2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

100%. Brown was way worse and turned out much better. I really want to see both Grainger and Wilson develop for a while here. 

Titus wall id take over a bunch of guys in camp here 

Titus Wall definitely would be worth a look...strange cut there

5 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

He hasn’t played in four years, I’d imagine it would be a tough go for him to get back into game shape. 

Could be that. Generally you’d think if he kept his weight on and hadn’t gotten fat he’d be reasonably close but needing cardio. Maybe he got chunky though. 
 These days those types of moderately to reasonably successful players don’t work out up here. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

There’s genuinely some surprises around the league … I’d be interested in Bennett for sure and McFadden from Toronto

Tevin Jones is kind of Bailey-lite.  If that’s what they really want.  Doesn’t seem like anyone really grabbed the 5th receiver job.

But anyone coming in now would basically be for Game 2 given the stupid condensed schedule from preseason to Game 1.

LB Tony Jones, fan favourite Global kicker Dean Faithfull among Elks’ final cuts

The Edmonton Elks have released 29 players ahead of the CFL’s roster cutdown deadline, including former starters Tony Jones, Dean Faithfull, Marloshawn Franklin Jr., and Deontez Alexander.

https://3downnation.com/2024/06/01/lb-tony-jones-fan-favourite-global-kicker-dean-faithfull-among-elks-final-cuts/

Edited by WinnipegGordo

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

I’d consider bringing in the stamps kicker punter they let go for a pr spot. McFadden is interesting also. As Is Bennett who I guess would replace Thomas or Schmekel. 

Is O'Shea a huge fan of our punter?  He seemed terrible last year and this pre season he was a whole lot of mediocre?

7 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

Lenius had the physical tools, but couldn’t stay out of the tub. Might be time for him to move on.

Truly, I never thought he was too great. Just fine.

Speaking of Fine, goodbye Mason!

Apparently Lenius is currently injured and may be out for quite sometime, nonetheless it sounds like the Riders are replacing him with rookie Ajou who will be making about half the $152k Lenius was scheduled to receive.

Edited by Fatty Liver

Mild shock about Tavarus McFadden and Maurice Carnell IV.

Both were projected starters in our defensive backfield. A backfield that lost Stiggers, Peters and Pickett... so it's a big reset.

The new defensive coordinatorS must be very confident in the new talent they brought in to drop two players who clearly play at starting CFL level.

52 minutes ago, bluto said:

Mild shock about Tavarus McFadden and Maurice Carnell IV.

Both were projected starters in our defensive backfield. A backfield that lost Stiggers, Peters and Pickett... so it's a big reset.

The new defensive coordinatorS must be very confident in the new talent they brought in to drop two players who clearly play at starting CFL level.

yea....seems odd, but I guess they like the others more....and nice to see a team go with new blood and not lean on the "vet" reasoning to roster who may be inferior.....

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Not my cup of tea but they'll bring eyes to the game.

Yup. Totally. I need to avoid falling into the old man trap of thinking it’s a bad get because it wasn’t what I was expecting.

Big name. Tons of hits. Should put on a great show for the TV and live audience.

15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yup. Totally. I need to avoid falling into the old man trap of thinking it’s a bad get because it wasn’t what I was expecting.

Big name. Tons of hits. Should put on a great show for the TV and live audience.

They were HUGE in the I think 20teens? but do they still put out music? Seems like kind of a has been boy band. Is there going to be overlap between jonas brothers fans and football fans or people who would like football? Idk seems like a miss in terms of branding and timing. 

I'm also not a fan, but I feel like the weekend or drake would be a much better fit, and canadian. My personal pick probably wouldn't move the needle much (the headtones.) or bring eyes or any thing. I'm certainly out of touch with popular music today, but any thing R&B, hip hop etc would be long over due. I think the last time we had that was the black eyed peas like 20 years ago. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

They were HUGE in the I think 20teens? but do they still put out music? Seems like kind of a has been boy band. Is there going to be overlap between jonas brothers fans and football fans or people who would like football? Idk seems like a miss in terms of branding and timing. 

I'm also not a fan, but I feel like the weekend or drake would be a much better fit, and canadian. My personal pick probably wouldn't move the needle much (the headtones.) or bring eyes or any thing. I'm certainly out of touch with popular music today, but any thing R&B, hip hop etc would be long over due. I think the last time we had that was the black eyed peas like 20 years ago. 

IIRC they split up for a while but got back together a couple years ago so they could be popular again - I'm also not up to date on current music, it's just not something I would ever pay to see or tune in for.  

There's a reason why Doman went out and got LL Cool J & now 50 Cent for home opener concerts - people will pay to see that kind of show.  The Lions are expecting their biggest crowd in over a decade to kick-off the season.