Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

14 minutes ago, bearpants said:

the issue I have with the roster is two fold... and yes I know this has already been beaten to death in the last two hours but I want to join in...

RB is a concern... Augustine is given the start by default, not because he earned it... If Chris Smith hadn't got hurt and stayed around... would the team have switched (very easily, I might add) the ratio to start an American back?... I'm not totally convinced they would have...

The DL is a concern... the biggest strength of our D in game 1 and pre-season was the front four, specifically when we played Fox/Woods in the middle... tomorrow night we're likely going to see 1 DL spot occupied but Jake and Schmek all night... and Haba and Willie gassed by the 3rd quarter... who though that was a good idea?? 

If Smith wasn't hurt, and on roster...now way in hell would Osh have flipped the ratio there...never....taking a "canadian" starter spot off the depth chart not in his DNA....he will put one in place of an injured American before going the other way evertime tho...even if they are far inferior to who got hurt, as well as any import "backup" we have on roster, or PR...as they are all #1's anyway according to him...or wouldnt be here...which is a joke in itself

Edited by Booch

16 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Brady is on a rookie deal?

To me, making running back as big a part of your cap picture as we have, isn't the best use of resources.  While I love Brady, I wasn't going to be too disappointed if another team overpaid for him because I think we could have better used that money elsewhere.  

If by a big part of your cap hit you mean 4th or 5th highest on offence, and less than the last two ol we lost to free agency, you should re evaluate your position. 
 3 of the highest paid wrs in the league are here who average about 15k more than Brady. We have guys at other positions like wj earning comparable money. 
 To say Brady’s deal is a mistake is silly. 

18 minutes ago, bearpants said:

the issue I have with the roster is two fold... and yes I know this has already been beaten to death in the last two hours but I want to join in...

RB is a concern... Augustine is given the start by default, not because he earned it... If Chris Smith hadn't got hurt and stayed around... would the team have switched (very easily, I might add) the ratio to start an American back?... I'm not totally convinced they would have...

The DL is a concern... the biggest strength of our D in game 1 and pre-season was the front four, specifically when we played Fox/Woods in the middle... tomorrow night we're likely going to see 1 DL spot occupied but Jake and Schmek all night... and Haba and Willie gassed by the 3rd quarter... who though that was a good idea?? 

Too much old money, not enough young talent. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I get the way MOS operates with the media. I know he wants to protect his players and not tell anything. 

Still “..those answers involve the word urgency. I don’t think that exists” 

Well **** man, maybe it should. 

The bit on Rose was interesting.. Dude was clearly pissed about being left off for the GC. 

Rose's feelings being hurt is irrelevant ... the reason he should've been rostered is because Biggie had no business being out there (I know, hot take! this is definitely the first time that's been mentioned)...  

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

He might have had success and we have looked good in winning two Cups....but the way things look right now he's not going to top Bud's record....He ain't no Grant

And by right now you mean that you're basing everything on one week 1 cfl game? Don't get me wrong I think the potential exists for Winnipeg to seriously decline this season. Especially with so many younger players in the starting lineup this season.  I count Dobsen, Loften, Wheatfall, Mitchell, Wilson, Bonds, Ford, Fox/Bryant, and Haba. There's bound to be some growing pains. I just don't see any reason to panic based on one week 1 football game. I wouldn't even panic if i was the team that lost to a quarterbackless Toronto team.  A toronto team that most on here were expecting to be horrible.   We will know a lot more about this year's team after the next game or two. 

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

And by right now you mean that you're basing everything on one week 1 cfl game? Don't get me wrong I think the potential exists for Winnipeg to seriously decline this season. Especially with so many younger players in the starting lineup this season.  I count Dobsen, Loften, Wheatfall, Mitchell, Wilson, Bonds, Ford, Fox/Bryant, and Haba. There's bound to be some growing pains. I just don't see any reason to panic based on one week 1 football game. I wouldn't even panic if i was the team that lost to a quarterbackless Toronto team.  A toronto team that most on here were expecting to be horrible.   We will know a lot more about this year's team after the next game or two. 

It’s absolutely not based off one Week 1 loss. It’s based off a gradual decline since the end of 2022. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

not based on 1 game this yr...based on the same kind of stuffing going on over 2 yrs now

also the younger guys on the roster won't be the reason for decline...It's "some" of the aging guys...not all....but a good portion of the aging/inadequate/no use other than special teams guys filling spots here for no other reason than that they have been here a while, and we have a hard time of late moving on, and actually trying to get continually better on the fly

5 minutes ago, coach17 said:

I'm wondering if we use a lot more of the 2 QB set this game with Streveler taking part in the ground game more. Also would not be surprised to see Demski getting looks this game from the HB position. 

I want to see Steveler when brought in used in the actual offence....not just totally obvious designed runs....let him show he is an actual QB so that when he comes in...teams don't just load the box....that and actually use option when he is in...and some trickery.

If ZCgoes down...or just keeps turning up the suck....Strev needs to have actually ran the offence before that....forward thinking and preperation for the unknown/ineviteable...things this staff has been ignoring and over looking

Even us armchair coaches and gas can see the roster issues and thr problems it caused last season... to continue with the same old same old as if it wasn't a problem is why people are getting angry. 

There is no need to play on hard mode. None at all. Build the game day roster properly and stop wasting spots or expecting too much from over the hill vets.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Even us armchair coaches and gas can see the roster issues and thr problems it caused last season... to continue with the same old same old as if it wasn't a problem is why people are getting angry. 

There is no need to play on hard mode. None at all. Build the game day roster properly and stop wasting spots or expecting too much from over the hill vets.

good teams tweak...transition and work guys in over the yr..and aren't afraid to put a new "better" guy in at any point in season...as they earned it and cleary are better as opposed to rewarded....just look at 2019 as an example...late season adding Maston and Taylor...and how it turned us around....we used to do it....what happened?....

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Let's forget the defense for a moment... why do we need 7 ol dressed? That's a wasted spot objectively.

yeah we don't....Dress Murphy for reciever depth...see what he has....Or roster Rosery.....there's a thought....if one thinks a DT or any bigger bodied guy cant come in for that what..1..maybe 2 times all 7 are actually in they sorely mistaken

I don't disagree that there's been somewhat of a decline since the team peaked a couple seasons back. But the bombers still went 14 and 4 last season and came within one 3rd and long stop of winning the Grey Cup.   That's not a significant decline. The focus has been on winning the Grey Cup each of the last 4 seasons and would have been 5 without the pandemic.   There isn't a single season in the last 4 this team didn't legit compete for a Grey Cup.  They probably should have focused on replacing more of the vets sooner.  The result of that is that we are going to suffer this season more from the inexperienced younger players in the lineup than aging players.   Had we replaced more of the older players sooner we wouldn't be in this situation now but when you factor in that they were competing for Grey Cups year in year out a small step back this season is likely worth it.  I still think this team has the potential to be pretty good and the younger players are going to be better down the stretch than they are now. I don't really see that many aging players on the roster who are hurting the team.  If we are complaining about Zach..  which other starter in the CFL right now we would not be complaining about? Micthell, Harris, Fajardo, MBT? You can argue that Bighill is hurting us as the funds might have been better spent elsewhere. Jefferson and Bryant still look good to me. 

5 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I don't disagree that there's been somewhat of a decline since the team peaked a couple seasons back. But the bombers still went 14 and 4 last season and came within one 3rd and long stop of winning the Grey Cup.   That's not a significant decline. The focus has been on winning the Grey Cup each of the last 4 seasons and would have been 5 without the pandemic.   There isn't a single season in the last 4 this team didn't legit compete for a Grey Cup.  They probably should have focused on replacing more of the vets sooner.  The result of that is that we are going to suffer this season more from the inexperienced younger players in the lineup than aging players.   Had we replaced more of the older players sooner we wouldn't be in this situation now but when you factor in that they were competing for Grey Cups year in year out a small step back this season is likely worth it.  I still think this team has the potential to be pretty good and the younger players are going to be better down the stretch than they are now. I don't really see that many aging players on the roster who are hurting the team.  If we are complaining about Zach..  which other starter in the CFL right now we would not be complaining about? Micthell, Harris, Fajardo, MBT? You can argue that Bighill is hurting us as the funds might have been better spent elsewhere. Jefferson and Bryant still look good to me. 

You’re not really arguing against a point anyone is making. The majority of people here aren’t concerned about the individual decline of players. They’re concerned that we’re not doing anywhere near enough to prepare for that decline / put the best lineup we can on the field.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

You’re not really arguing against a point anyone is making. The majority of people here aren’t concerned about the individual decline of players. They’re concerned that we’re not doing anywhere near enough to prepare for that decline / put the best lineup we can on the field.

Colin and missing the point, name a more iconic duo.

3 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

A couple of thoughts:

• Unless they are worried about Wallace being poached off the PR or Eli is still too hurt to play more than a handful of snaps a game, then Wallace being the 7th lineman on the active roster makes absolutely zero sense. 
  • I'm not thrilled about the deletion of Woods from what was a largely effective unit last week.
  • I'd feel more comfortable with a guy like Rosery backing up (hell starting over) Augustine vs. Chris-Ike.  In an ideal world, we have a much more well rounded back step in to that role and Augustine simply rides the pine.
  • I'm not too upset over Bighill's insertion. We have the horses there to make a change in game if he's labouring.  The question is will we make the change?  (the answer is likely no).
  • Can I say I don't like Mitchell being on the roster, period?  That opinion won't change until he does anything remotely productive offensively or on special teams.

Having a 7th OL is an almost guarantee that someone else on the OL roster was a coin flip health wise.

Just now, GCn20 said:

Having a 7th OL is an almost guarantee that someone else on the OL roster was a coin flip health wise.

They had 7 ol on the roster most of last season... and still gave Thomas an emergency ol number in case. It's a wasted spot unless the extremely rare case of more than 2 guys getting hurt in game.

46 minutes ago, Booch said:

not based on 1 game this yr...based on the same kind of stuffing going on over 2 yrs now

also the younger guys on the roster won't be the reason for decline...It's "some" of the aging guys...not all....but a good portion of the aging/inadequate/no use other than special teams guys filling spots here for no other reason than that they have been here a while, and we have a hard time of late moving on, and actually trying to get continually better on the fly

I want to see Steveler when brought in used in the actual offence....not just totally obvious designed runs....let him show he is an actual QB so that when he comes in...teams don't just load the box....that and actually use option when he is in...and some trickery.

If ZCgoes down...or just keeps turning up the suck....Strev needs to have actually ran the offence before that....forward thinking and preperation for the unknown/ineviteable...things this staff has been ignoring and over looking

I absolutely want the same thing for Strev, however, I wanted rolled out more and more in progressions as the season goes on. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

They had 7 ol on the roster most of last season... and still gave Thomas an emergency ol number in case. It's a wasted spot unless the extremely rare case of more than 2 guys getting hurt in game.

Such a ripple effect too. I wouldn’t care anywhere near as much about dressing 718 linebackers if we could use that extra OL spot for a DL

Just now, 17to85 said:

pretty sure we the only team that does this....i sure 1 out of 9 HC's isnt the lone genius....i would lean to thinking that he the lone....u fill in the blank

Just now, Mike said:

Such a ripple effect too. I wouldn’t care anywhere near as much about dressing 718 linebackers if we could use that extra OL spot for a DL

so looking at that tripe...basically the insertion of Biggie was the exile of Woods...correct?