2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Nah Thomas is just your standard vet, bighill and oshea have this weird thing and have for a long while.

true....but the manlove is strong there too....a different love haha....and unless Walter's doesnt re-up him Osh will keep trottng him out there sadly

I think Bighill will be really easy to move on from and honestly will probably be a matter of the defensive coaches being less comfortable using him.

Like last season it was pretty clear he was 4 yards away from the guy he needed to be 2 yards away from on pass plays and he was always tipping his blitzes because he couldn't get to the gap fast enough off the ball.

When that gets even a slight bit worse he will be unplayable.

The guys on the line are a little tougher.  Like Hardrick last season.  You could still see the little spark on runs but his pass pro was awful...but the spark was there and he'd truck guys if he moved his feet.

I worry a lot about Jefferson without Jeffcoat....and our overall pass rush. To me Jefferson has basically lost all burst off the line the past couple years.  He wants to stand up, look around and decide if he can chase someone.  He's long so he can be disruptive in that way but if I'm an OT he's a pretty easy night these days.  Not sure he'll be too active if the guy on the other side isn't in the backfield all night.

11 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think Bighill will be really easy to move on from and honestly will probably be a matter of the defensive coaches being less comfortable using him.

Like last season it was pretty clear he was 4 yards away from the guy he needed to be 2 yards away from on pass plays and he was always tipping his blitzes because he couldn't get to the gap fast enough off the ball.

When that gets even a slight bit worse he will be unplayable.

The guys on the line are a little tougher.  Like Hardrick last season.  You could still see the little spark on runs but his pass pro was awful...but the spark was there and he'd truck guys if he moved his feet.

I worry a lot about Jefferson without Jeffcoat....and our overall pass rush. To me Jefferson has basically lost all burst off the line the past couple years.  He wants to stand up, look around and decide if he can chase someone.  He's long so he can be disruptive in that way but if I'm an OT he's a pretty easy night these days.  Not sure he'll be too active if the guy on the other side isn't in the backfield all night.

It's a reason why I tend to favour a guy like Garbutt over Haba at the other end; he's a more complete, physical player .. in a vein similar to Jeffcoat in that he is responsible / disruptive on both rushing and passing downs.

With that said, we may see more out of WJ if we establish a dominant presence inside.  I have hope for some of the new guys and what they might do to free up our ends.

23 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

It's a reason why I tend to favour a guy like Garbutt over Haba at the other end; he's a more complete, physical player .. in a vein similar to Jeffcoat in that he is responsible / disruptive on both rushing and passing downs.

With that said, we may see more out of WJ if we establish a dominant presence inside.  I have hope for some of the new guys and what they might do to free up our ends.

Jefferson's game hasn't eroded at all...and I see him thriving if we have a solid active interior, and 2 other ends who will require attention...which he hasnt had the luxury of the last 2 yrs...and got worn down in games, and yes had to take some plays off and just look to bat a pass down...DE is a tough spot to play balls out for all your snaps if you don't get sufficient rotation rest...and I have said since last yr garbutt by what I saw was the best of the DE's other than WJ....so we in good hands with the 2 young ends

The ace in hole is I think Younger...and how he will deploy the back end guys, and use them in blitz and scheme...whereas they are actually seeking and destroyng as opposed to just gumming up a blocker....it's gonna free up or dline to make more play....very encouraged from the small snippets I seen and some stuff I picked up on at TC.....I quite sure WJ will be our MODP candidate again and it will be a unanimus pick

Edited by Booch

Just now, Booch said:

Jefferson's game hasn't eroded at all...and I see him thriving if we have a solid active interior, and 2 other ends who will require attention...which he hasnt had the luxury of the last 2 yrs...and got worn down in games, and yes had to take some plays off and just look to bat a pass down...DE is a tough spot to play balls out for all your snaps if you don't get sufficient rotation rest

The ace in hole is I think Younger...and how he will deploy the back end guys, and use them in blitz and scheme...whereas they are actually seeking and destroyng as opposed to just gumming up a blocker....it's gonna free up or dline to make more play....very encouraged from the small snippets I seen and some stuff I picked up on at TC.....I quite sure WJ will be our MODP candidate again and it will be a unanimus pick

I completely agree that WJ's game hasn't fallen off, I simply don't feel we've gotten the most out of him the last couple of seasons because a) we've had a group of duds playing on the interior of the line b) haven't had a regular guy who can stand up on the other end c) he's played way too many snaps.

He's best, and most disruptive, when the opposition has to account for another body on the line and he can stay fresh.

1 minute ago, voodoochylde said:

I completely agree that WJ's game hasn't fallen off, I simply don't feel we've gotten the most out of him the last couple of seasons because a) we've had a group of duds playing on the interior of the line b) haven't had a regular guy who can stand up on the other end c) he's played way too many snaps.

He's best, and most disruptive, when the opposition has to account for another body on the line and he can stay fresh.

100%...and he still was impactful and teams schemed away from him...give him some actual legit help....he will flourish

34 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Agree with all that. 

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

100%...and he still was impactful and teams schemed away from him...give him some actual legit help....he will flourish

yep. I think the drop off and inconsistency we see from wj, is largely not having a strong pass rusher or even consistent guy across from him, having a force inside that demands a double/can push the pocket, and that when he’s the only decent dl on the AR he ends up playing way too many snaps. He’s a guy who really needs his snaps and assignments managed. When he’s on too much he tends to coast backwards to play for knock downs too much especially when tired. 
 With the depth of de and the imp dts we have I’m optimistic that will all improve. 

21 hours ago, 17to85 said:

To play devil's advocate here... I'd suggest that the coaches already know exactly what those players can do in the league so what's a few snaps in preseason going to tell them that they don't already know? I think decisions about MLB and safety are already pretty settled. Either a  incumbent it taking the job or they know a new face can step up and claim it. No side by aide comparison needed.

I agree with that. 

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I agree with that. 

If that was the case I don’t think we’d have all these rookies starting in up for grabs positions. 
 I think they’d be fine with making decisions now if they had to, but I think they still value todays game for evaluation as much as the previous games and tc days. 
 I think the depth chart for week 1 is still largely in pencil, not ink. 

I wonder if kola is having his spot threatened as well. If Dobson is as good at C and Wallace soo good at G, even with Eli out I think kola is being pushed. 

5 hours ago, Booch said:

There was a stat I read about WJ’s stats when Jeffcoat was in vs when Jeffcoat was out… basically if the Bombers have two good DEs, you aren’t blocking both of them, and good luck picking which one.

22 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

There was a stat I read about WJ’s stats when Jeffcoat was in vs when Jeffcoat was out… basically if the Bombers have two good DEs, you aren’t blocking both of them, and good luck picking which one.

Dave Evans cry-agrees with you....

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Dane Evans still wakes up at night in a cold sweat thinking about what that 2019 defense and what they did to him.

He was never the same after that game....and he had had a huge year during the regular season.  I really think Hamilton walked into that game thinking that it was going to be a no-brainer easy win for them...boy were they wrong.

8 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

He was never the same after that game....and he had had a huge year during the regular season.  I really think Hamilton walked into that game thinking that it was going to be a no-brainer easy win for them...boy were they wrong.

Once I heard they were practicing inside during the week....I had a good feeling. I didn't really celebrate until there was less than 1 minute on the clock though.

41 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Dane Evans still wakes up at night in a cold sweat thinking about what that 2019 defense and what they did to him.

38 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I think we broke him....and his will to play

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

We were his first taste of adversity as a pro. Hell of a pill go try and swallow especially in the anointed team lol. Never know what you get in a guy till things get ugly. They got a pretender both in dane in a franchise. 

32 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

That and the practising of the “victory formation” that loss looked good on them. 

Yeah but once I heard they had done that all year it kinda lost the "**** YOU" aspect of it. lol

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

Bombers broke Bo and Dane that year. Neither were ever the same.

7 hours ago, Booch said:

Jefferson's game hasn't eroded at all...and I see him thriving if we have a solid active interior, and 2 other ends who will require attention...which he hasnt had the luxury of the last 2 yrs...and got worn down in games, and yes had to take some plays off and just look to bat a pass down...DE is a tough spot to play balls out for all your snaps if you don't get sufficient rotation rest...and I have said since last yr garbutt by what I saw was the best of the DE's other than WJ....so we in good hands with the 2 young ends

The ace in hole is I think Younger...and how he will deploy the back end guys, and use them in blitz and scheme...whereas they are actually seeking and destroyng as opposed to just gumming up a blocker....it's gonna free up or dline to make more play....very encouraged from the small snippets I seen and some stuff I picked up on at TC.....I quite sure WJ will be our MODP candidate again and it will be a unanimous pick

Agreed. Jefferson's apparent decline, in my view was the lack of complimentary play by not only his linemates, but also the linebackers. We now know that Lawson is done until after Labour Day, and maybe longer. This unwelcome development forced the Bomber coaches to step up and deal with it now instead of kicking it down the road.

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

Gabe-Wallace-61-8568-1-282x300.png

Gabe Wallace - looks more like a guy who should be coding in the back room at Microsoft than being an OL - hope he's a lot meaner than his picture lol...

He’s a neck roll type. We don’t draft soft ol either. From what I saw in the first pre season game he’s above average nasty for our current ol. Plays like a bigger more athletic desjarlais. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Once I heard they were practicing inside during the week....I had a good feeling. I didn't really celebrate until there was less than 1 minute on the clock though.

Practicing inside before the Grey Cup in Calgary?? That's nutty behavior. 

Evans was awful in 2019, and in 2021 he wasn't any better. The best thing that happened to Hamilton that game was him getting injured. 

12 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Practicing inside before the Grey Cup in Calgary?? That's nutty behavior. 

Evans was awful in 2019, and in 2021 he wasn't any better. The best thing that happened to Hamilton that game was him getting injured. 

Masoli prevented another blow out and turned it into one of the greatest gc games ever.