Blue Bombers Cuts Discussion

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

To be fair this us just what Derek Taylor thinks, and he values his own opinions overly much. It's not gospel yet.

I dont think it's about valuing his opinion too much. Those are the guys under their current position. Actual formations/starters/backups will 100% change.

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Maybe. 
 There are but guys who haven’t gotten much for reps over guys who have been terrible. I like bonds as a player think he’s got a ton of upside. I don’t think many guys are quick easy plug n play punt returners. 

O. Wilson only had 2-3 passes thrown his way in both games, and he was headed in the wrong direction or already on the ground when he caught them, glad they saw his potential regardless of the poor QB play.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I dont think it's about valuing his opinion too much. Those are the guys under their current position. Actual formations/starters/backups will 100% change.

Oh he totally does have a high opinion of himself. Just who he is. 

I expect a lot if moving parts on D. Happy with some of the non-cuts, but for me mcghee was far worse than other dbs to my eye but he seems to avoid any scrutiny as one example.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

O. Wilson only had 2-3 passes thrown his way in both games, and he was headed in the wrong direction or already on the ground when he caught them, glad they saw his potential regardless of the poor QB play.

Evaluating wrs in those games is just impossible. I’m sure that 5th spot is 90% based on tc play. 
 That’s actually one position I’d be fine with flipping to ni. We don’t have two balls to share with all these weapons on O. Another blocker while woli plays slot would be good. 

I actually thought Mitchell showed enough at receiver. Top choice. Well hard to say given the qbing we got this preseason outside of streveler.  Just feels like they wasted a lot of reps on guys who had no chance. 

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

do we have any interest in Lenius?  Not sure why he was cut...

Hurt and no.

13 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I hope we don't start 10 Canadians, heck don't go over 8. MOS needs to get over his fetish.  

The "starter" or "backup" thing (again) is a total red herring.

We're better off with more guys who can play, there's no doubt about that.  Much prefer the approach to having roles for everyone rather than just have 12-15 guys who don't do anything but special teams...kind of the Taman/Mack era model.

15 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

a bit off topic but I think TSN and radio announcers around the league are a bit relieved that Diego ____ot was cut today.....lol...

Fa go 

3 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Like all the DTs they kept. 

5th WR is puzzling, I really hope it’s Wilson over Mitchell, but based off the game I don’t see how either of them beat out Johnson. 

I’m positive McGhee was the only one to accept a PR spot, there’s absolutely no other explanation.

Gauthier at starting MLB is a huge fail. 

No question Gauthier is a downgrade from Bighill, but a better run-stopper. With a respectable nose tackle or tackles, Gauthier and the other LBs ought to be able to range farther and faster in coverage.

Just now, Tracker said:

No question Gauthier is a downgrade from Bighill, but a better run-stopper. With a respectable nose tackle or tackles, Gauthier and the other LBs ought to be able to range farther and faster in coverage.

I’d say Gauthier is better than Biggie as an every down run-stopper, Biggie still better for short yardage. 
Agree a proper DT/nose rotation makes everyone look better. 
I don’t think they’d be totally screwed with Gauthier, circumstantially it’s still a pretty big fail imo. 

7 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Bauming seemed adamant it would be Wilson moving to MLB, Cole at WIL, and Kramdi at dime/sam. 
That doesn’t sound too bad actually, makes more sense than Gauthier getting a huge amount of snaps. 

Why make 2 moves tho to cover 1 spot...Leave Wilson as is...Cole at Sam and plug Gauthier in Biggies spot  for certain down and distance plays and freely rotate in one of Gemmel or Ayers for valuable reps and experience and see what they have and if they are heir apparent 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’d say Gauthier is better than Biggie as an every down run-stopper, Biggie still better for short yardage. 
Agree a proper DT/nose rotation makes everyone look better. 
I don’t think they’d be totally screwed with Gauthier, circumstantially it’s still a pretty big fail imo. 

Because O'Shea was a defensive player and a damned good one, I would defer to his judgment on defensive personnel. But yeah, its disconcerting to go from an all-star MLB to a whozat player.

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Why make 2 moves tho to cover 1 spot...Leave Wilson as is...Cole at Sam and plug Gauthier in Biggies spot  for certain down and distance plays and freely rotate in one of Gemmel or Ayers for valuable reps and experience and see what they have and if they are heir apparent 

For years though Bombers haven't played with guys in static positions, basically as long as Hall has been here.  Basically the corners and HB's are locked in and everyone else is playing multiple spots.  Wouldn't get too hung up on depth charts.  I think we'll see Cole at all levels of the D in the same game.  Guy like Bridges could be very similar between DB/S/LB spots.

I would take Derek Taylor’s depth chart with a grain of salt. Those ten Canadian “starters” I feel comfortable with in a variety of different roles. I think our NI depth gives us a lot of different options, one thing that looks apparent based on the final roster which is getting me excited is that it looks like there’s going to be a heavy DL rotation, a receipt for our success in 2019 and 2021. I see the majority of our Canadians starting on the offensive side of the ball, and having a mix of Kramadi, Ford, Thomas, Gauthier in more of a rotational role. The only Canadian on defense I see as a full time starter is Ford and maybe at times Kramidi. 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

yup.....Wilson to Wilson and the Wilson that was throwing thought our receivers were disguised as turf on more than one occasion.....I hope he fixes that and grounds himself properly

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

yup.....Wilson to Wilson and the Wilson that was throwing thought our receivers were disguised as turf on more than one occasion.....I hope he fixes that and grounds himself properly

He was playing behind a pretty bad Oline and wasn’t getting much time. I like what Wilson brings as a QB. Would have liked to see him behind the starting Oline for a series or 2 tho. For a guy new to the cfl playing behind cuts, he stood in there and took what was given to him. Don’t think he had time to throw the ball more than 10 yards tho. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

He was playing behind a pretty bad Oline and wasn’t getting much time. I like what Wilson brings as a QB. Would have liked to see him behind the starting Oline for a series or 2 tho. 

yeah.... to be fair you really can't judge his game properly until he's behind max protection....Certainly looks like he's got talent