2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

1 hour ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

It's hilarious how fast the narrative flips from "the old boys are too entrenched, and the new players don't get any reps to prove themselves" to "the old boys don't get enough reps in preseason, and why are we only playing the new players?" Lol!

That is a total straw man

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Keep in mind that he was playing thru injury for about 4-5 games last year. 

Certainly true. And the worst pass pro he’s had since he came here. Does that make him more of a product of the system? 

1 hour ago, IC Khari said:

The NFL has done this for several seasons now. Very few starters playing in preseason, hardly ever starting QB's. There are pros and cons to this approach, but the fact that the starters can't get injured if they don't play 

is probably foremost on the minds of the GM's in the league. I don't think it matters too much for guys like Zach or Brady. It's good to give prospects every opportunity to show everything they have.

The advantage nfl camps have is their skirmishes are close to the value of a pre season game.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The narrative hasn’t changed at all, you (and others) just continually fail to grasp what my frustration has been about.

I want to see these players get an apples to apples evaluation and be in a legitimate competition for a spot that *can* be won. There are several indicators that suggest this is not happening. Reps are not all equal. At this point, all things we are able to see suggest there is a very real and open competition for the last receiver spot in our starting lineup. I do wholeheartedly believe that and I don’t see anything to suggest why I shouldn’t. With that said, we still have what, eight or nine contenders and none of them are going to get a final opportunity to show their stuff with a QB with any level of experience? As I said earlier, it’s kind of a pick your poison spot - either the decision has been made and we’re keeping a lot of these guys around as a waste of time or the decision hasn’t been made and it appears that we’re not putting ourselves in the best possible position to make it.

Then on defence, what are we doing? Is the MLB spot actually open or has it been given to Gauthier? I addressed that one earlier and I stand by what I said there. The other one that irritates me is safety. “can’t make the club from the tub” used to mean something, but it apparently doesn’t to BA. I’m glad these guys are getting some opportunities, I’m just not convinced they’re the best opportunities possible.

If you could reason with people like that rf would be boring. he isn’t worth your effort. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

A preseason...home game you have zero roster restrictions so point being made is there no excuse for a vet..who is a defacto starter to get even a few snaps...but that being said some vets have seen zero...and are they being gifted spots again and this group of talent brought in is just basically filling a roster in preseason as you have to basically with no shot at all.

Is a Thomas...Gauthier...Alexander...even Biggie just awarded their spot...cause they been here? Have we had an in game comparison against the same players to compare? Swapping reps? Nope...so how can you truly evaluate...u can't.

And the guys in this game vying for the receiver spot...playing with 2 raw rookies..behind a makeshift online...against 3/4's of Calgary's starters...how do you make a legit assessment there? Again you can't...sure you can see some things in practice and in 7 on 7's but it's not the same as a game...and some guys aren't practice phenoms but light it up when lights come on..whereas some are practice Allstars but it just doesn't translate in a game

Only guy who can really flip the script is the running back if he can go off and make plays and churn out the yards behind a raw and newbie laden online

I'm excited tho for the front 7 and if they produce...set the tone and eat up their competition you would think it bodes well for a Fox and say Adam's interior combo...and Moses and Petrishan being rostered...we can go all import front 7 easily and if these guys show well against the CGY starters why would you not go with them...some these guys already have vs sask starters as well 

We will know the extent of the injury position once the week 1 roster is announced. Till then Lawson is hurt and every one is questionable.

I think with it we will see just how shallow tc/team injury reporting is. I think we are going to see two plus vet starters sitting on the ir for 6+ weeks with a week to week maybe they’ll be ok status. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Certainly true. And the worst pass pro he’s had since he came here. Does that make him more of a product of the system? 

The advantage nfl camps have is their skirmishes are close to the value of a pre season game.

If you could reason with people like that rf would be boring. he isn’t worth your effort. 

We will know the extent of the injury position once the week 1 roster is announced. Till then Lawson is hurt and every one is questionable.

I think with it we will see just how shallow tc/team injury reporting is. I think we are going to see two plus vet starters sitting on the ir for 6+ weeks with a week to week maybe they’ll be ok status. 

I expect to seefor week 1 Lawson..Biggie..Parker on the 6 game...BA likely on a perpetual 1 game for a bit, and likely another vet....Hopefully Thomas if our import rookies make it too hard to sit one not named Fox and Schmeck show's he can compete against the Cgy starters with a high dose of reps as the rotational guy to spell one of them off. Curious to see what Samson shows too...whom I think has a higher ceiling

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

I expect to seefor week 1 Lawson..Biggie..Parker on the 6 game...BA likely on a perpetual 1 game for a bit, and likely another vet....Hopefully Thomas if our import rookies make it too hard to sit one not named Fox and Schmeck show's he can compete against the Cgy starters with a high dose of reps as the rotational guy to spell one of them off. Curious to see what Samson shows too...whom I think has a higher ceiling

Agree with all that. Wondering if other hallett is healthy, if neuf/brady will be ready. I think we will see a couple vets play week 1 who by way of age diminishing and injury are significantly lessened. Like big Jake. 
 I hope Samson gets a good look, as well as some more carries for mci, some passes for clercius and lots of kick returns. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

To play devil's advocate here... I'd suggest that the coaches already know exactly what those players can do in the league so what's a few snaps in preseason going to tell them that they don't already know? I think decisions about MLB and safety are already pretty settled. Either a  incumbent it taking the job or they know a new face can step up and claim it. No side by aide comparison needed.

Part of me agrees with you but part of me says “sure, except these guys are all showing signs of slowing down, all one year older, shouldn’t we see if what we think they’ve got is what they’ve still got?”

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Part of me agrees with you but part of me says “sure, except these guys are all showing signs of slowing down, all one year older, shouldn’t we see if what we think they’ve got is what they’ve still got?”

That's why I said devil's advocate. Honestly I think we should be giving some young blood a chance and hope that we do... but I'm skeptical based on  who the head coach is and how he feels about veterans and not needing practise time.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That's why I said devil's advocate. Honestly I think we should be giving some young blood a chance and hope that we do... but I'm skeptical based on  who the head coach is and how he feels about veterans and not needing practise time.

in some instances....he leans too much on the "veteran" narrative....once skill and effectiveness as well as durability trumps the veteran status...it's time to move on....or at very least transition on the fly

Does anyone get the feeling bighill might be done as an active player? Both Moses and petrishian really stood out last game and both seem to fit. Hopefully the young guys get a legit shot. Those 2 along with the new DT are definitely interesting players who seem to fit the cfl game. Will be pissed if we end up releasing a bunch of these good young players. 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Does anyone get the feeling bighill might be done as an active player? Both Moses and petrishian really stood out last game and both seem to fit. Hopefully the young guys get a legit shot. Those 2 along with the new DT are definitely interesting players who seem to fit the cfl game. Will be pissed if we end up releasing a bunch of these good young players. 

I thought the club should have not brought him back this year and moved on. However unless injury prevents him from suiting up, I don't see MOS not starting him.

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Very much so yeah. 

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I thought the club should have not brought him back this year and moved on. However unless injury prevents him from suiting up, I don't see MOS not starting him.

maybe as a the naturalized American as a role guy and mentor. 

what do you think the decision making process is like in Bomberville in the next few days?

Will it be the position coaches and/or the coordinators who are really steering the ship?

Maybe it's MOS? What  it all comes down to is Kyle Walters?

Of course they collaborate and cooperate. But who was really running the show? That's what I want to know when it comes to personnel.

22 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Well history shows Osh will still dress his vets injury or no injury...slowed down play...ineffective over a full game...and basically said as much in recent presser...he will take the vet over pretty much any new or newer guy unless they really stand out with physical attributes..etc...so safe to say we are handcuffed with old in the tooth declining guys until they are literally unable to walk..unless Walter's takes it out of his hands and doesn't resign them

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Very much so yeah. 

maybe as a the naturalized American as a role guy and mentor. 

And we know that won't happen as again...history has shown he won't take advantage of that to benefit his roster.

Tho this yr he likely will to save an old favorite instead of using it on a usefully guy like Jefferson...Nichols...Wilson and then roster an additional new young hungry stud...

Edited by Booch

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Well history shows Osh will still dress his vets injury or no injury...slowed down play...ineffective over a full game...and basically said as much in recent presser...he will take the vet over pretty much any new or newer guy unless they really stand out with physical attributes..etc...so safe to say we are handcuffed with old in the tooth declining guys until they are literally unable to walk..unless Walter's takes it out of his hands and doesn't resign them

And we know that won't happen as again...history has shown he won't take advantage of that to benefit his roster.

Tho this yr he likely will to save an old favorite instead of using it on a usefully guy like Jefferson...Nichols...Wilson and then roster an additional new young hungry stud...

Probably right with that. 
 Wilson would be sick with Moses and petrishen. 

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Part of me does genuinely believe Bighill may be finished as a player. Nice little chunk of change to use towards the 2025 cap if he happens to not suit up this year.

Yup...agreed...time for him to transition like Miller...and if we need him in a pinch the last quarter of the season I sure we could milk 4 games outta him and playoffs with fresh legs...where he could make an impact playing balls out

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Probably right with that. 
 Wilson would be sick with Moses and petrishen. 

I think petrishen rotating with Wilson and Moses in middle..along side the human missile Cole in varying schemes and formations would be a killer collection...especially with a really active import DT and 2 athletic ends beside WJ rotating in...a second import DT spelled off by a Canadian not named Thomas would give us an elite front 7...and very tough to handle

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

so the reality is its all MOs? is he a bully authorian?