2024 NHL Playoffs Thread

I love sports, I love the NHL and the entertainment that it provides and as a result athletes are rightfully compensated for it but one of the many things that frustrates me is how we are told the NHL is a business that doesn't necessarily equate with how other businesses are run. For example, Connor Brown struggled mightily throughout the regular season but now has over the last small percentages of games in the playoffs produced. I can almost guarantee one that his next term contract will be based on this small body of work not on the larger body of work which then drives up the prices of other similar players contracts which then drives up players of better abilities contracts etc etc.

I find that frustrating because if you question this approach when you compare to how other businesses are run you are met sometimes with that condescending you don't know how this works do you, it's what the market is dictating explanation.

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I find that frustrating because if you question this approach when you compare to how other businesses are run you are met sometimes with that condescending you don't know how this works do you, it's what the market is dictating explanation.

Farming is the same. Either a bumper crop or a poor crop can change prices significantly

They never come back to the level they were before that one exceptional year

4 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I love sports, I love the NHL and the entertainment that it provides and as a result athletes are rightfully compensated for it but one of the many things that frustrates me is how we are told the NHL is a business that doesn't necessarily equate with how other businesses are run. For example, Connor Brown struggled mightily throughout the regular season but now has over the last small percentages of games in the playoffs produced. I can almost guarantee one that his next term contract will be based on this small body of work not on the larger body of work which then drives up the prices of other similar players contracts which then drives up players of better abilities contracts etc etc.

This is also why the NHL put in the cap.  Teams need to theoretically be careful and get value out of contracts as they have a limit to what they can spend.   There are outs and ways for teams to get around bad contracts, but would be way worse if it weren’t in place.  

On 2024-06-19 at 5:52 AM, iHeart said:

Guess Florida didn't want to win at home that badly unless they're saving it up for game 7

well it's going to go to game 7 now this is the longest my hockey display at work has stayed up

37 minutes ago, JCon said:

I loved the part where McDavid had the puck and an open net but lost it and couldn't tie the game. Crosby would have buried that. 

So happy for PoMo.  He deserves this. 

When he no longer wants to coach please please put him in the broadcast booth. Love listening to him. Shouts out to the Jets. Wow. What really went on here where he felt he had to leave? 
Panthers went back to what works. Sticks and bodies in the shooting lanes and the occasional mugging of 97 and 29. Great recipe for success. Somethings never change when everything is on the line, last five minutes of the game, no rules free for all, fun to watch if your team wins, not so much if they don’t.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I loved the part where McDavid had the puck and an open net but lost it and couldn't tie the game. Crosby would have buried that. 

So happy for PoMo.  He deserves this. 

I loved where the Oilers lost and the Sportsnet panel looked like they had just read this poem …

main-qimg-28f3d0f72bf2279efc98c353e526cd

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

When he no longer wants to coach please please put him in the broadcast booth. Love listening to him. Shouts out to the Jets. Wow. What really went on here where he felt he had to leave? 
Panthers went back to what works. Sticks and bodies in the shooting lanes and the occasional mugging of 97 and 29. Great recipe for success. Somethings never change when everything is on the line, last five minutes of the game, no rules free for all, fun to watch if your team wins, not so much if they don’t.

Chevy is still here. The wrong guy left. 

Maurice is very good at one thing. Kissing ass. 

i think it’s crazy ppl buy his obvious bullshit. Yeah I mean he only had a legit superstar 1 centre in Barkov and an elite player in tkachuk and Reinhardt. 

Maurice didn’t win the cup. His players did. Ppl really think playing Jordie Benn over heinola was the right thing then you get ppl bitching when prospects want out. Honestly. Biggest ass kisser in the league. 

29 minutes ago, Goalie said:

In the playoffs he is. Ffs Florida won the presidents trophy last year without Maurice then tkachuk forced his way there also. It’s not like he went From the jets to some rebuilding team. 

I've always wanted to write this. Someone pee in your cornflakes? Cuz if they did I feel you brother. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Maurice is very good at one thing. Kissing ass. 

i think it’s crazy ppl buy his obvious bullshit. Yeah I mean he only had a legit superstar 1 centre in Barkov and an elite player in tkachuk and Reinhardt. 

Maurice didn’t win the cup. His players did. Ppl really think playing Jordie Benn over heinola was the right thing then you get ppl bitching when prospects want out. Honestly. Biggest ass kisser in the league. 

I mean...why would a team who's that good bother hiring him? 

We have all the necessary pieces...so let's hire an incompetent ass kisser.

5 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I mean...why would a team who's that good bother hiring him? 

We have all the necessary pieces...so let's hire an incompetent ass kisser.

He’s not incompetent. He’s just a politician keeping his future options open. Good for him tho. I’m happy for Maurice. He was just part of the problem. Like O’Shea with the bombers currently, there’s more to the jets and bombers issues than just coaching. It’s obviously a mental one and other issues also. Congrats to Paul. I hope he brings the cup here lol.