Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

Probably my favorite non Bomber Qb,total class act. Great CFL Qb. Opps wrong reply lol...Ricky Ray was who was referred to in the before post.😉

Yea trade Collaros,sell the farm! Ditch it all and head for the hills. If we don’t lose our heads what else can we do? It's PANIC time people!

Yeah as much as I hated seeing him kill the Bombers over the years, Ray was a class act through and through 

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

watching Ricky Ray complete 86/88 for 200 yards to their RBs. 

"Run the play until they prove they can stop it...". 

That, to me, was one of the strangest seasons ever. A complete playoff miss would have been easier to stomach. 

I'll never forget Knuckles' doomsday tone, when he announced the Charles Roberts trade. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Vs backing up a guy for a couple months?  Trying to imply that ray developed qbs under him and that played with guys under him later is soo silly. 

Genuinely confused here.

23 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

Would be a nice boost to the Dline rotation to have Garbutt back.

WJ, Woods, Adams, Garbutt would make a big difference in our ability to pressure.  Will they get the chance?

The elephant in the room is doesn’t really matter if Jake Thomas is getting prime Doug Brown reps, I was actually watching him in particular on Saturday and it was pathetic. He was getting absolutely man handled. Makes the jobs of the three other guys beside him that much difficult when he can’t hold his own in there. 

7 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

The elephant in the room is doesn’t really matter if Jake Thomas is getting prime Doug Brown reps, I was actually watching him in particular on Saturday and it was pathetic. He was getting absolutely man handled. Makes the jobs of the three other guys beside him that much difficult when he can’t hold his own in there. 

I was doing the same.  Their interior OL had his number all night. He got to plays after the fact, only because they had disengaged. 

8 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Watching Bomber games has become a forenzic exercise these days.  Crazy how the weakest parts of the lines and secondary are all our vets in the middle.  Jake is in there nearly all game long, every game.  Good thing Maier didn’t know what to do with all that time or it would have been a massacre last week.

Biggie makes a few plays here and there but also gets washed out way too easily by o-linemen.

BA is a disaster in the secondary… can’t keep up physically especially can’t help over the top.

On the other side we watched Kola repeatedly killed game in and game out.  Him vs. a 348lb dt in Coatney was almost comical if it wasn’t so embarrassing.  Meanwhile Tui Eli is watching the carnage and asking himself why he signed for three years of this garbage.

Now this week we’ll also get a dose of “Zach doesn’t need reps, he’s good to go”.   No kidding why would he need reps with a bunch of new receivers he refuses to throw to anyway lol.

23 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I entirely agree. 

I don’t know if he is or isn’t. He has never been a polished wr. Bc didn’t do a good job of working him into that role and developing him. If he’s healthy, I’d be fine to have him on the pr for a week to see how he is. If he’s still a threat with the ball in his hands he’d be an upgrade imo. If not, cut em loose. 

I’d bet against it. I’d be after him, but I don’t think he will be available. And I think some one will offer him cap crippling money. 

650k plus bonuses? I have a feeling hed come back to be a starter rather than holding a clip board. Hes already bounced around, I could see him looking back st the CFL.

14 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

MCI has been moved to the game roster and Bridges goes to the practice roster.

Maybe move Feltmate or whatever his name is to.PR as he useless...and keep a guy like Bridges on...there a thought 

6 hours ago, Mike said:

We owe Collaros 250k guaranteed next year, I can’t see us being in the market for a QB like Rourke with that bill hanging over our heads 

Are you sure? CFL contracts have never been guaranteed. If we cut Zach lose then we don't owe him anything. There is a date where if a vet is kept then his contract is guaranteed for that season only. Or at least, it used to be that way. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I was doing the same.  Their interior OL had his number all night. He got to plays after the fact, only because they had disengaged. 

Go watch the sequence when cgy gambled on 3rd and 3...ran the ball for first down...and how Thomas was a non factor...then the next snap where woods busted in for a 2 yard tackle for a loss...focus on Thomas if u want a good laugh...and a puke...could barely come out of his stance...and when he did.. stood there..and did nothing...let that soak in...was pathetic and he just kept got marched put there for more uselesness

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Maybe move Feltmate or whatever his name is to.PR as he useless...and keep a guy like Bridges on...there a thought 

Going to be a Cdn coming on for Murphy who is hurt. Bridges off means an American coming on, if injury maybe Garbutt? Would think they’ll need another receiver on since we lose at least one per game to injury 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Are you sure? CFL contracts have never been guaranteed. If we cut Zach lose then we don't owe him anything. There is a date where if a vet is kept then his contract is guaranteed for that season only. Or at least, it used to be that way. 

No...they started guaranteeing last yr..especially on longer deals...Zack is gauranteed

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I’m very sure. It was very public information that when Zach signed his three year deal, they included 250k guaranteed in the third year since they were permitted to do so based on new CBA language.

Showing my "experience" but not my age (ha ha). In 1971, the Argos finished first in the East with a record of 10-4. Lost the GC to the Calgary Stampeders on a Leon McQuay fumble in the rain during the last couple of minutes at Empire Stadium in Vancouver. 

The next season, they finished dead last in their conference with a record of 3-11. Injuries & age were the downfall of the Argos after a 4 season run in the East. They had some big ones. LIke Joe Theismann out for an extended period with a broken ankle. Canadian receiver Mike Eben got hurt. I believe Leon McQuay missed significant time with an injury. QB Greg Barton walking out on the team after a dispute with Cahill. Not a lot of info about the Argo's 1972 season but it was a difficult one wwith paralells to what we're going thru now.

The team also aged out. HC Leo Cahill also was loyal to his veterans to a fault & the core of the team had been together since 1967. Combine injuries & age this is what you get as a result.... The Argos of 1972 & the Bombers of 2024. The one difference is that Leo was fired at the end of the 1972 season. I don't think if we finish in last place & out of the playoffs that Osh will be fired here. 

Amazing that while the eras may change as well as the game itself there are other things that don't. Like a coach's blind loyalty to his players. Thinking he can squeeze out one more good year from his older players when he no longer can. Whether it's 1972 or 2024. 

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m very sure. It was very public information that when Zach signed his three year deal, they included 250k guaranteed in the third year since they were permitted to do so based on new CBA language.

Yeah, I was unaware of changes in long term contracts. Sorry about that. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27