dru has to be the solution; Zach's getting old .

I feel like the decision to let Brown go and Keep Zach  is going to set the franchise back many, many years

I'm not sure Brown is it either though. 

115/184 for 1556 yards (a 8.5 YPA) and 5 TDs vs 4 INTS through 5.5 games

vs. 

113/173 for 1406 yards (a 8.1 YPA)  and 2 TDS vs 7 INTS through 5.5 games

The INTS are looking gross for Collaros compared to Brown... there must have been something special going on in the regular season last year to make them both look so good and then the slipper fell off when the regular season ended. 

Edited by ShyGuy

1 minute ago, ShyGuy said:

vs. 

The INTS are looking gross for Collaros compared to Brown... there must have been something special going on in the regular season last year to make them both look so good and then the slipper fell off when the regular season ended. 

Takes time to learn a new O really. Brown has been better than collaros. Our O was responsible for like 3 points tonight. Not even. 

Yep. The signs were apparent last year but the fall this year has been so much steeper than I expected. We grossly misplayed our hand here. 

Plus the difference isn't just Brown vs Collaros. It's Brown + whatever asset we could have gotten for trading Zach + $300-400K to spend on other players vs Zach and whatever draft pick we got for Brown. Really poor management. 

32 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Collaros started to slide last year a ton and Brown was better than he was. If not for Oliveira taking over late in the season people wouldn't be surprised by COllaros this year cause it started last year. 

6 minutes ago, K-Shack said:

Yep. The signs were apparent last year but the fall this year has been so much steeper than I expected. We grossly misplayed our hand here. 

Plus the difference isn't just Brown vs Collaros. It's Brown + whatever asset we could have gotten for trading Zach + $300-400K to spend on other players vs Zach and whatever draft pick we got for Brown. Really poor management. 

As I said last November, the teams that have stayed contenders for more than a few years at a time make those decisions.

They basically could have kept Brown and the entire offense intact.  Or drop Hardrick and go after 1-2 guys in their prime on D in free agency

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

This is all "hindsight is 20/20" nonsense... But ya, they shoulda kept Brown. 

Sigh. 

Sticking with 35 year old qbs over the long guys you’ve groomed seldom works out. Except for when it does lol. 

in general it’s a refusal roster wide to move on from old guys with nothing left. 

1 hour ago, ShyGuy said:

vs. 

Imo, he’d be doing a lot better here. Especially if we also moved on from guys like kola. 

They need to make the hard look at who is not gonna be in the plans ...or shouldn't be in the plans for 2025 and onward now and start that purge...clinging onto some guys...or not even allowing any new guys any opportunity to just see any reps and if they may be part of the future...or not...is just pointless and bad managing.

Time to look at age...and performance or lack there of on our roster now and make those prudent moves...that's why they getting paid the big bucks as well and much like ZC and some others here...if they not earning that money...get out the scissors and snip snip

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Sigh. 

Is it? I thought hindsight being 20/20 is you don't predict something, it happens, then you say we should have done x.

This is a bunch of people including me saying X is going to happen, X happened, then people being frustrated that management didn't see X happening.

Edited by White Out

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Sigh. 

Go read the first few pages of this thread and see how your statement lines up with what was being said.. 

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

Of lesser impact to the team overall but BigHill and BA have both dropped off a cliff as well in terms of usefulness.

Well I remember 2 years ago discussions started about bighills declining production, and last year everyone knew he was barely hanging on so this is sadly not out of  nowhere.

BA I think the injuries just finished him.

48 minutes ago, bustamente said:

The hardest part of coaching is letting go players that you went to war with and won games and championships and that has happened to Osh, it's been the downfall for many a coach. 

Yep and one of the things Wally Buono understood well. Plenty of times he sent a popular veteran packing because he didn't want to get stuck holding the bag with a declining player

Looks like we'll be groveling around the bottom the rest of the season....I agree with Booch....let's see what we truly have for 25' (Cup year here) and separate the wheat from the chaff now....I'd like to see every player get a fair shot and IF they can't meet expectations ...bye bye.....There's only a couple of hindrances to that and that would be the people doing the assessing of players better drop biases of tenure and actually look at the player for the talent he has and give them proper playing time to make that assessment......period

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Yep and one of the things Wally Buono understood well. Plenty of times he sent a popular veteran packing because he didn't want to get stuck holding the bag with a declining player

That’s right, and a lot of those players Wally let go ended up declining here.

32 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Looks like we'll be groveling around the bottom the rest of the season....I agree with Booch....let's see what we truly have for 25' (Cup year here) and separate the wheat from the chaff now....I'd like to see every player get a fair shot and IF they can't meet expectations ...bye bye.....There's only a couple of hindrances to that and that would be the people doing the assessing of players better drop biases of tenure and actually look at the player for the talent he has and give them proper playing time to make that assessment......period

Agreed. In addition, it might be time to give Terry Wilson a game. I know Strev is up next but he is 30. With his style and the way they use him, we’re not getting more than 1-2 more years imo. 

They need to see if they haven’t completely buggered up the QB position for the future, and the only way to do that is give Wilson some playing time.

He couldn’t do much worse than Collaros has. 

1 or 6 game Zach with a thorax setback and see what you have for the future. 

2-5

That is the record......strictly on merit. 

With the injuries.....we have a combination of guys not ready for prime time.....and others (vets) either under performing or.......just well past their time.   

Also a coaching staff that appears unable to maximize the current roster, make in-game adjustments,  or simply lack the stones to face making the required retool of this roster.

Bombers currently resemble the Yamato's last voyage.  Gaping holes at QB, MLB, S, C, OG DHB, KR...

For anyone wondering about some sort of succesion plan, last couple years.......turns out there was absolutly no plan.    Chickens coming home to roost now.   Performance now resembles a lot of the bad ole days......

Edited by do or die