The 2024 Grim Reaper Thread

On 2024-06-20 at 6:41 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I wonder how Tom McGouran is taking the news? They were money together on Power 97 & then 92 Citi FM in the 80's & 90's. Their Morning Show was hugely popular on both radio stations. They then took their show to Vancouver at Rock 101 CFMI but couldn't duplicate the success they had here. Both came back to Winnipeg. Updike landed at CJOB & McGouran back at 92 Citi FM with a new sidekick Joe Aiello. Later, they did a podcast together statrting in 2014 but I don't know how popular it was or for how long Tom & Larry did it. 

Loved Tom and Larry on Power 97. They still are my favorite duo of all time. I still remember when a prank Tom pulled on Larry went sideways and fans called the cops as they suddenly went off air. I remember thinking - "is Larry ok???" as the last thing I heard before they went off was Larry screaming....

9 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Loved Tom and Larry on Power 97. They still are my favorite duo of all time. I still remember when a prank Tom pulled on Larry went sideways and fans called the cops as they suddenly went off air. I remember thinking - "is Larry ok???" as the last thing I heard before they went off was Larry screaming....

I think that was the beginning of the end for those guys....

I was lucky enough to cross paths with Ray St Germain 14 years ago when the Manitoba Museum was doing a gala to commemorate the opening of the Manitoba Music Experience exhibit (mom and I were working the doors counting people coming in and leaving)

28 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Faaaaaaaaaack. He was getting up there but damn I love the Oaks. Bonsall was a talent and a half. They had so many hits and their Christmas album is a staple in my house. 

On 2024-06-22 at 4:57 PM, JohnnyAbonny said:

Larry Updike, that’s sad. A lot of those 90s CJOB guys were voices that were built into the background of my childhood. 

Yup they played off each other so well. It felt like you were in the room listening to them banter back and forth having real conversations with genuine insights using humour to drive points home.

A lost art for some in the business now, it feels more fake, needing to get likes and punching down when it serves their purpose.

I know I know okay boomer though I am a X'er. 🙂

Edited by HardCoreBlue

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup they played off each other so well. It felt like you were in the room listening to them banter back and forth having real conversations with genuine insights using humour to drive points home.

A lost art for some in the business now, it feels more fake, needing to get likes and punching down when it serves their purpose.

I know I know okay boomer though I am a X'er. 🙂

I’m a millennial I guess. (They called it Gen Y until I was in my 20s) Feel the exact same way

Ya you guys aren't wrong... Things have definitely changed. Part of it is the advent of digital and how important that is to radio now. The actual traditional broadcast is more to supplement the digital engagement in a lot of cases. Not all stations are like that, but major markets like Winnipeg tend to be. 

I actually really enjoy CJOBs The Start. Mackling just seems like a genuinely good dude. 

I'm not really into what Burpee does on air but everything he does is with a genuine love for the province and the city. I have mad respect for that. 

There's still some good stuff out there, but in some cases it's definitely changed a lot..