Blue Bombers Cuts Discussion

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Alford was cut?

No but maybe he’ll just leave that stink town 

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Lawson is done for the year?

Without question. They haven’t announced it yet but he’s cooked.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Alford was cut?

Lawson is done for the year?

My bad I thought he was an unsigned returner like Grant and Worthy. Maybe I was thinking of someone else. Or just not thinking, who knows

Edited by BBlink

3 minutes ago, BBlink said:

My bad I thought he was an unsigned returner like Grant and Worthy. Maybe I was thinking of someone else. Or just not thinking, who knows

Me too... I thought Mario Alford didn't get picked up in the off season but could be misremembering....

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

And when I talk about Rosery I'm not saying they'd cut Augustine....just that Rosery appears to be a useful player and we need more of those especially Canadian ones.

Chris-Ike didn't get on the field much for pre-season so really interested to see what happens in real games.

In terms of usefulness on offence Rosery may have come in 3rd to Clercius and MCI.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

In terms of usefulness on offence Rosery may have come in 3rd to Clercius and MCI.

Certainly didn't look that way.

He was taking carries as a primary back behind 3rd string OL and running hard.  He's taken regular reps at 2 receivers spots throughout camp.

MCI did squat and showed up late.  If he's on the roster it's to cover kicks.  Hopefully he knows what he's doing in that regard.

The MCI hype is just hopeful at the moment.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

I’m sure it includes the 4 man group but don’t believe it’s a developmental thing.  Isn’t it just 4 guys who don’t dress but get a check still. But If say a guy gets hurt hours b4 the game, 1 of those 4 dudes could replace him on the AR 

The league changed from the 4 man reserve (game day scratches) a number of years ago.

Teams now can have 1 game day scratch but it doesnt seem like the Bombers have utilized it for the last couple of years. (They used to annouce the game day scratch 1 hour before kick off).

They just put players on the 1 game injured list.

Maybe @DTonOB can provide some insight as he would be given the finalized rosters each game. 

47 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’ve wondered if we were going to call Worthy. We have the cash to make a move with Lawson out for the year.

So now we have the season-opening roster. If history is any predictor of the future, then this roster is going to look remarkably similar to our playoff roster this fall. MOS sticks to his starting lineup all year. Changes only get made when there is an injury, and when they say "next"; there is a preset pecking order to fill that spot. This is  the Marine gospel.

Unless there is a massive injury problem at a certain position, Walters doesn't make trades during the season. He's a good GM but he just hasn't made trades to simply upgrade an average player.

We also have not been picking up other teams cuts, traditionally. There is likely two or three players who have been cut from other teams, that could immediately help us on special teams as in punter & returner. There is likely a couple of dandy receivers that we could look at as well. I don't know this has anything to do with loyalty; is just the way we do things around here. In this, it seems to me, we are uniquely alone.
The other amazing thing is that we just do not pick up veteran cuts from other teams. I don't know but  often we won't pony up the dough they want. Or maybe we just don't want them breaking into our culture. This board often points out certain available players from other teams, but that just leaves us standing around our tongues hanging out - - no action, not even sniffing. Sigh!

And if our scouting staff does come up with an excellent import talent, he is guaranteed to be on the PR for the rest of the year in preparation for 2025… Nothing sooner.

So what we see right now is what we get for the season. Our opening roster is our closing roster except that some of the PR comes on to replace the injured. That's just what we do.

So don't worry; Be Happy!

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Me too... I thought Mario Alford didn't get picked up in the off season but could be misremembering....

Well he returned some punts or kickoffs against the bombers in the first preseason game...

2 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

So now we have the season-opening roster. If history is any predictor of the future, then this roster is going to look remarkably similar to our playoff roster this fall. MOS sticks to his starting lineup all year. Changes only get made when there is an injury, and when they say "next"; there is a preset pecking order to fill that spot. This is  the Marine gospel.

Unless there is a massive injury problem at a certain position, Walters doesn't make trades during the season. He's a good GM but he just hasn't made trades to simply upgrade an average player.

We also have not been picking up other teams cuts, traditionally. There is likely two or three players who have been cut from other teams, that could immediately help us on special teams as in punter & returner. There is likely a couple of dandy receivers that we could look at as well. I don't know this has anything to do with loyalty; is just the way we do things around here. In this, it seems to me, we are uniquely alone.
The other amazing thing is that we just do not pick up veteran cuts from other teams. I don't know but  often we won't pony up the dough they want. Or maybe we just don't want them breaking into our culture. This board often points out certain available players from other teams, but that just leaves us standing around our tongues hanging out - - no action, not even sniffing. Sigh!

And if our scouting staff does come up with an excellent import talent, he is guaranteed to be on the PR for the rest of the year in preparation for 2025… Nothing sooner.

So what we see right now is what we get for the season. Our opening roster is our closing roster except that some of the PR comes on to replace the injured. That's just what we do.

So don't worry; Be Happy!

Can you post this one more time?

Well he returned some punts or kickoffs against the bombers in the first preseason game...

I thought it was Liam Dobson who was returning kicks for the Riders.

In seriousness though. Riders had a couple of guys that had potential at returner we may want to take a look at (if they didn't also make the team) 

Edited by BBlink

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Certainly didn't look that way.

He was taking carries as a primary back behind 3rd string OL and running hard.  He's taken regular reps at 2 receivers spots throughout camp.

MCI did squat and showed up late.  If he's on the roster it's to cover kicks.  Hopefully he knows what he's doing in that regard.

The MCI hype is just hopeful at the moment.

Thought MCI was pencilled in as the FB?

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Thought MCI was pencilled in as the FB?

There's talk of him performing in that role.  He has no experience with it and didn't hit the field in preseason.

Guess we'll see what the plan is.

In any event cutting Rosery feels like a bad move to me given the overall makeup of our roster and commitment to using 6-7-8 Canadians regularly on O.  If we lose a Canadian OL to injury our roster will be in significant flux.  Sounds like Eli might be down for awhile and there's some durability concerns there so Wallace is likely our 6th OL Day 1.

Cutting Rosery after he did every thing we could ask of him makes no sense. It makes even less sense to have wasted soo many reps and snaps on a guy who if he did what we wanted we still wouldn’t keep around. They could’ve used mci in those snaps. 
 Hopefully it’s just some roster shuffle stuff and he’s brought back already for the pr. I wouldn’t have cut Murphy but I would’ve kept rosery over Murphy. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Interesting cut down...will offer my perspective in a bit...just at the gym working the steel out with the devil...some you may be shocked with my take haha...I expect Mason here within the week...

Just curious, why are people so excited about Mason Bennett considering he couldn’t stick with the Ti-cats? Local guy, but what else?

Just now, M.Silverback said:

Just curious, why are people so excited about Mason Bennett considering he couldn’t stick with the Ti-cats? Local guy, but what else?

Solid rotational piece (for a NI) and would be an upgrade over Jake Thomas (love the guy but he’s well past his before before date).

2 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

There are quite possibly extenuating circumstances behind his Hamilton release. He took less money to stay in Hamilton because he wanted an opportunity to start, but he still got paid “starter” calibre money. Not Lawson dollars, but close to it. With that kind of price tag and a whole mess of Canadian defensive linemen, it looks like they decided to cut bait on the price tag just as much as anything.

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Cutting Rosery after he did every thing we could ask of him makes no sense. It makes even less sense to have wasted soo many reps and snaps on a guy who if he did what we wanted we still wouldn’t keep around. They could’ve used mci in those snaps. 
 Hopefully it’s just some roster shuffle stuff and he’s brought back already for the pr. I wouldn’t have cut Murphy but I would’ve kept rosery over Murphy. 

I might have kept both of them over 3 import OL on the PR....but I guess they are covering 3 OL spots there....one interior guy (Vanterpool played a ton of guard in both games), one guy to develop as LT (Coleman) and one guy to continue competing at RT (Randolph).  Not sure we needed to keep two import receivers either.  More pressing roster need will be if we get a Canadian or two dinged on O.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

There are quite possibly extenuating circumstances behind his Hamilton release. He took less money to stay in Hamilton because he wanted an opportunity to start, but he still got paid “starter” calibre money. Not Lawson dollars, but close to it. With that kind of price tag and a whole mess of Canadian defensive linemen, it looks like they decided to cut bait on the price tag just as much as anything.

Hamilton ratio changed a lot with DL departures too.  I'd much rather have him than the other Bennett sneak back onto the roster.

7 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

So 10 Canadian starters when 6 will do. Osh has lost the plot.  Thomas and gauthier starting is just mind boggling. I hope this is wrong cuz set up to fail in my opinion. 

Edited by Goalie