2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

10 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

IIRC they split up for a while but got back together a couple years ago so they could be popular again - I'm also not up to date on current music, it's just not something I would ever pay to see or tune in for.  

There's a reason why Doman went out and got LL Cool J & now 50 Cent for home opener concerts - people will pay to see that kind of show.  The Lions are expecting their biggest crowd in over a decade to kick-off the season.

What doman has done in bc with the fan support has been nothing short of a miracle. He gets fan involvement, how to market, and how to mix attractions with football. They should let him plan the GC half time shows for as long as he will do it. 

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Green day would have been good here seeing as tho they were always at ozzys playing before they were famous. Maybe Zach can get Taylor to do half time here. ;) 

More likely Jason kelce covering her songs lol 

18 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The only way to disagree is to have absolutely no context of today's entertainment landscape.

This. I don't want RDJ, or dwayne the rock johnson doing our half time show either. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Jonas Brothers are a big deal

the halftime show isn’t for the people who are already watching the game. It’s for the people who now may.

You are right, but I just don't see where the cross over is between football fans and Jonas Brothers fans is. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You are right, but I just don't see where the cross over is between football fans and Jonas Brothers fans is. 

I asked the same question in 2011 when I skipped watching Nickelback and in 2014 when I skipped Imagine Dragons, both times to go drink beer with the Blue Bastard...

Edited by kelownabomberfan

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Not catering to us old white men? 

Younger people like the Jonas Brothers. We need young people to watch the CFL. Profit?

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

Not catering to us old white men? 

Younger people like the Jonas Brothers. We need young people to watch the CFL. Profit?

But which young people? And are the young people who would be fans of the Jonas Brothers the type that would be fans of football anyway? 

I just don't see it but then I am old and out of touch. 

I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what I'm with isn't it, and what is it seems weird and scary to me.

Remember when Justin Beiber played the halftime show and was booed mercilessly in stadium? That performance was the high point of the TV ratings that day, with 6.1 million eyeballs (the game itself drew 5.5 million). When Keith Urban played Calgary in 2019, the female audience at home (including all the wives at my Grey Cup party) suddenly started watching more in earnest (and they hung around for the cringe interview). As JCon noted, the show is meant to draw new eyeballs and boost ratings, which in turn means more advertising dollars. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Remember when Justin Beiber played the halftime show and was booed mercilessly in stadium? That performance was the high point of the TV ratings that day, with 6.1 million eyeballs (the game itself drew 5.5 million). When Keith Urban played Calgary in 2019, the female audience at home (including all the wives at my Grey Cup party) suddenly started watching more in earnest (and they hung around for the cringe interview). As JCon noted, the show is meant to draw new eyeballs and boost ratings, which in turn means more advertising dollars. 

And how many of those eyeballs translated into new fans?

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And how many of those eyeballs translated into new fans?

I guess look at BC’s crowds with their concert game attendance for a possible answer. How many new fans would the Headstones draw, as a comparable? Or the Tragically Hip?  This is about selling one game experience and bringing in  advertising dollars, not creating a new football fan based on a concert performance. 

Just now, bearpants said:

people laughed at your original comment because there is about a 0% chance the CFL could get Swifty... and I might be overshooting those odds...

Maybe collaros can pull some strings with his connections.

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

It is wild that anyone could disagree with this. She is basically the biggest star in the entire world.

But apparently, she will be otherwise engaged giving birth to and raising the anti-Christ.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Jonas Brothers are a big deal

the halftime show isn’t for the people who are already watching the game. It’s for the people who now may.

Back in the day, my daughter and her friends were fervent Jonas Brothers fanatics. Now they're all in their early thirties, mostly without kids, and they love flaunting their disposable incomes by jet setting to Taylor Swift concerts around the globe. They also hit up a few Bomber games each year, mostly for the social scene from what I can tell. These are the folks the Grey Cup halftime shows are aiming for. Us old farts will watch every game no matter who’s playing the tunes.