Blue Bombers Cuts Discussion

Just a couple of quick thoughts because with so many bodies and so few quality game reps it’s hard for me to be too invested:

Based on how our roster is constructed, and where we have invested heavily on NIs, cutting Rosery is somewhat baffling.  Can’t ask a guy to do much more than what he did and it’s not like Augustine has every really done anything of note.

How McGhee is still here is beyond me.  I joked in another thread, asking if he could potentially play himself off the roster and he did nothing to alleviate any concerns I might have.  We had nobody better / willing to stick around? Yikes.

i don’t get the Mitchell love (from the staff).  Feels like Greg McCrae with worse hands.

28 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

We also have not been picking up other teams cuts, traditionally.

I don't think this is true at all actually... Miles Fox last year. Brian Cole and previously Malik Clements. Kenny Lawler was originally cut by BC before we picked him up in 2018.

Michael Griffin was cut from Calgary after playing the full year there last year and made PR.

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

So 10 Canadian starters when 6 will do. Osh has lost the plot.  Thomas and gauthier starting is just mind boggling. I hope this is wrong cuz set up to fail in my opinion. 

They will only need 1 Canadian on the field at a given time on D.

I wouldn't read too much into where guys are on "depth" chart.  They'll probably have snaps with 1 Canadian out there and snaps with 3 or 4 depending on set for D.  They can run sets with only Ford out there for instance and American LB/DL group.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

There are quite possibly extenuating circumstances behind his Hamilton release. He took less money to stay in Hamilton because he wanted an opportunity to start, but he still got paid “starter” calibre money. Not Lawson dollars, but close to it. With that kind of price tag and a whole mess of Canadian defensive linemen, it looks like they decided to cut bait on the price tag just as much as anything.

Everybody loves Orlando, but not a lot of evidence he was ever good at any of the jobs he performed for the Ti-Cats, now that he's been shuffled off to the side I expect they'll finally perform to the level Bob Young deserves for the money he's spent on player personnel over the years. 

4 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Just a couple of quick thoughts because with so many bodies and so few quality game reps it’s hard for me to be too invested:

Based on how our roster is constructed, and where we have invested heavily on NIs, cutting Rosery is somewhat baffling.  Can’t ask a guy to do much more than what he did and it’s not like Augustine has every really done anything of note.

How McGhee is still here is beyond me.  I joked in another thread, asking if he could potentially play himself off the roster and he did nothing to alleviate any concerns I might have.  We had nobody better / willing to stick around? Yikes.

i don’t get the Mitchell love (from the staff).  Feels like Greg McCrae with worse hands.

Mitchell wasn't that bad LOL.  Just had some pretty big errors that thought might have chopped him.  Think he's got a lot of potential and obviously we don't get much from a month of practice which is about 90% of their evaluation.

4 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

I don't think this is true at all actually... Miles Fox last year. Brian Cole and previously Malik Clements. Kenny Lawler was originally cut by BC before we picked him up in 2018.

Michael Griffin was cut from Calgary after playing the full year there last year and made PR.

Petrishen was also a BC cut from last season.

25 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

🤢

If that’s our starting roster for game 1, then we deserve a loss. Imagine if ba isn’t able to go (doubt he will be ready) and we start 11 Canadians lmao 

15 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

We seldom pick up cuts and plug them in. But we do dive through the rummage bin like every other team. No one does it particularly well though imo. 

14 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Mitchell wasn't that bad LOL.  Just had some pretty big errors that thought might have chopped him.  Think he's got a lot of potential and obviously we don't get much from a month of practice which is about 90% of their evaluation.

He wasn’t terrible by any means. But jumping up and chirping guys after 1 yard gains isn’t fifo it’s jones/dickenson 

17 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Were those not off-season pickups? I am talking about players brought in during the season. Does that make sense?

Odd use of the PR right now....which kinda isnt a shock, but it's early

That taylor depth chart...is that hgis assumption.....cause if it's actually what he was told then not as happy with how I originally saw things.

Smith will be around till healthy, thinking Moses too for part of the yr to see how he comes along, but happy with Gemmel and Ayers...if you look way back to posts before TCI diud say I liked At=yers and he could be the darkhorse to be rostered.

Thik we kept the right recievers, tho the pecking order/PR spots may change...I see what they might like in Mitchell...the twitchyshit he has and his playing well above his weight class, but still think Johnson is the most roster ready guy...he's the most polished and has that look of a typical CFL reciever

Like the DL deph and guys....and leads me to think that we go primarily import up front with I hope Schmeckleas the rotational Canadian...Thomas serves no purpose or upside/future so end that sad experiment now....Also Mason BenneTTI am 100 percent will be here in the mix and basically was a numbers/cash/ratio thing there....and if he lands here then we are set up well with who we kept.

I'm guessing sine we parted ways with Petrishen , and Moses is hurt (curious if he lingers around here) that means....and what I thought all along and camp ws basiclly just a waste of time here but Gauthier is pencilled in as Biggies replaement, and I fine with that if Ford is at corner, as we start 8 canadians then and only declare 1 on defence and he can be rotated out freely for one of Gemmel or Ayers. And if that keeps Thoimas off the field I am all for that, and startiung anymore than 8 Canadians is pointless....Cole needs to be on the field 80 percent of the snaps, and not habving him out there at SAMis a diservice to the defence in general.

BA also I 100 percent will be starting day 1 from some discussions I have had, and again I am 100 percent good with that...especially if he has tossed away the brace...if he hasn't time for transition during the season

McGhee on PR is the right decision....shockingly....and the guys they kept I think will be possibly an ongoing audition till we get it right, but with Nichols..Holm..Ford....we solid, so we can groom a guy on the fly

I'm very interested tho with the DI's how they work it, and if the 5th reciever is gonna pull return duties and we use that extra DI on defense.....which would give us a heck of a depth on that side of the ball...we have the ability to do it, and have 2019 style 7 man front just eating teams up...And I think thats what Younger wants....balls in Osheas court to do it

I mean … I genuinely don’t really know what people are upset about. We got what we all asked for, didn’t we?

Bridges, Bonds, Ayers, Adams, Woods, Wilson and Mitchell. 7 new guys on the roster, we didn’t keep McGhee, we found a new linebacker, the roster seems set up to have a strong rotation on the DL.

Ayers over Gemmel or Moses doesn’t wow me, but it’s not enough to get me upset either. I liked Ayers, I like that we get younger there and that we kept Gemmel on the PR too.

Bridges and Bonds are two names I’m super happy to see kept in the secondary.

We spent all camp talking about how nobody seems to have a clear idea of who should win the WR5 spot and now we’re mad about who won it? In fairness to both Pokey and Mitchell, they had to work with mostly chicken **** in the preseason so how fair is it to judge? 

We all wanted Adams kept and they didn’t mess that up at all.

Overall, I’m happy with how this ended up.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I also think we’re signing Bennett

I wondered if we might do that with Bennet. He's had some injury troubles the past 2 seasons. If it happens my son will be thrilled...he coached him at Vincent Massey

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

🤢

If that’s our starting roster for game 1, then we deserve a loss. Imagine if ba isn’t able to go (doubt he will be ready) and we start 11 Canadians lmao 

We seldom pick up cuts and plug them in. But we do dive through the rummage bin like every other team. No one does it particularly well though imo. 

He wasn’t terrible by any means. But jumping up and chirping guys after 1 yard gains isn’t fifo it’s jones/dickenson 

yeah....if thats how we alloctae our roster....its a sad sack affair again all yr with the PR nad roster issues not giving us our best....and will eat us up again in playoffs

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

🤢

thats the on thing on Mitchell I curious about....is he a fit...he seems pretty agitated and selfish....guess we shall see if this FIFO is legit.....Still rather see Johnson on roster....dude already looked like a vet

2 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Were those not off-season pickups? I am talking about players brought in during the season. Does that make sense?

Fox was brought in mid-June last year, Cole was mid-July the year before while Lawler was in September 2018.

I'm really hoping that Jordan Younger, given the extra responsibilities, will have a lot more say in how the defense is set up and that he will be pushing this group to reach its full potential. I mean, it's his job. O'Shea has been pretty clear in the past that he gives his assistants a lot of leash. So now it's time for a Younger guy to put his stamp on this team.

yes...u just need to declare the minimum 7 per game and where they are allotted on each side of the ball....and thats your minimum..it's just that at times we tend to over use some Canadians just because they are Canaduian and Osh is all about that...and it's needless, and doesnt make us better, especially when we dont take advantage of it and rotate guys freely....and some instances that rostered Canadian...well shouldnt even be on the roster

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I mean … I genuinely don’t really know what people are upset about. We got what we all asked for, didn’t we?

Bridges, Bonds, Ayers, Adams, Woods, Wilson and Mitchell. 7 new guys on the roster, we didn’t keep McGhee, we found a new linebacker, the roster seems set up to have a strong rotation on the DL.

Ayers over Gemmel or Moses doesn’t wow me, but it’s not enough to get me upset either. I liked Ayers, I like that we get younger there and that we kept Gemmel on the PR too.

Bridges and Bonds are two names I’m super happy to see kept in the secondary.

We spent all camp talking about how nobody seems to have a clear idea of who should win the WR5 spot and now we’re mad about who won it? In fairness to both Pokey and Mitchell, they had to work with mostly chicken **** in the preseason so how fair is it to judge? 

We all wanted Adams kept and they didn’t mess that up at all.

Overall, I’m happy with how this ended up.

As far as the cuts I think we did about what was expected. Rosery is the sorest point. It also seems like a lot of guys are nursing injuries I think like has been pointed out guys will be back if they get healthy and the spot is still open. 
 The depth chart is very concerning though. We gotta flip some of those old dogs and can’t start 10+ Canadians. 9 is too many. 

The primary way we move on from vets shouldn’t be they physically can’t lace em up any more. We’ve got to move on before guys are toast. 

I’d love it if BA can return to his classic form. That’s the best case scenario. I’m fine with giving guys a chance to come back from injury like that. Like we did with mo back in the day. Kyrie is on the edge of that with ba imo. Biggie too. If he’s properly healthy again with the imp dl in front of him and some better play call he would be fine. Gotta be his last year though. 
 Jake is firmly in the other side of that rainbow. 

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah....if thats how we alloctae our roster....its a sad sack affair again all yr with the PR nad roster issues not giving us our best....and will eat us up again in playoffs

thats the on thing on Mitchell I curious about....is he a fit...he seems pretty agitated and selfish....guess we shall see if this FIFO is legit.....Still rather see Johnson on roster....dude already looked like a vet

Maybe he’s just a fiery competitor like sheed maybe that’s what they see. I can’t understand it other wise. 

Kr, for a spot we targeted in the off season is screwed though. We need to be grabbing a vet. 

5 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I'm really hoping that Jordan Younger, given the extra responsibilities, will have a lot more say in how the defense is set up and that he will be pushing this group to reach its full potential. I mean, it's his job. O'Shea has been pretty clear in the past that he gives his assistants a lot of leash. So now it's time for a Younger guy to put his stamp on this team.

I am optimistic about that. Look forward to seeing how his D plays out.

Perhaps the thing with Mitchell was he had a few drops right but must mean he was getting open also. That’s more than lots of the receivers did. We got a few returners on the roster. Mitchell is one. Believe bonds does returns also. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Perhaps the thing with Mitchell was he had a few drops right but must mean he was getting open also. That’s more than lots of the receivers did. We got a few returners on the roster. Mitchell is one. Believe bonds does returns also. 

Mitchell got a crazy amount of playing time too.  There were 5-6 guys who basically didn't get on the field in that receiver competition.

Kind of hilarious they kept those 96 players around to the bitter end.

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Maybe. 
 There are but guys who haven’t gotten much for reps over guys who have been terrible. I like bonds as a player think he’s got a ton of upside. I don’t think many guys are quick easy plug n play punt returners. 

48 minutes ago, Goalie said:

So 10 Canadian starters when 6 will do. Osh has lost the plot.  Thomas and gauthier starting is just mind boggling. I hope this is wrong cuz set up to fail in my opinion. 

To be fair this us just what Derek Taylor thinks, and he values his own opinions overly much. It's not gospel yet.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Mitchell got a crazy amount of playing time too.  There were 5-6 guys who basically didn't get on the field in that receiver competition.

Kind of hilarious they kept those 96 players around to the bitter end.

I wonder if that ever bites us in the ass. 
 If I was one of those players or their agent I’d be pissed. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

To be fair this us just what Derek Taylor thinks, and he values his own opinions overly much. It's not gospel yet.

That’s true but man we are poised to do exactly that. And it’s like mos kryptonite.