Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Why would I be upset about a coach who thinks highly of a quarterback that helped him win back to back Grey Cups, helped lead a team to 4 in a row and will be an integral reason the coach will cement himself as the all time leader in wins by a Bomber coach?

Because none of that matters this week, next week or the week after.

I love Collaros, he’s one of my favourite Bombers of all time and I’m glad I never have to be the one who may need to make a tough decision about whether it’s time to go in a different direction for the betterment of our football team.

What’s the difference between Mike O’Shea and I? I’m not paid incredibly, incredibly well to be responsible for making that decision if and when I need to.

10 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Why would I be upset about a coach who thinks highly of a quarterback that helped him win back to back Grey Cups, helped lead a team to 4 in a row and will be an integral reason the coach will cement himself as the all time leader in wins by a Bomber coach?

He might have had success and we have looked good in winning two Cups....but the way things look right now he's not going to top Bud's record....He ain't no Grant

Edited by Stickem

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

Rosery is the prime example of a guy they could have called up when Brady went down.  He played well in preseason.  Knows the offense and *could* have come in in a pinch. 

The other thing that bothers me about our roster is that we are completely unable to pivot away from having a NI at RB.  We've invested so heavily in that position but have NOTHING in the way of an adequate backup if something catastrophic happens.  

Look halfback is the easiest position to learn to learn as a rookie.  Chris Ike will fine.  Block assignments are easy, the halfback takes the inside guy because he is the most dangerous threat to the QB.

Stop shitting on Canadian talent.  Augustine has abided his time.

It's the same with people losing it about giving Clercius a chance and miss using the term raw.

30 minutes ago, Mike said:

If anyone watched that O’Shea interview up there, I’m curious … was anyone else extremely bothered when his assessment of Zach was “he’s the best and I’ll always feel that way and nothing will ever change my mind”

so just watched that...Is he a) truly that clueless b) playing dumb with questions c ) just an all around arrogant jagoff?

How do you have no clue about what happened in that pathetic loss there last yr....you not review anything?....then say late in game we couldn't tackle Crum?...what is it? And it was obvious our 5 dlineman were totally gassed, as well as an inferior Briggs....and thats why we couldnt tackle...

How do you not have a pulse on your team, and a knowledge..or keen understanding what thier injury status is in the week leading up to the game...thats something you as a HC should be all over and already implementing a plan just in case during the week....with your coaches...and not just going by what player says on game day, or when you have to produce a depth chart and just basically winging it then...like what the bloody eff?!?! we saw how well that worked in last years Grey Cup

Same with non commital answers, or lame ones like "he caught the punts well in practice"...really?...He more than anyone being a former player, ST co-ord should know first hand fielding a punt when you know there no risk of getting decapitated is nothing like in a game....such a piss poor reasoning and basically a veiled answer covering the fact that once Smith went down they had no plan B

I go to camps and combine preps teaching long snapping and have guys who can fire a bullet...in practice but in a game just can't do it .....so irratating

nd asked about if when they lose...if it changes their process...and he had no clue....like maybe start coaching and be a friggin hard ass and see what and how they "prepared" and suggest or make a change...as these one off losses....are all too common now....some of whatever "process" we are using isnt getting it done now that we have an aging roster, and some less than optimum guys occupying spots.

This is not a case per say of a coach losing a room....more of one it seems has no clue on his room and is relying too much on things that worked 3..4 yrs ago.....this is almost becoming a joke...and jokes on us

Edited by Booch

10 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Look halfback is the easiest position to learn to learn as a rookie.  Chris Ike will fine.  Block assignments are easy, the halfback takes the inside guy because he is the most dangerous threat to the QB.

It's the same with people losing it about giving Clercius a chance and miss using the term raw.

Nobody was losing it about Clercius. If you want to continue to suck off Canadian talent, go for it. Your first paragraph tells anyone with half a clue about football all they need to know about how well thought out this opinion of yours is.

Canadian good, Canadian never bad.

We get it.

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

Because none of that matters this week, next week or the week after.

I love Collaros, he’s one of my favourite Bombers of all time and I’m glad I never have to be the one who may need to make a tough decision about whether it’s time to go in a different direction for the betterment of our football team.

What’s the difference between Mike O’Shea and I? I’m not paid incredibly, incredibly well to be responsible for making that decision if and when I need to.

And the sentiments a coach expresses about a player who has helped him accomplish so much means very little to me in the grand scheme of things because it's a natural human response.

As a fan, I want to win and hope whomever is leading this team will make the tough decisions when they have to but I completely understand WHY O'Shea feels the way he does.  So no, it doesn't bother me at all that he expressed this.  I get it.   What does bother me is that we aren't protecting our QB as well as we used to .. it bothers me that our offense has become fairly predictable, pedestrian and aren't giving playmakers a chance to flash .. it bothers me that we've prioritized spending at a largely disposable position instead of doing all we can to keep our pivot from taking unnecessary shots.  We all watched Khari become a shell of himself because we failed to invest in protecting him .. we are seeing that play out (to an extent) with Zach.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Zach truther.  I've been critical of his play and routinely called out his performance late in the last couple of seasons. I feel he is closer to the end than not but, right now, he's the least of my worries.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nobody was losing it about Clercius. If you want to continue to suck off Canadian talent, go for it. Your first paragraph tells anyone with half a clue about football all they need to know about how well thought out this opinion of yours is.

Canadian good, Canadian never bad.

We get it.

and boundary corner..then safety are probablythe easiest to learn...not RB

Clericus is a stud as well...and would have preferrred we used him as 5th guy....and eliminated the need for canadian depth on dline...just the fact alone thathe scored as one of the highest in grip strength ...including lineman and linebackers is reason enough to give him the hance to be a solid possesion guy and not a fumble risk....all you want in a 5th guy

Edited by Booch

14 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

It’s easy because the market is saturated with high talent guys and rbs generally aren’t converted position guys. Ike has about 100 college carries and under 500 rush yards despite his years down south. That isn’t plug and play as we well saw in pre season. 
 That’s not how blocking assignments work at rb. That’s how they work at the line. RBs have to read the pressure on both sides, evaluate who has the fastest path, which isn’t automatically the inside guy, pick up a block and half the time here block and release. Augustine still can’t do it, neither can stanback. 

Spending time as a back up doesn’t earn you a starting job. Karamoko has been here longer than most of the rest of the dbs. Augustine can run, but isn’t able to push the pile and grind out yards which is what our offence needs, and can’t pass pro which is as important. 

No ones mad about Kevens being on the roster, he had 600 yards in almost 40 games of college ball. He isn’t a top threat but he doesn’t need to be for his role here. Or to slide woli over and play wolis role. 

23 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

This tells me all I need about you.  There's a reason so many backs wash out of professional football (or are reduced to being just an early down thumper) .. they can't pass protect to save their lives.  The CFL, by it's nature, puts a premium on backs who are multi-dimensional.  Chris-Ike hasn't demonstrated that here.  Augustine has never really demonstrated that here.  There's a reason why Harris played over Brady .. and a reason why Brady earned the role over Augustine later.

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

and boundary corner..then safety are probablythe easiest to learn...not RB

Clericus is a stud as well...and would have preferrred we used him as 5th guy....and eliminated the need for canadian depth on dline...just the fact alone thathe scored as one of the highest in grip strength ...including lineman and linebackers is reason enough to give him the hance to be a solid possesion guy and not a fumble risk....all you want in a 5th guy

Rb is less easy here as well, due to the reads required in our tight zone scheme, the blocking demands and the ability to pass catch. Plus as we saw in week 1, the exchange alone in an option offence isn’t easy for the rb.  

Just now, voodoochylde said:

This tells me all I need about you.  There's a reason so many backs wash out of professional football (or are regulated to being just an early down thumper) .. they can't pass protect to save their lives.

I agree tho...MCI will be fine....right coaching...res...experience.....not worried there, but he's not the back-up RB yet...but his physical skills and body type can't be ignored...he will get there

I agree, he may get there, but to expect a raw rookie to step in .. pick up protections and help give Zach a clean pocket (or a reliable outlet) is expecting too much and simply philosophically, I don't feel RB is a position *any* team should invest heavily in - especially in the CFL.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

I agree tho...MCI will be fine....right coaching...res...experience.....not worried there, but he's not the back-up RB yet...but his physical skills and body type can't be ignored...he will get there

48 minutes ago, Mike said:

If anyone watched that O’Shea interview up there, I’m curious … was anyone else extremely bothered when his assessment of Zach was “he’s the best and I’ll always feel that way and nothing will ever change my mind”

Yes. That’s a microcosm of everything that bugs me about Osh. 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Yep. He has the right work ethic, desire, character and football iq. 
 He needs a lot of coaching in terms of his running position, angles and reading the play. Even Brady needed a good bit of time, work and adjustments to be what he is today. Lots of people were ready to toss him away for Augustine not that long ago. No position is a turn key instant starter for an ni. 

3 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

I agree, he may get there, but to expect a raw rookie to step in .. pick up protections and help give Zach a clean pocket (or a reliable outlet) is expecting too much and simply philosophically, I don't feel RB is a position *any* team should invest heavily in - especially in the CFL.

You aren’t investing in the position, it’s the passport, athlete and soft skills that’s being invested in. You have to invest in every ni prospect. We virtually never see guys come from good d1 programs, with the type of resume an imp would have, and no nfl experience. 
 Investing time and coaching is far better than more cap space as well. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Yep. He has the right work ethic, desire, character and football iq. 
 He needs a lot of coaching in terms of his running position, angles and reading the play. Even Brady needed a good bit of time, work and adjustments to be what he is today. Lots of people were ready to toss him away for Augustine not that long ago. No position is a turn key instant starter for an ni. 

once he is coached up...a 6'-2" 225lb+ back who runs a 4.5 40 yard dash....once he puts it all together.....

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I think we’re going to see a lot of Feltmate and Clercius tomorrow.

Definitely expect heavy sets and 40 plus passing attempts. I especially expect to see more screens, the pa roll out crosser and other high percentage passes. 

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

You aren’t investing in the position, it’s the passport, athlete and soft skills that’s being invested in. You have to invest in every ni prospect. We virtually never see guys come from good d1 programs, with the type of resume an imp would have, and no nfl experience. 

he gives us way more right now than the waste we had there last yr....Ratio alone......and he has to be respected coming out of the backfield...regardless if has has proven anything yet or not...

Edited by Booch

1 minute ago, Booch said:

once he is coached up...a 6'-2" 225lb+ back who runs a 4.5 40 yard dash....once he puts it all together.....

Yeah he’s gonna be scary good. Forget being able to have him and Brady on the field together or being able to reduce the load on Brady to extend his career, dude has the whole package. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I'm talking financially.  

Just now, voodoochylde said:

I'm talking financially.  

He’s on a rookie ni scale deal lol. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

he gives us way more right now than the waste we had their last yr....Ratio alone......and he has to be respected coming out of the backfield...regardless if has has proven anything yet or not...

In time id love to see a 21 form set with clercius and mci as tes at some point. If both those guys run routes who do you have cover them? If they block do you have dbs try to beat the block? 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He’s on a rookie ni scale deal lol. 

In time id love to see a 21 form set with clercius and mci as tes at some point. If both those guys run routes who do you have cover them? If they block do you have dbs try to beat the block? 

Brady is on a rookie deal?

To me, making running back as big a part of your cap picture as we have, isn't the best use of resources.  While I love Brady, I wasn't going to be too disappointed if another team overpaid for him because I think we could have better used that money elsewhere.  

the issue I have with the roster is two fold... and yes I know this has already been beaten to death in the last two hours but I want to join in...

RB is a concern... Augustine is given the start by default, not because he earned it... If Chris Smith hadn't got hurt and stayed around... would the team have switched (very easily, I might add) the ratio to start an American back?... I'm not totally convinced they would have...

The DL is a concern... the biggest strength of our D in game 1 and pre-season was the front four, specifically when we played Fox/Woods in the middle... tomorrow night we're likely going to see 1 DL spot occupied but Jake and Schmek all night... and Haba and Willie gassed by the 3rd quarter... who though that was a good idea??