2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

1 minute ago, Booch said:

not denying he wasn't...the stats for most prt had him atop most the categories...tho last yr too was a case of being the tallest short kid...or the smartest dumn kid too.....so there is that...I want him and nobody else as our starter and we in fine shape there...the only other guy I would have wanted other than ZC is a guy we signed as his backup...so we good!

People say fairly often here that brown was a product of the system. Does any one say that of Zach? If Zach was in bc would he be in the mop race? Would Brady be less of a candidate if he was in Toronto last year? 

Edited by wbbfan

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

People say fairly often here that brown was a product of the system. Does any one say that of Zach? If Zach was in bc would he be in the mop race? Would Brady be less of a candidate if he was in Toronto last year? 

good question,,,the system sure didnt do him any favours in Sask....mind you the talent around him was sub par too

Another question is what would the VAJ have looked like bhind our line...with a actual run game...and our receivers??

Just now, blue85gold said:

It was but to be fair in the playoffs he was playing with a bunch of receivers that couldn't move.

2022 he couldn't move...plant...or throw on run and after firat quarter should have been parked....in 2023 he had 2 reciever who had zero explosion or ability to make any move (Schoen and Bailey) and another in Demski who was maybe 80 percent and serviceable....serviceable if youhad 4 other guys who were impactful.

I hope this yr we can see him in playoffs as healthy as healthy can be now we have Strev here as I think the team will be more apt to put him in to close out games...or jump start us if we are stagnant than they were with Brown....and keep him from taking as many shots, and being more fresh

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Collaros being the top qb is a damning indictment of the quality of quarterback play in the cfl. 

Guy was inconsistent last year. I think having streveler to take some meaningful reps in a game will help change things up if collaros gets into a funk.

I agree with that. We badly need an injection of qb talent in this league. Some team, needs to take a risk. No ones gonna though. 

4 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

It was but to be fair in the playoffs he was playing with a bunch of receivers that couldn't move.

That’s true. Play offs every one was banged up. Despite all the light work weeks at the end. 

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

good question,,,the system sure didnt do him any favours in Sask....mind you the talent around him was sub par too

Another question is what would the VAJ have looked like bhind our line...with an actual run game...and our receivers??

Or even in Hamilton before sask. that was ugly. Talent wise that team turned it around though  

Imo, Zach wouldn’t haven’t lasted the year in bc last year. I think he’s a retired. Brady, would’ve been just as good in to as here. Aj here would’ve been a beast too.

Vaj here is real interesting. He’s the only qb more boom or bust than Zach last year. But instantly better pass pro, drastically less expectation with support from the running game and wrs, plus buck being able to game plan for vaj feet. 
 I think vaj would’ve been better here than bc with less terrible games, and would’ve flashed some nutty upside. IF he could fifo. Idk if he could though. 

Strevy being back and able to sub in when the offence is stagnant with out a full qb change and controversy. But it’s also a double edged sword. If we do it when the O has momentum it can kill zachs groove. Which is fickle as all qb groves are. We saw that in the past with plop, buck has a big threat added but has to carefully balance the use of that set. 

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Collaros being the top qb is a damning indictment of the quality of quarterback play in the cfl. 

Guy was inconsistent last year. I think having streveler to take some meaningful reps in a game will help change things up if collaros gets into a funk.

I'm actually hoping Strevs reps is not just a result of ZC struggling but more incorporating some creative 2QB schemes (not just short yardage) while driving the ball down the field.

Put the D on it's heels from it's toes so to speak.

51 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Nobody knows who is starting and who isn’t. Lots of people assume things on here based on what they want but last I checked, everyone on here is just a fan regardless of your background. We don’t know it all as much as some like to think. 

You’re right, I’m just going to close the site down

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

You’re right, I’m just going to close the site down

Just meeting the quota for the day of posts on the forum about self loathing for being a fan on a forum. The off season quota this year has seemingly been pretty high but I think it’s going down with actual football going on. 

48 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

True, but I mean even in the regular season he was feast or famine. It was td every drive or games like edm with multiple picks / pick 6 streak. 

Keep in mind that he was playing thru injury for about 4-5 games last year. 

49 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The guy had a QBR of 112.8 last year.  He had virtually identical stat lines to 2022 and better than his first MOP win in 2021. What part of that screams inconsistent? Did he have a couple down games after he was injured? Yep...but for the most part he was same old Zac.

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

That’s true, debate definitely doesn’t increase engagement

Agreed. Forums would be pretty boring if everyone agreed, and then it would likely attract the contrarians which is more annoying than any debate I've seen around here lately.

I personally am ecstatic to see this preseason game be a real evaluation opportunity for the team offensively and defensively.

People on here complain about the young guys not getting a fair shot to prove themselves and now that the Bombers clearly are giving young guys ample opportunity, there are different complaints from the same people.

It should be exciting to see how the two young QBs do... who steps up at WR... which defenders make plays... heck even who stands out on special teams. We all know Osh is a ST guy and values that and it's likely that some players are kept solely due to their ST ability. 

The NFL has done this for several seasons now. Very few starters playing in preseason, hardly ever starting QB's. There are pros and cons to this approach, but the fact that the starters can't get injured if they don't play 

is probably foremost on the minds of the GM's in the league. I don't think it matters too much for guys like Zach or Brady. It's good to give prospects every opportunity to show everything they have.

It's hilarious how fast the narrative flips from "the old boys are too entrenched, and the new players don't get any reps to prove themselves" to "the old boys don't get enough reps in preseason, and why are we only playing the new players?" Lol!

Don't get me wrong, this roster for the final preseason game is a bit absurd for many reasons, but your knee-jerk 180 cracks me up. You can't have it both ways this isn't Burger King! Lol!

5 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

It's hilarious how fast the narrative flips from "the old boys are too entrenched, and the new players don't get any reps to prove themselves" to "the old boys don't get enough reps in preseason, and why are we only playing the new players?" Lol!

Don't get me wrong, this roster for the final preseason game is a bit absurd for many reasons, but your knee-jerk 180 cracks me up. You can't have it both ways this isn't Burger King! Lol!

The narrative hasn’t changed at all, you (and others) just continually fail to grasp what my frustration has been about.

I want to see these players get an apples to apples evaluation and be in a legitimate competition for a spot that *can* be won. There are several indicators that suggest this is not happening. Reps are not all equal. At this point, all things we are able to see suggest there is a very real and open competition for the last receiver spot in our starting lineup. I do wholeheartedly believe that and I don’t see anything to suggest why I shouldn’t. With that said, we still have what, eight or nine contenders and none of them are going to get a final opportunity to show their stuff with a QB with any level of experience? As I said earlier, it’s kind of a pick your poison spot - either the decision has been made and we’re keeping a lot of these guys around as a waste of time or the decision hasn’t been made and it appears that we’re not putting ourselves in the best possible position to make it.

Then on defence, what are we doing? Is the MLB spot actually open or has it been given to Gauthier? I addressed that one earlier and I stand by what I said there. The other one that irritates me is safety. “can’t make the club from the tub” used to mean something, but it apparently doesn’t to BA. I’m glad these guys are getting some opportunities, I’m just not convinced they’re the best opportunities possible.

A preseason...home game you have zero roster restrictions so point being made is there no excuse for a vet..who is a defacto starter to get even a few snaps...but that being said some vets have seen zero...and are they being gifted spots again and this group of talent brought in is just basically filling a roster in preseason as you have to basically with no shot at all.

Is a Thomas...Gauthier...Alexander...even Biggie just awarded their spot...cause they been here? Have we had an in game comparison against the same players to compare? Swapping reps? Nope...so how can you truly evaluate...u can't.

And the guys in this game vying for the receiver spot...playing with 2 raw rookies..behind a makeshift online...against 3/4's of Calgary's starters...how do you make a legit assessment there? Again you can't...sure you can see some things in practice and in 7 on 7's but it's not the same as a game...and some guys aren't practice phenoms but light it up when lights come on..whereas some are practice Allstars but it just doesn't translate in a game

Only guy who can really flip the script is the running back if he can go off and make plays and churn out the yards behind a raw and newbie laden online

I'm excited tho for the front 7 and if they produce...set the tone and eat up their competition you would think it bodes well for a Fox and say Adam's interior combo...and Moses and Petrishan being rostered...we can go all import front 7 easily and if these guys show well against the CGY starters why would you not go with them...some these guys already have vs sask starters as well 

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

Is a Thomas...Gauthier...Alexander...even Biggie just awarded their spot...cause they been here? Have we had an in game comparison against the same players to compare? Swapping reps? Nope...so how can you truly evaluate...u can't.

To play devil's advocate here... I'd suggest that the coaches already know exactly what those players can do in the league so what's a few snaps in preseason going to tell them that they don't already know? I think decisions about MLB and safety are already pretty settled. Either a  incumbent it taking the job or they know a new face can step up and claim it. No side by aide comparison needed.