Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

Tui, must be hurt, he has not been able to go all year so far. He has shown so much potential, it must be a lingering injury keeping him from more than spot duty.

I really like the Lucky signing, he is a very high energy guy, I think we lost a lot of that with Hardrick and Baily moving on in that department. I don't love his full skillset as a receiver, but as Booch mentioned he knows what's going on, and don't underestimate his speed, teams will have it in the back of their heads his reputation.

Fayad, I get it, he looked good, but not great, we need to be better across the d-line, Willy woke up last game, Mair is about as mobile as Joe Biden, so hopefully Willy keeps up the play. 

What happens with the guaranteed portion of Zach's contract if we trade him?  Only a team re-signing a player can offer guaranteed money and only on a 3 year deal if I'm correct. Does his new team inherit the guaranteed portion of the contract or does Winnipeg still have to pay that portion?

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I would like to see Wj...Adams..Woods...Garbutt get lions share in 40 and 30 fronts....Then Use Hubert the most....out of the 3 Canadians...and would have Kept Fayad  and Schmeck...and if he continues to not progress give Samson a go...No need for Thomas really...why waste reps on a guy who has no future past this season, nor any real influence on many plays...let alone the game Thats the best we can put out there in my opinion with what we have available unless we pick someone up

Ideally would be nice to roll out WJ..and  1 or 2 of  Woods..Fox..Adams and Lawson up the gut...depending on the front with Garbutt and Hubert being seasoned, and if roster allowed Fayed (for now) rounding out the group.... 

give us a real versatile DL rotation and at same time eliminate some dead weight...will that happen...nope...not with Osh Oshin'....but if we did...we'd be looking good....then correct that LB group on the fly

We solid with Ford/Bonds/Nichols....Holm I still think is weak and wayyyy better suited as a true free safey back there and I like what Griffen brings and would I think do well at HB...and brings a physicality there we need

I kind of like what I've seen of Hubert so far this season but other than he's Canadian, 24, and out of McMaster, I don't know much about him. Did the Bombers draft him? Is he a rookie?

2 minutes ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

I kind of like what I've seen of Hubert so far this season but other than he's Canadian, 24, and out of McMaster, I don't know much about him. Did the Bombers draft him? Is he a rookie?

Yes, 8th round pick from this year's draft.  He's already done more than players drafted much higher than him so he was a steal for us.

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yes, 8th round pick from this year's draft.  He's already done more than players drafted much higher than him so he was a steal for us.

He’s been noticeably good. As long as the organization can taper expectations. Good rotational player, but let’s hope they don’t ruin him by giving him the Jake Thomas treatment. 

Makes no sense to me that Myron Mitchell is still here.  If nothing else, take a look at another pass rusher.  Mitchell didn't even step on the field aside from kickoff return on Friday.

Ontaria Wilson at least as been building a bit.  If you think Mitchell is better....cut Wilson.  Case, Alston.  Why do we need all these guys if we aren't going to use them?

42 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Makes no sense to me that Myron Mitchell is still here.  If nothing else, take a look at another pass rusher.  Mitchell didn't even step on the field aside from kickoff return on Friday.

Ontaria Wilson at least as been building a bit.  If you think Mitchell is better....cut Wilson.  Case, Alston.  Why do we need all these guys if we aren't going to use them?

Excellent point. Roster management continues to be a 

dfd45b_70e9364f16974bc18489592cd61c754c~

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

So if Garbutt tweaks something this week coming off a long injury what is the plan exactly at defensive end?

Jake Thomas loooool cry 

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

great motor, really smart disciplined guy, does a great job of using his hands to disengage and win some battles on the edge. We’ve been dying for a guy like him since kongbo left. Incredible find. If he can develop a bit he can be a game changing rotational guy. 

I remember Hubert in one of the preseason games standing out for making some good plays and then he seems to make some good plays in regular season... so my question is, how did he wind up being a late round pick? Cause there's gonna be a list as long as my arm of guys drafted before him who don't accomplish nearly as much as he has already shown...

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Bryant will be playing. Bet on it.

Very likely. My concern would be him playing through an injury that severely limits his mobility, and/or causes a further injury that shuts him down for the year or for good. 
 With the status of our ol and team idk how he’d come back next year either. Guys a beast and loyal as it gets though so who knows. 

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

So if Garbutt tweaks something this week coming off a long injury what is the plan exactly at defensive end?

there is none....as usual

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

and yeah...Pointless carrying all those guys, as Lawler will be back sooner than later.....And really there no reason Clericius can't take on the snaps for an import in case of an in game injury...Guy has been getting beter each snap and brings a lot to the run game with his blocking.

We also can use Smith with offensive snaps too....

When Lawler is back, we run Lawler..Demski..Woli...Whitehead and the best out of Johnson/Wilson with Clericius also in the mix...thats not too bad a unit...even better if Wheatfall gets back too...Gives us a nice mix of filed stretchers...50/50  ball guy...some nice big bodied possesion guys and some shifty multi purpose ones....

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

I remember Hubert in one of the preseason games standing out for making some good plays and then he seems to make some good plays in regular season... so my question is, how did he wind up being a late round pick? Cause there's gonna be a list as long as my arm of guys drafted before him who don't accomplish nearly as much as he has already shown...

He was / is a tweener with almost dt size but not quite. And he was underwhelming in basically all tests at the combine. 10 reps 5+ second 40 etc. he played a style of pass rush in college that wasn’t projectable as a pro, speed rushing off the edge. 
 He’s shown to be far smarter and adaptable than expected, guys like that are always valuable. A lot of positions are chess games with the opposition, he’s good at finding ways to win battles and playing with in his tool set. His hand rush and bull rush are good enough to play the edge, and hes a guy who plays faster than he runs. Hes just a damn good football player, not a track athlete type.  

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Deep draft is the only thing I can come up with.  3DN had a write-up on him pre-combine where they (for whatever that's worth) said he was one of the top DL prospects. Ferguson had him as one of his stars of the combine, even though he thought Hubert might not have been pleased with his performance (I guess his testing numbers weren't great but his 12 on 12 reps were good).

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/17/2024-cfl-draft-mcmaster-de-owen-hubert/

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/03/24/marshs-3-stars-who-left-a-good-final-impression/

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Deep draft is the only thing I can come up with.  3DN had a write-up on him pre-combine where they (for whatever that's worth) said he was one of the top DL prospects. Ferguson had him as one of his stars of the combine, even though he thought Hubert might not have been pleased with his performance (I guess his testing numbers weren't great but his 12 on 12 reps were good).

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/17/2024-cfl-draft-mcmaster-de-owen-hubert/

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/03/24/marshs-3-stars-who-left-a-good-final-impression/

Think Ferguson nailed it in that comment. Probably did great in drills, and chalk talk. The draft was deep with high upside guys and guys from us schools, I think we got a sure thing guy and the guys above him were mostly pipe dream lotto tickets. 
 With Samson who can maybe take a step forward next year, Hubert who has been our best Canadian dl, Lawson getting healthy and Schmekel taking a step forward we are in a good spot for nis on dl. When Lawson back I think Hubert will only be behind him in terms of quality.  

55 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Think Ferguson nailed it in that comment. Probably did great in drills, and chalk talk. The draft was deep with high upside guys and guys from us schools, I think we got a sure thing guy and the guys above him were mostly pipe dream lotto tickets. 
 With Samson who can maybe take a step forward next year, Hubert who has been our best Canadian dl, Lawson getting healthy and Schmekel taking a step forward we are in a good spot for nis on dl. When Lawson back I think Hubert will only be behind him in terms of quality.  

Now if only our LB core was close to that........that D be lights out.

Edited by Piggy 1

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

There was a glut of guys in his class of kind of tweener end/DT's.  Otherwise all the DL drafted pretty cleanly fit as rush end or DT bodies.

He fell behind the guys who played NCAA in his class.  Edmonton prefers that for sure.  Montreal took the guy from South Dakota who to me is very similar.