2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

24 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I wonder if Darren Grainger is getting a reasonable opportunity to unseat Terry Wilson as the 3rd string QB going into the season. With Collaros and Strev out he should get his fair share of snaps.

I think he's playing for a practice roster job.  I can't see much changing on depth chart out of preseason with a regular season game 2 practices away.

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think barring a catastrophe in pre season game part 2, we will see Cole and an imp lber at mac and Sam. 
 With Thomas I have no hope. I think our week 1 starting D will be

mcghee Nichols hallett holm ford 

kyrie moses cole

Habba thomas fox wj 

Not how I’d go, but I think that happens. I’d say petrishen and garbutt as DIs with that roster. 

It’s also strange we haven’t been playing holm in the pre season. I don’t get it second year guys need reps. 

His third year here isn't it (?) but yeah, would be nice to have seen Holm out there to at least develop some chemistry / continuity with Ford.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

We know that Cole, Moses, Petrishen are not getting the opportunity to play beside Wilson, Kramdi, Gauthier. 

It's hard to say they're being given the opportunity to earn a roster spot when you're not even trying to look at players side by side. 

theyare vying to play in lieu of gauthier...Cole has zero to prove playing besie a fringe incumbant...he already established a heavy rotation last yr in various spots withing various schemes....and as per some people presumptions of how a guy should be given his "spot" in the starting lineup...he put in his 1 yr as a Pr and odd ST service yr...a 2nd yr of rostered most of the yr...and solid and at time spectacular service...so yr 3 he should be handed the job...no? He also did a yr with the Elks too on a PR stint

1 minute ago, Booch said:

and play the Jack too on occasion...as he did last yr

I also think Kramdi is best served as that swiss army utility guy....I never said cut him....but he shouldnt be starting, and....but he can be a serviceable in game back up to injury at SAM...Safety tho....and is good on teams too.

Garbutt is being rested as not 100 percent, and Haba I am sure was pencilled in as the end opposite WJ before camp even started, as thats how we seem to do things, but he has also earned it as well and appears even better than last year as well....A WJ/Haba/Garbutt trio will be really good, and assume is what we see Game 1. 

I sure hope tho someone steps up and makes it impossible to not roll with 2 import DT's who can run multiple techniques for us tho....raoter config wise we are able to do it...

Yep. We sent kramdi some but in the db blitz package not as a jack lber. 
Honestly I’d rather Kramdi learn S in pre season and start over Hallett too. 
 That’s what it looks like to me as well with habba. I think garbutt is better and more well rounded but they might end up in that role swap with time. 
Yeah thatd be great im pulling for Adams hard. 

2 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

His third year here but yeah, would be nice to have seen Holm out there to at least develop some chemistry / continuity with Ford.

Good point I forgot he was here the year prior. 
 Again I would use this chance to get guys like him looks at S and out of position work if they don’t need chemistry work with other guys. But building that chemistry would be vital. 

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think he's playing for a practice roster job.  I can't see much changing on depth chart out of preseason with a regular season game 2 practices away.

Especially with the cut team. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yep. We sent kramdi some but in the db blitz package not as a jack lber. 
Honestly I’d rather Kramdi learn S in pre season and start over Hallett too. 
 That’s what it looks like to me as well with habba. I think garbutt is better and more well rounded but they might end up in that role swap with time. 
Yeah thatd be great im pulling for Adams hard. 

If Haba and Garbutt both get awarded a spot on active roster...by yr end I can see Garbutt the better of the 2....but both will be in the upper tier of Ends....so thats a total win any way you slice it

It’s very clear now why we didn’t cut guys heavily in the last week. We are starting those guys this year. 

I hope that part of starting the replacements team isn’t because a bunch of the vet projected starters are nursing injuries. Happens more with older guys, I really don’t want to see us roll out a bunch of old guys who are rusty and 70% healthy. 

If Haba and Garbutt both get awarded a spot on active roster...by yr end I can see Garbutt the better of the 2....but both will be in the upper tier of Ends....so thats a total win any way you slice it

I love Willy j, but mid to late season it’d be smart to have him rotate with both those guys. He’s soo much better when fresh, and even more effective when hes able to move around and force the other team to adjust playing off edge. Kongbo used to play nearly as many snaps. We could throw him in for a dt, use him as a jack all kinds of stuff. 

40 minutes ago, Booch said:

why?...he clearly isnt the best guy available for that spot...regardless of using "well he was there last yr" as an excuse...as he wasn't the best option then either...the bolded part is how teams start to fail...then fall...and fall hard....

he wasn't even the front runner on our team....

He was the front runner on our team most of the season. Game 15 vs BC was billed as the showdown for MOP west honors between Collaros and Adams for a couple weeks leading up to it.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

A healthy rotation through the line will be a win for us this year.  Not only will it minimize the number of reps a guy like Thomas soaks up but will keep all of them from getting gassed and being ineffective.

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It’s very clear now why we didn’t cut guys heavily in the last week. We are starting those guys this year. 

I hope that part of starting the replacements team isn’t because a bunch of the vet projected starters are nursing injuries. Happens more with older guys, I really don’t want to see us roll out a bunch of old guys who are rusty and 70% healthy

See Grey Cup 2023 :(

At any rate, I don't think assessing our offence is really our priority coming into this game. Those battles are probably wrapped up already. Defence on the other hand.....the coaches may want to get a good hard look at several positions there. Let the 3rd and 4th string QBs try find their CFL game and if it results in the D getting a bunch of extra reps that's not necessarily a bad thing in preseason.

Edited by GCn20

Her's a scenario...Tre Thomas or Petrishen earns the WIL spot...and Wilson with his experience slides to MLB....Moses DI'd and allowed to be eased in...I can see that also....would welcome it too....and we do well and Biggie "needs" another 6 games

Just now, GCn20 said:

He was the front runner on our team most of the season. Game 15 vs BC was billed as the showdown for MOP west honors between Collaros and Adams for a couple weeks leading up to it.

I think it was back and forth but rbs, no matter how elite, don’t beat out top level qbs for mop/mvp. Zach had a couple bananas Games last year that are classic mop stuff the rest was kind of so so. (Which is still top tier qbing in the cfl right now) Brady was full on beast mode the whole season. My vote, hands down goes to Brady. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I hope that part of starting the replacements team isn’t because a bunch of the vet projected starters are nursing injuries. Happens more with older guys, I really don’t want to see us roll out a bunch of old guys who are rusty and 70% healthy. 

This is where more in-depth camp coverage would come in handy.  I'd be more enthusiastic about seeing some of these guys if I knew more about them or thought there was a chance they're part of the clubs future.  As it sits, I don't expect the vast majority of these guys to be here next week,

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

At any rate, I don't think assessing our offence is really our priority coming into this game. Those battles are probably wrapped up already. Defence on the other hand.....the coaches may want to get a good hard look at several positions there.

Haha .. with the offense they are trotting out onto the field, the defence is going to have all the reps they can handle.

Just now, wbbfan said:

I think it was back and forth but rbs, no matter how elite, don’t beat out top level qbs for mop/mvp. Zach had a couple bananas Games last year that are classic mop stuff the rest was kind of so so. (Which is still top tier qbing in the cfl right now) Brady was full on beast mode the whole season. My vote, hands down goes to Brady. 

I agree. Just saying he was in the conversation.

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I had BO as our MOP....We did just fine with Brown and BO...but if BO was to have been out for an extended time...with what we had behind him...we'd have been hooped...and I dont care what TSN trumpets...means cacka

Just now, voodoochylde said:

Haha .. with the offense they are trotting out onto the field, the defence is going to have all the reps they can handle.

Yep...that is the point I was making. I have zero doubts are offence this year is going to be off the hook. All my question marks are on defence.

Just now, bigg jay said:

This is where more in-depth camp coverage would come in handy.  I'd be more enthusiastic about seeing some of these guys if I knew more about them or thought there was a chance they're part of the clubs future.  As it sits, I don't expect the vast majority of these guys to be here next week,

Qft. 

Her's a scenario...Tre Thomas or Petrishen earns the WIL spot...and Wilson with his experience slides to MLB....Moses DI'd and allowed to be eased in...I can see that also....would welcome it too....and we do well and Biggie "needs" another 6 games

that’d be great too. As long as those guys aren’t sent packing. 

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

At any rate, I don't think assessing our offence is really our priority coming into this game. Those battles are probably wrapped up already. Defence on the other hand.....the coaches may want to get a good hard look at several positions there.

100%. Clearly no concern with assessing our O. Really makes me wonder at wr. I bet they are 90% sure already who will start. 

Just now, Booch said:

I had BO as our MOP....We did just fine with Brown and BO...but if BO was to have been out for an extended time...with what we had behind him...we'd have been hooped...and I dont care what TSN trumpets...means cacka

He was the number one rated QB last year over the QB that won MOP. Some on here are suggesting he struggled. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Qft. 

that’d be great too. As long as those guys aren’t sent packing. 

100%. Clearly no concern with assessing our O. Really makes me wonder at wr. I bet they are 90% sure already who will start. 

I think they've got their man at 5th receiver picked out. I am not sure if they have the same on defence.

Yep...that is the point I was making. I have zero doubts are offence this year is going to be off the hook. All my question marks are on defence.

yeah....I have zero worries of the offence....we will put up points, and we will grind teams out...I more curious as to what the defence loks like...and with Yunger running it...we may actually get a influx of new blood as he will def run a more aggressive and attacking unit

Just now, wbbfan said:

You surely have to admit he was feast or famine last year, and sure wasn’t feast mode in the playoffs. 

2019 and 2021 as well. We just came out on the right end of the scoreboard. Playoffs are a different animal for QBs. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

It’s going to be interesting to see how brown does in ott. I was firmly in the position to deal away Zach, bring in strevy and let he and brown battle to lead us into the future. Build for next year, but then also spend a couple hundred thousand on a big vet fa or two. 

He was the number one rated QB last year over the QB that won MOP. Some on here are suggesting he struggled. 

I think they've got their man at 5th receiver picked out. I am not sure if they have the same on defence.

not denying he wasn't...the stats for most prt had him atop most the categories...tho last yr too was a case of being the tallest short kid...or the smartest dumn kid too.....so there is that...I want him and nobody else as our starter and we in fine shape there...the only other guy I would have wanted other than ZC is a guy we signed as his backup...so we good!

Just now, GCn20 said:

2019 and 2021 as well. We just came out on the right end of the scoreboard. Playoffs are a different animal for QBs. 

True, but I mean even in the regular season he was feast or famine. It was td every drive or games like edm with multiple picks / pick 6 streak. 

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yup...I think its Wilson or Mitchell...dark horse Johnson.....