Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Yeah I wouldn’t argue that too hard or anything, given it’s just speculation on my part. 
Either way I’m hoping they still bring in another body or 2 for the DL. 

At the very least they need Fayed plus one more (Woods) on the AR.  Ideally a third guy to audition as well before Garbutt comes back- this is less likely but I’d really like to see them bring Taylor Upshaw back, you guys who know more convinced me he was better than Rivers at the end of preseason. 

Bring Cedric Wilcots back, he's a Jr. imitation of Jeffcoat in style and he might still be here if they hadn't traded him away for Alden Darby.

Edited by Fatty Liver

9 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Bring Cedric Wilcots back, he's a Jr. imitation of Jeffcoat in style and he might still be here if they hadn't traded him away for Alden Darby.

Could give him a look.  Wasn’t much of a pass rusher in his first go round here.  Think we need someone who can get some pressures off the edge so we don’t have to rely on blitz.

Games are won and lost in the trenches, it has been that way for a long time. Its a big reason why a few adds put Mtrl near the top last year, It was the reason we won our first couple Grey Cups and IMO the same reason we lost our last couple.

We have had a very good O-line for many years and arguably one of the best D-lines, however for whatever reason we decided that our D-line especially could purely run off of next man up philosophy and got weaker, as it got weaker so did our dominance....coincidence??? Just look last week at the pressure and compete along the line on our defence until Habba and Fox went down. then Ott's offence changed....did they get better??  No we played with a way to thin d-line made up of rotation pieces and rookies.

Some guys especially along the o-line we couldn't afford to keep and that is the nature of the beast, but what I don't like is the lack of d-lineman we roster, the illusion of an attitude that it's next man up regardless....look I don't like the guy, but if we brought in Lemon instead of Mtrl. I bet we are defending champs..

Yes we have detrimental injuries this year, but it's the lines where we are losing IMO....true Zach needs to play better, but without a run game this is Zach. Give him a solid run game and watch the o-line look better and he will also, I strongly believe that.

Last week was too easy for the opposition, we had only 4 d-lineman that were outta position, tired and inexperienced...that bought Ott just that bit of an edge. Our offence had zero threat of a run game, again giving Ott defence that bit of an edge.

Osh and team have taken us to four straight, so they have grace, but "next man up" is not do-able right now....we added a D-lineman, great start we should IMO keep adding. If Brady is out any longer we need to do something to address our lack of run game, JA is a great rotation piece, MCI is too raw. It's not fair to fully evaluate this o-line without establishing a run game and having a back that can block like AH did and Brady is developing into.

Is all lost....no but we need players especially along the d-line, we need to roster enough to keep them fresh and we need to establish a run game.

1 hour ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Games are won and lost in the trenches, it has been that way for a long time. Its a big reason why a few adds put Mtrl near the top last year, It was the reason we won our first couple Grey Cups and IMO the same reason we lost our last couple.

We have had a very good O-line for many years and arguably one of the best D-lines, however for whatever reason we decided that our D-line especially could purely run off of next man up philosophy and got weaker, as it got weaker so did our dominance....coincidence??? Just look last week at the pressure and compete along the line on our defence until Habba and Fox went down. then Ott's offence changed....did they get better??  No we played with a way to thin d-line made up of rotation pieces and rookies.

Some guys especially along the o-line we couldn't afford to keep and that is the nature of the beast, but what I don't like is the lack of d-lineman we roster, the illusion of an attitude that it's next man up regardless....look I don't like the guy, but if we brought in Lemon instead of Mtrl. I bet we are defending champs..

Yes we have detrimental injuries this year, but it's the lines where we are losing IMO....true Zach needs to play better, but without a run game this is Zach. Give him a solid run game and watch the o-line look better and he will also, I strongly believe that.

Last week was too easy for the opposition, we had only 4 d-lineman that were outta position, tired and inexperienced...that bought Ott just that bit of an edge. Our offence had zero threat of a run game, again giving Ott defence that bit of an edge.

Osh and team have taken us to four straight, so they have grace, but "next man up" is not do-able right now....we added a D-lineman, great start we should IMO keep adding. If Brady is out any longer we need to do something to address our lack of run game, JA is a great rotation piece, MCI is too raw. It's not fair to fully evaluate this o-line without establishing a run game and having a back that can block like AH did and Brady is developing into.

Is all lost....no but we need players especially along the d-line, we need to roster enough to keep them fresh and we need to establish a run game.

Not much would have changed even if they added Woods last game, with the injuries to Fox, Haba and Garbutt they have an unexpected crisis on their hands.  Losing Jeffcoat they've made appropriate changes to the D-line for this season, can't rationally fault those choices, with injuries they're now forced to make a few more adjustments.

7 hours ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Yeah, it Brady’s out more than a couple of weeks they need to get an American signed. 
There’s a hundred backs in the states that could come in and offer more in terms of running the ball.

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

I like both of these developments

Never been a fan of having the punter hold. Let a QB do it and leave your self options. 

Watch if augustine can't go they will start MCI LOL. 

16 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Mitchell and Chris Smith were both fielding field goals.

I dont see MCI on the field - he's with the receivers today.

Who is taking the rb spot in practice? 

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Never been a fan of having the punter hold. Let a QB do it and leave your self options. 

Watch if augustine can't go they will start MCI LOL. 

Who is taking the rb spot in practice? 

Augustine is taking most of the reps with MCI in the back up role. Johnny seems to be fine, he just looked to be working out the stiffness in a leg earlier.

Smith was taking part in the individual drills but not the 12 on 12.

46 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Augustine looks like he's a little banged up.

Streveler is doing the holding for field goals so far today.

I wonder if a new punter is being brought in. Sheahan has been holding. 

Edited by Goalie

44 minutes ago, Mike said:

I like both of these developments

dare we see a fake no....after 7 yrs of no creativity....hmmmmm

40 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Mitchell and Chris Smith were both fielding field goals.

I dont see MCI on the field - he's with the receivers today.

Mitchell in all reality should be gone if Smith is ready....he is the better returner...a true running back and is legit as a reciever...plus prob one the fastest guys on the team

24 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

No changes to the oline.

Murphy getting lots of reps with the starters in place of Schoen.

nice for him....but why not johnson?...in regards to recievers not named Schoen..Demski..Lawler...Woli..Wheats....and Clericus...he's the one with most polish and pro savy...another in long line of poor decisions...I guess tenure trumping talent ...again

13 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Team is going heavy on linebackers again with lots of 3 man lines.

when u have no depth....no DE whatsover on any list to plug in....only 2 legit DT's (Admas and Woods...both rookies) you are relegated to that...again...sad state of affairs with roster and personell 

8 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Augustine is taking most of the reps with MCI in the back up role. Johnny seems to be fine, he just looked to be working out the stiffness in a leg earlier.

Smith was taking part in the individual drills but not the 12 on 12.

again...plain stupidity...put a legit RB in there who's a threat...and has world class breakout speed...if you need to swap Clericus for Wilson, as you would prob get more overall value out of him....and switch your ratio....as adding another to defense would do nothing to make us better, if we dont have to have 2 always on field there

Edited by Booch

10 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

These updates are getting me to think it’s going to be the status quo again this week. No urgency to change things and get better. The arrogance from the coaching staff.. 

Think Fayad and Smith will be on.  Mitchell and someone else will be off, likely Bridges or Ayers.

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I wonder if a new punter is being brought in. Sheahan has been holding. 

No new punter but Castillo did punt a couple of times. 

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Think Fayad and Smith will be on.  Mitchell and someone else will be off, likely Bridges or Ayers.

Bridges will be playing. Might be starting with Nichols not practicing today.

It does seem depressing with the state of our roster but I’m going to try and not read too much into it … day one of the practice week has always been a mess.

Just seems like so much hesitation to make actual different making moves. For example, I appreciate that we brought back Smith now that he’s healthy but Mitchell should’ve been gone at the same time. I think Fayad will be good too but seems foolish to bring just him in.