Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I’d love to see Hubert come into camp next year at a lean 270-275 ish and be a guy who can play as much dt as end. 

Canadian Denny Fortney....and yeah...a lean 280 even...be easyto do with his body type and age....could prob increase his speed as well with more lean weight and some speed training

21 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

Now if only our LB core was close that that........that D be lights out.

as bizzare as it may seem...we have been giving up the second fewest points per game in the league...and thats with an injury riddled lineup...some early growing pains with ford....and some piss poor front 7 personell and usage.....we dial that in and get anything at all above average from the offence...the ship can be righted fairly easily on the fly this yr, and hopefully next yr is just some tweaks and a few free agent adds ...as opposed to wholesale overhaul from a bunch of dead wood.....gotta make some those transitions here now in the 2nd 3rd of the season to align nicely with the guys we will have back from injury

Edited by Booch

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Makes no sense to me that Myron Mitchell is still here.  If nothing else, take a look at another pass rusher.  Mitchell didn't even step on the field aside from kickoff return on Friday.

Ontaria Wilson at least as been building a bit.  If you think Mitchell is better....cut Wilson.  Case, Alston.  Why do we need all these guys if we aren't going to use them?

Could be Zach got in Buck's ear about bringing in a vet. receiver to work with after they already brought Alston and Case back, could explain the delay getting Lucky signed and might be the reason Walters didn't go that route as soon as Schoen went down.  From his demeanor I think Zach is probably difficult to handle when he's stressed out.

38 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Could be Zach got in Buck's ear about bringing in a vet. receiver to work with after they already brought Alston and Case back, could explain the delay getting Lucky signed and might be the reason Walters didn't go that route as soon as Schoen went down.  From his demeanor I think Zach is probably difficult to handle when he's stressed out.

The delay with Lucky was a passport issue. 

I don't think there is any "getting in Bucks ear" because they basically do things as a group. Zach is essentially a coach in this team. And if I remember right, they've talked about how all the QBs work together with Buck to come up with new plays and work on the playbook for each week. 

There's no real conspiracy afoot here.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

The delay with Lucky was a passport issue. 

I don't think there is any "getting in Bucks ear" because they basically do things as a group. Zach is essentially a coach in this team. And if I remember right, they've talked about how all the QBs work together with Buck to come up with new plays and work on the playbook for each week. 

There's no real conspiracy afoot here.

Sounds like Noeller is in on it! He can no longer be trusted...

14 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I hear they offered him a gift card from the Bomber store. Oh and hotdogs of course.

Free clothing and food for media members.... A never ending love affair.

18 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I don’t think anyone on here is foolish enough to believe they could have kept Zach and Dru.
Those of us in the Keep Brown camp wanted them to trade Collaros and his albatross contract in the off-season (when teams still would have bit) and let Brown continue to develop as a 1A with Strev. I still feel like that would have been the most sound big picture decision. 

That never would have worked. Management & coaches felt Brown wasn't ready to take over from Collaros. From what I've seen this season from him they weren't wrong. Why would O'Shea give up on a proven veteran like Collaros for an unproven Dru Brown with just 6 starts to his credit? That was never going to be in the plans except for a few posters here. The way our offense is playing, Brown would have been no more successful than Collaros. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That never would have worked. Management & coaches felt Brown wasn't ready to take over from Collaros. From what I've seen this season from him they weren't wrong. Why would O'Shea give up on a proven veteran like Collaros for an unproven Dru Brown with just 6 starts to his credit? That was never going to be in the plans except for a few posters here. The way our offense is playing, Brown would have been no more successful than Collaros. 

“Why is Milanovich starting a 36 year old QB over 25 year old in Taylor Powell? The guy showed promise last season but needs to play in order to develop.”

You said this in the other thread, but you thought the Bombers made the right choice by keeping Collaros over Brown?

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952zkogjeuso2yq4z9ckaj

Some bomber related updates from PFF from our win vs Ottawa

Tyrell Ford – DB | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 75.6 defensive grade

Tyrell Ford is the second highest ranked defensive back in the CFL after five weeks, showcasing his top-end ability to play the position.

He was once again a pivotal piece for the Blue Bombers defence in Week 5, allowing only one first down in passes thrown in his direction. Pivots have started avoiding Ford as of lately, the highest compliment a defensive back can get.

Brady Oliveira – RB | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 83.6 offensive grade

Winnipeg finally found a way to get into the win column and a lot of it has to do with their star running back.

Oliveira had the highest receiving grade (90.7), third highest offensive grade (83.6) on his way to 129 rushing yards over 23 carries.

Edited by Colin Unger

I was rough on Ford after his first game and preseason, but he is rounding into a nice fit. We actually again have put together a pretty darn good secondary. 

I think once all the dust settles, we may actually have a pretty decent D-line, if we get some better play from our LB's we could have a really strong defence going into the second half of the season.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I agree with this one in part. Dru Brown was far from a sure bet as a starter. It can't be argued that his play in Ottawa this year has been a step down from his play in Winnipeg last season. He looks to me like a Kevin Glenn in a best case scenario and Dru Tate in a worst case scenario.

However to the point about how he would look just as bad as Zach in this offence. Well we would probably have surrounded him with better players. The point of it was to save money and get good value for Zach. Potentially, we could have traded him for a top notch younger Canadain offensive lineman, re-signed Hardrick and Bailey. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

As of right now, Zac is still our best chance at turning this around. Whether we would have kept Brown, or if were to turn to Strev as our starter....Zac is our best chance. Decisions may need to made after this season or next, but for this year neither Brown or Strev are better options. An argument could be made about starting a transition for the future with Strev...but it would come with the growing pains and losses that such a decision would inevitably yield. Perhaps, if we cannot get back on our horse that's what we do, but for right now we gotta roll with Zac.

50 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

As of right now, Zac is still our best chance at turning this around. Whether we would have kept Brown, or if were to turn to Strev as our starter....Zac is our best chance. Decisions may need to made after this season or next, but for this year neither Brown or Strev are better options. An argument could be made about starting a transition for the future with Strev...but it would come with the growing pains and losses that such a decision would inevitably yield. Perhaps, if we cannot get back on our horse that's what we do, but for right now we gotta roll with Zac.

I understand what you’re saying, but not transitioning for the future has also come with pains and losses.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Are we really sure about that?

Zach is one of the vets who is cooked. He’s amongst a handful who should have been purged this off season. It would shock me if we won a game with Zach starting at QB. 

The more likely scenario for Zach is he’s gonna get 6 gamed like  T Harris. 

Edited by Goalie

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Are we really sure about that?

Yes, at least imo.

46 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

I understand what you’re saying, but not transitioning for the future has also come with pains and losses.

Certainly, and that is why I could see it happening. It will be a choice of success now or success down the road long term. It is a tough choice.

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Zach is one of the vets who is cooked. He’s amongst a handful who should have been purged this off season. It would shock me if we won a game with Zach starting at QB. 

The more likely scenario for Zach is he’s gonna get 6 gamed like  T Harris. 

Zach is not cooked. He has been getting creamed and has been subject to playing behind an OL that is having growing pains from all the transition this year. I don't think there is a QB in this league that excels with our OL through the first few games.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah collaros doesn't have the escapability to deal with the crappy OL play. With Streveler being a threat to take off and run and actually get away it makes life easy on the rest of the offense.

I agree. However, we NEED good OL play or Strev will end up looking like dog poo as well. Strev making our OL look better is not a good solution either.

Just now, Sard said:

Just watch Collaros come back angry after having to take a game off and just light it up like he did last year after being taken out of that Edmonton game.

He will need a good game by the OL and he most certainly could do just that.

Let’s review shall we?

- Early 2024 Bombers sign but also lose some key FA’s (the losses impact might be debatable).

- Bombers look to replace loses in TC.

- Some key injuries to starters, particularly on the D line and receiving core (but also starting RB and replacement return guy)through training camp and early in the season (making some of the major FA signings moot).

-Not surprisingly, Bombers struggle early on but still manage to stay in most games losing three by less than a touchdown or so.

-Bombers lose starting QB and win in back up’s second game (first start) 

-Starter returns as well as an additions (like Lucky eventually).

- As mentioned by another post, Bombers D doing pretty well in points against (considering)

- We are here

So looking realistically, is this as totally unexpected as many are making out?

Thoughts?

Edited by IC Khari

7 minutes ago, Sard said:

Just watch Collaros come back angry after having to take a game off and just light it up like he did last year after being taken out of that Edmonton game.

Seems like the O-Line is gelling a bit more now and doing what it takes to protect the QB for the extra second. I can see Collaros having a good game this Friday. If he doesn't then I'm on the Collaros Is Cooked bandwagon.

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah collaros doesn't have the escapability to deal with the crappy OL play. With Streveler being a threat to take off and run and actually get away it makes life easy on the rest of the offense.

Strev. might win the occasional game now and then but he's never going to develop into one of the better QB's in the league, so why waste time investing the future in him if he'll just come up short in the end?  Keep looking.

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Strev. might win the occasional game now and then but he's never going to develop into one of the better QB's in the league, so why waste time investing the future in him if he'll just come up short in the end?  Keep looking.

Collaros is 36 and the oldest starter in the league?  There’s no future or upside with Collaros. Crap on Streveler but he’s got our only passing TD in like 6 game now. 

Strev can’t pass ppl say. Collaros has 55 yards passing at half time. 

What has Zach done besides **** the bed when games matter the most the past 2 seasons to earn this faith that ppl have in him. He ain’t getting younger. He ain’t becoming a better passer. He’s not gonna all of a sudden find the ability to actually run. 

Edited by Goalie

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

People have been telling me that Cody Fajardo is playing like one of the best qbs in the league.... well Chris Streveler had many times the passing pedigree and talent that fajardo does and you're saying he can't develop into one of the better qbs? **** off with that noise. 

Sure he's not going to be a calvillo or Ray who controls the game from the pocket but that doesn't mean he's some shitty qb.

I just want 1 person to tell me what has Zach done the past 2 seasons now to make you think he’s actually our best chance. Immobile statue who stares receivers down gonna make it worse. Zach wasn’t even ours best chance to win last year. Brady was. 

he’s cooked like a goose. A Christmas goose. 

Edited by Goalie