2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think The tragically hip was as perfect as it will ever be. For today, I think the weekend would be as good as it gets. 

Would you take sayles over Mcfadden, wall, or carnell? I'd take the first 2 for sure, carnell Idk if he is 100% or will be again. If he's close I take him too. I loved sayles when he was here, but he has an awful lot of miles on him for his age. It's probably an upgrade for them, but If I'm them us or any one else I go with the younger guys. 

I'd take Titus Walll before any of them actually...see what he has to offer in our system...still so young too

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'd take Titus Walll before any of them actually...see what he has to offer in our system...still so young too

25 years old, I’d take a chance on him, he’s a good player. Imagine him actually not being on a dog **** defense. I think there’s a lot of opportunity for growth in his game still. 

3 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

25 years old, I’d take a chance on him, he’s a good player. Imagine him actually not being on a dog **** defense. I think there’s a lot of opportunity for growth in his game still. 

big time....like his body type here as well....

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

This is the problem that we find when players leave for an extra 10 or $15,000. If they're not fantastic that year of their switch, their overall value goes down so much with missed games and teams trying to re-sign them on the cheap after they have been cut. They also lose the team chemistry that might've made them above average players. Player agents are so often self-serving and urge their clients to make these kinds of switches. Just stop and think about what fate has been for veteran players that have  left the bombers for other teams.

I think where the Bombers have been making up the distance in FA a bit is in playoff participation. I get that no one thinks you will be joining a team that is going to miss the playoffs but the difference between say a Bombers roster spot where they have had a very good run of success and the Redblacks where its not so much is $3400 for getting to the playoffs, another $3400 for getting to the semis, and then either $8000/$16000 for the runner up/winner of the Grey Cup.

I think I had read that Bailey had a better offer on the table from the Riders last offseason, but they were sat at home in November and whoever was slotted into that WR4/5 spot for the Bombers was going to take home an extra $15K for their troubles (and were a few plays here and there away from an extra $8K)

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

24 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

big time....like his body type here as well....

I agree with all that. He'd be the first guy I'd scoop up. I wish we'd grab him. Maybe he doesn't want to sit on a PR though. Some one should snap him up. 

11 minutes ago, ShyGuy said:

I think where the Bombers have been making up the distance in FA a bit is in playoff participation. I get that no one thinks you will be joining a team that is going to miss the playoffs but the difference between say a Bombers roster spot where they have had a very good run of success and the Redblacks where its not so much is $3400 for getting to the playoffs, another $3400 for getting to the semis, and then either $8000/$16000 for the runner up/winner of the Grey Cup.

I think I had read that Bailey had a better offer on the table from the Riders last offseason, but they were sat at home in November and whoever was slotted into that WR4/5 spot for the Bombers was going to take home an extra $15K for their troubles (and were a few plays here and there away from an extra $8K)

Certainly a decent lure for our own vet guys. I think a lot of free agent vet types over estimate their individual impact and think any team they go to will become a play off team and make a long drive. Except for henoc. I legit think he was happy enough to be done the year early. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I think The tragically hip was as perfect as it will ever be. For today, I think the weekend would be as good as it gets. 

The Weeknd would have to really want to do it. The man is worth several hundred Million. But he's a big enough name that even if he isn't your particular cup of tea, you'd have to acknowledge what a coup it would be to get him.

But he's a fellow Scarberian, maybe he'd come home and do it here. Who knows?

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

The Weeknd would have to really want to do it. The man is worth several hundred Million. But he's a big enough name that even if he isn't your particular cup of tea, you'd have to acknowledge what a coup it would be to get him.

But he's a fellow Scarberian, maybe he'd come home and do it here. Who knows?

Youre right, and drake would be similar. 

17 minutes ago, Atomic said:

It should be Shania Twain every year

Don't be stoopid, you know we don't love her up here... LOL 

Would celine dion still be a big deal? Iirc she has a massive residency in vegas. 

I think a final performance by Sum 41 would really over lap the market and demographic well. 

Not canadian, But Ice cube did really well up here. He'd be a big get imo. Especially if you could get any off shoots of nwa/aftermath/shadey records to come with him. 

35 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Youre right, and drake would be similar. 

Don't be stoopid, you know we don't love her up here... LOL 

Would celine dion still be a big deal? Iirc she has a massive residency in vegas. 

I think a final performance by Sum 41 would really over lap the market and demographic well. 

Not canadian, But Ice cube did really well up here. He'd be a big get imo. Especially if you could get any off shoots of nwa/aftermath/shadey records to come with him. 

Celine is all messed up with some disease last I heard

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

I know random things hahaha....def not a fan

Sounds like some thing a closet fan would say… lmao 

10 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

When the GC is here they should get the folks from Winnipeg Pro Wrestling to do a match or 2 at halftime. 

7 minutes ago, bluto said:

Edge vs Christian at centre field at BMO for 2026!

id be very open to none music based events. I love the super dogs and even the cross fit games they did once was pretty cool. 

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/cfl/chad-kelly-toronto-argonauts-settle-lawsuit-with-former-strength-and-conditioning-coach-1.2130042

Per Dave Naylor

The lawsuit brought by a former Toronto Argonaut assistant strength and conditioning coach against the team and starting quarterback Chad Kelly has been settled to the satisfaction of all parties through mediation, a source tells TSN.

No details of the settlement are known. A call to the legal representation of the former coach was not returned.

The former coach was suing the 30-year-old Kelly for $50,000 for alleged violations of the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Argos and Kelly jointly for $85,714, claiming wrongful dismissal. She was also seeking $10,000 worth of punitive damages.

The suit, which named the Argonauts for wrongful dismissal and Kelly for harassment, led to the Canadian Football League commissioning an outside investigation, which produced an 87-page report.

That report became the basis for CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie handing down a minimum nine-game suspension to Kelly in early May, requiring him to undergo assessments and counselling for reinstatement. The league has reserved the right to extend the suspension if it is not satisfied with Kelly’s commitment.

According to the source, Kelly has begun the process of participating in the mandatory counselling sessions required and is not with the team at this time.

Under the terms of the league’s collective agreement with its players, Kelly could appeal his suspension and be allowed to return to full participation with his team while waiting for an arbitration hearing, but only if he the Argos allow him to do so. Toronto opens its season at home this Sunday, with last season’s backup quarterback, Cameron Dukes, slated to start against the visiting BC Lions.

The coach, who worked for the Argos from 2018 until January 2024, originally filed the lawsuit on Feb. 21 in Ontario Superior Court in Toronto. TSN does not publish the names of alleged victims of abuse and harassment without their permission.

The former coach alleged in the lawsuit that Kelly, the league's highest-paid player and reigning Most Outstanding Player, harassed her and that the team fired her after she rejected his advances. She also alleged that the team breached the CFL violence against women policy by not submitting a critical incident report to the league's head office.

The allegations against Kelly and the Argos were not tested in court.

In a statement of defence filed in response to the lawsuit in April, Kelly denied ever making any romantic or sexual overtures at the former coach at any time and said he was not involved, directly or indirectly, in the team’s decision to fire the former coach.

In the Argonauts’ statement of defence, the club insisted that the former coach, who was not retained after the 2023 season, was on a fixed-term agreement and that it was under no obligation to continue her employment.

The team also said it had “no knowledge of any behaviour of Kelly that engaged the CFL’s policy on gender-based violence or was in breach of the Ontario Human Rights Code.”

42 minutes ago, bluto said:

My question is, for the relatively menial amount she sued for why didn’t they pay it right away and avoid much of this? And now that it’s setttled will we see punishment for the front office?

I’m happy for her receiving what ever she got. I hope she manages to find more sports work in the future if she chooses. 

47 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Said the guy who re-watches Titanic for the scene that plays My Heart Will Go On.

Edit: Please don't hurt me. 🙂

ok u guys got me! haha

47 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Said the guy who re-watches Titanic for the scene that plays My Heart Will Go On.

Edit: Please don't hurt me. 🙂

I will admit that I have seen Mariah Carey more than a few times as I knew one of her drummers when I was living in San Fran area...so got free tickets all the time hahaha.....don't judge me 

Edited by Booch

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

ok u guys got me! haha

I will admit that I have seen Mariah Carey more than a few times as I knew one of her drummers when I was living in San Fran area...so got free tickets all the time hahaha.....don't judge me 

Not to be captain mysogonist, but no qualms from me about SEEING Mariah.. especially back in the day. Whew. 

Just now, Noeller said:

Not to be captain mysogonist, but no qualms from me about SEEING Mariah.. especially back in the day. Whew. 

Easily one of the most talented vocalists of that era. Especially in the pop range. That Christmas tune though gaaaaaag