2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

16 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Back in the day, my daughter and her friends were fervent Jonas Brothers fanatics. Now they're all in their early thirties, mostly without kids, and they love flaunting their disposable incomes by jet setting to Taylor Swift concerts around the globe. They also hit up a few Bomber games each year, mostly for the social scene from what I can tell. These are the folks the Grey Cup halftime shows are aiming for. Us old farts will watch every game no matter who’s playing the tunes.

It makes for an easy piss break + restock on snacks without missing anything important :) 

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Which is shortsighted. Sure they get some cash for advertising for the game... but you're better off trying to win new fans.

You're not going to get new fans with a 30min halftime show. That's just never going to work. Should they try to solve the attendance issues with CGY and TO during GC halftime too? Lol.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

You're not going to get new fans with a 30min halftime show. That's just never going to work. Should they try to solve the attendance issues with CGY and TO during GC halftime too? Lol.

Yeah, try targeting an act that football fans might tune in to see and maybe some of those NFL only fans will enjoy the game and stick around.

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah, try targeting an act that football fans might tune in to see and maybe some of those NFL only fans will enjoy the game and stick around.

I think most NFL only fans have made up their minds and a half time act isn't going to change it, whether it's the greatest CFL game or not. 

CFL needs younger fans, and you get that by engaging them where they are. In their communities/schools/teams etc etc. Bombers have been great at it since Miller came in. CGY has been **** at it forever. And you see the results of both. 

3 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Riders signed Marcus Sayles, recently released by BC. 

I could be wrong, but he’s kinda washed up isn’t he? 

Was terrible last season, but I don't know if there were extenuating circumstances such as injury or something. Infinitely better than what you had though.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, JohnnyAbonny said:

Not what he was in 2019 but for Sask with a very poor secondary,  that’s a good signing

I would have took him over Edwards Cooper there....and they had since cut him anyway and ate his bonus...makes them better than what they had at HB...I think....not sure who that even is...but not a peice to put them over the top

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

what I would like to see is to bring in high quality local bands and forget about trying to get celebrities… further, I would get them on the field bandstand for an hour before the game, PLUS, the halftime show. That might attract a lot of the under 40 crowd and even a bunch of teenagers.

Community-based teams are strengthened by the community, if we let them.

Edited by BigBlue

34 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Wasn’t good last year but I know secondary was an area of concern so should hopefully be serviceable. 

42 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

This is the problem that we find when players leave for an extra 10 or $15,000. If they're not fantastic that year of their switch, their overall value goes down so much with missed games and teams trying to re-sign them on the cheap after they have been cut. They also lose the team chemistry that might've made them above average players. Player agents are so often self-serving and urge their clients to make these kinds of switches. Just stop and think about what fate has been for veteran players that have  left the bombers for other teams.

Edited by BigBlue

2 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

This is the problem that we find when players leave for an extra 10 or $15,000. If they're not fantastic that year of their switch, their overall volume goes down so much with missed games and teams trying to re-sign them on the cheap after they have been cut. They also lose the team chemistry that might've made them above average players. Player agents are so often self-serving and urge their clients to make these kinds of switches. Just stop and think about what fate has been for veteran players that a left the bombers for other teams.

Sayles signed in the NFL after playing for us and was a league All-Star for BC in 2022.  I'm not sure him leaving the Bombers is a great example of a player going down hill on a new team, even if he's not the player he once was.

Some guys (like Stove) have been unfortunate but others (Casey Sayles for example) have done just fine.

I struggle to think of what the perfect GC halftime show would be that ticks all of the boxes. Seriously, I'd hate to be in charge of the selection because I just don't think you could make everyone happy (absent a huge injection of sponsor money that signs a big act, or acts as was the case at the 100th). 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

And these football fans you speak of all listen to the same type of music? And that happens to be the music you listen to?

23 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

what I would like to see is to bring in high quality local bands and forget about trying to get celebrities… further, I would get them on the field bandstand for an hour before the game, PLUS, the halftime show. That might attract a lot of the under 40 crowd and even a bunch of teenagers.

I was at Times Changed a couple of months ago, to hear 2 local groups. The joint was packed (including the dance floor).

Don't know how this would translate to the larger venue, but definitely worth a crack. 

23 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

This is the problem that we find when players leave for an extra 10 or $15,000. If they're not fantastic that year of their switch, their overall value goes down so much with missed games and teams trying to re-sign them on the cheap after they have been cut. They also lose the team chemistry that might've made them above average players. Player agents are so often self-serving and urge their clients to make these kinds of switches. Just stop and think about what fate has been for veteran players that have  left the bombers for other teams.

DB's are so plentiful they have a hard time cashing in on past performances, signing a contract for $120k+ it's almost assured they will eventually be replaced by a cheaper model.  DB motto has to be "grab it while you can".  

35 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I don't disagree....but for the GC game it really is an advertisement to the world of what they have. Not only to gain eyes but also ad revenue. Local bands aren't going to intrigue nonlocals.... nevermind international viewers. CFL wants $$ and in order to charge it they need someone who will put eyes on the screen.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

I struggle to think of what the perfect GC halftime show would be that ticks all of the boxes. Seriously, I'd hate to be in charge of the selection because I just don't think you could make everyone happy (absent a huge injection of sponsor money that signs a big act, or acts as was the case at the 100th). 

I think The tragically hip was as perfect as it will ever be. For today, I think the weekend would be as good as it gets. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I would have took him over Edwards Cooper there....and they had since cut him anyway and ate his bonus...makes them better than what they had at HB...I think....not sure who that even is...but not a peice to put them over the top

Would you take sayles over Mcfadden, wall, or carnell? I'd take the first 2 for sure, carnell Idk if he is 100% or will be again. If he's close I take him too. I loved sayles when he was here, but he has an awful lot of miles on him for his age. It's probably an upgrade for them, but If I'm them us or any one else I go with the younger guys.