Call it what you want … you need to move on from Collaros

Mike

Does anyone know the logistics of releasing a player with a guaranteed contract? Or do we know the specifics of Collaros' contract? Is part of it guaranteed? All 600+k of it?What if we released him in the off-season (I doubt they would)? Does the whole contract count against the cap?

Just now, blueingreenland said:

Does anyone know the logistics of releasing a player with a guaranteed contract? Or do we know the specifics of Collaros' contract? Is part of it guaranteed? All 600+k of it?What if we released him in the off-season (I doubt they would)? Does the whole contract count against the cap?

IF we were to cut him now we would be on the hook for what he earned this yr so far (bonus ad salary) and would be on books for 250k for 2025...even tho not here...only way out is we deal him....he retires after season.....or he renogotiates and we get rid of that....and cant see him doing that...so we hooped

Just now, Booch said:

IF we were to cut him now we would be on the hook for what he earned this yr so far (bonus ad salary) and would be on books for 250k for 2025...even tho not here...only way out is we deal him....he retires after season.....or he renogotiates and we get rid of that....and cant see him doing that...so we hooped

Ugly. We’re stuck. I wonder if Calgary would be desperate enough to do a Collaros/Maier swap and we can start fresh. 

13 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Ugly. We’re stuck. I wonder if Calgary would be desperate enough to do a Collaros/Maier swap and we can start fresh. 

Wonder if Sask might be desperate or maybe even Toronto. Dukes for Zach 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

BLM looks like he’s having a career year honestly. Quite the story there. 

he's healthy...he's mobile...they have a decent line....and you see the results...

Just now, JCon said:

No one is trading for ZC and that contract. And, if they do, it's for a roll of hockey tape, slightly used. 

our only way out is if we talk him into retirement.....or he gets hurt...loooong term style like Miller last year....I have no idea why...or who pushed for that 3 yr deal with all that guarantee on a QB who will be turning 37 in that final yr...a guy with injury history in his past.

Was it ZC aking for that or he would walk?...Or was it Osh pushing for it to Walters?...who knows...but was a bad move any way you slice it...for any player in their mid 30's really as you can see the drop off can come out of nowhere...and come really fast

GC 2025 in WPG was announced before Zach's extension... seems to me the whole brain trust was willing to gamble on Zach being 'the man' all the way thru 2025, willfully ignoring the likelihood of him falling apart by then. It was an expensive gamble hoping for the best, and it's not working out for us

Mobility becoming a concern with Zack....He used to be able to get outside and deliver but I don't see the same Zack in that situation now....He's slower and his penchant for trying to make the 'big play' and throwing into tight coverage is another problem......I can't see him being around these parts in 25'....if he is and further deterioration of his game persists we could be in for a long Cup year....Should never have signed him for that 3rd year

54 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

That was the seed planted yesterday. She from Aurora. 

what about ZC for Fanny Arbuckle?

54 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Mobility becoming a concern with Zack....He used to be able to get outside and deliver but I don't see the same Zack in that situation now....He's slower and his penchant for trying to make the 'big play' and throwing into tight coverage is another problem......I can't see him being around these parts in 25'....if he is and further deterioration of his game persists we could be in for a long Cup year....Should never have signed him for that 3rd year

yup, I remember when I saw the news...all I could think was "Blake Wheeler all over again"....

2 hours ago, Booch said:

IF we were to cut him in the off-season (not going to happen if O'Shea has any say) and it costs us 250K...I'd say that would be worth taking a chance on IF we could pick up a cheaper, younger guy like the Montreal back-up (Alexander??), but not worth it if only old QB's are our only choice (like BLM, MBT etc).

I’ll probably catch **** for saying this, but..I wouldn’t be upset if they traded Olivera for a huge windfall. Love Brady, he’s probably my favourite Bomber right now for a number of reasons but they just don’t use him enough for having so much cap space tied up in the RB position. 

I don’t think they can manage with Zach, Brady and Kenny all on the roster next year, it just leaves too much deficiency everywhere else. 

3 hours ago, JCon said:

No one is trading for ZC and that contract. And, if they do, it's for a roll of hockey tape, slightly used. 

Sounds like an attractive deal to me.

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Big no to McCheese from me. He’d look worse than Collaros behind our oline. 

But a helluva lot cheaper.

Zach could be traded. Either it’d be to a team desperate for a qb, or a qb swap with moderate assets included. 
 Mbt is the prime candidate. Edm may well be willing to move on from mbt whose deal would offer us cap savings. 

Assuming now that jones is gone they won’t be making silly trades, they’d probably want a real asset. Maybe a mid pick, or they might want some one like eli/dobson/wallace. 
 The dream scenario would be to dump some one like Thomas/biggie/kola too but I doubt they’d go for that now. 

4 hours ago, Booch said:

our only way out is if we talk him into retirement.....or he gets hurt...loooong term style like Miller last year....I have no idea why...or who pushed for that 3 yr deal with all that guarantee on a QB who will be turning 37 in that final yr...a guy with injury history in his past.

Was it ZC aking for that or he would walk?...Or was it Osh pushing for it to Walters?...who knows...but was a bad move any way you slice it...for any player in their mid 30's really as you can see the drop off can come out of nowhere...and come really fast

After watching him get taken out of the game by the spotter, it got me thinking.  How would it work if he was unable to play next season due to injury? 

Under normal circumstances, we couldn't release him this season if he was injured and have to wait until the off season.  Could we still do that or because of the guarantee, would we just park him on the 6 game all next year.  He still gets paid but it wouldn't go against the cap.