Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

316 for 481 for 4134 yards 32 TD passing..8 ints isnt a run heavy wildcat offense...not sure where you get that idea from....thats his senior yr stats...he also rolled up 720 yards on the ground as well...avareaged 13.1 yards per pass as well

Wake me up when he has any passing success even remotely close professionally and consistently. Six years in and still waiting. I seriously hope im wrong about it but i just dont see it in him.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Why isn't he?

What recognizable QB skills does he actually possess and which established role model is he following? He's not a very good passer and has questionable accuracy, he doesn't seem to read defences all that well and the only way he beat a rudderless RB's team was by  sacrificing himself and Brady on the alter of pain.  It's unsustainable, how long would that last with diminishing returns from mounting wear week to week? 

4 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Wake me up when he has any passing success even remotely close professionally and consistently. Six years in and still waiting. I seriously hope im wrong about it but i just dont see it in him.

I'd rank Strev. the equivalent of Crum, sometimes either can win games if the other team fails to respond appropriately.

6 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

What recognizable QB skills does he actually possess and which established role model is he following? He's not a very good passer and has questionable accuracy, he doesn't seem to read defences all that well and the only way he beat a rudderless RB's team was by  sacrificing himself and Brady on the alter of pain.  It's unsustainable, how long would that last with diminishing returns from mounting wear week to week? 

I'd rank Strev. the equivalent of Crum, sometimes either can win games if the other team fails to respond appropriately.

Based on the body of work i wouldn't disagree. I would rate Streveler has the better overall runner.  Basically he can do everything Crum can as a runner but with a much stronger body. Crum to this point has demonstrated superior passing. 

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Unless Streveler and Oliveira can somehow continue to be successful running the ball 40+ times a game, the Bombers will never have consistent success with Streveler as the fulltime QB. When he is forced to throw consistently from the pocket he is a below average QB.

Just like Zach the last year plus now so better to stick with the 36 year old immobile QB for sure.  That’s gonna work out for sure. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Just like Zach the last year plus now so better to stick with the 36 year old immobile QB for sure.  That’s gonna work out for sure. 

I agree, Zach looks cooked at this point. No idea what our QB answer is moving forward, but its not Streveler.

Four games in (didn't play last game) plus lasts year GC, I still have hope ZC trends upward in some capacity (not even thinking next year) but that hope is obviously taking a hit in the 'what have you done for me lately' culture of professional football.

I don't think you can accurately judge Streveler as the complete quarterback, UNTIL he has the full complement of receivers to work with, that this team when it's healthy can put forth....Lawler, Wheatfall and also Lucky in the lineup will certainly give him a lot of  added options, besides the running ability he possesses and that's when you can properly assess him since his return

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

One of Streveler's best highlights is his senior year @Sam Houston State #8 ranked team.  Blitz coming, he stands in and throws a fade from the 45 yard line on target to Kody Case in stride right at the goal-line.  Case didn't even have to adjust to the ball just right to his hands just past the coverage.

Blind squirrel, yadda, yadda. I mean Jamarcus Russell made some nice throws now and again too.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

24 / 37 for 277 yards and 5 TD -  1 int playing with the Jets against vastly superior talent that is in the CFL isn't enough proof?    

Me thinks people have tunnel vision and are focusing on when LaPo had him running the gadget plays.   

The only thing this season that Strev needs to work on is his touch and placement on his short dump off passes.  

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I know a lot of people on here are high on Streveler, and i love the guy, but he is not a fulltime CFL/NFL quarterback. He's a tier 2 college run-heavy/Wildcat offense QB.

Except not. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

316 for 481 for 4134 yards 32 TD passing..8 ints isnt a run heavy wildcat offense...not sure where you get that idea from....thats his senior yr stats...he also rolled up 720 yards on the ground as well...avareaged 13.1 yards per pass as well

People are brain washed by plops usage. 

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

What is he missing? We've seen him pass in all sorts of situations,  We've seen him make reads... yeah he hasn't had much time but seriously we're trashing him for his passing stats last week? You seen the way the OL and receivers are playing right now? Collaros looks much worse in the same situation,  or can collaros not pass either?

Edited by 17to85

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

24 / 37 for 277 yards and 5 TD -  1 int playing with the Jets against vastly superior talent that is in the CFL isn't enough proof?    

Me thinks people have tunnel vision and are focusing on when LaPo had him running the gadget plays.   

The only thing this season that Strev needs to work on is his touch and placement on his short dump off passes.  

Robert Saleh dubbed “one of the greatest preseasons in the history of football,” 

That was against primarily third stringers late in meaningless preseason games. And yet he still couldnt stick with the terrible Jets. That doesnt tell you something?

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Nailed it. 

Like seriously I watched the calgary game again... Johnson ****** him over 3 separate times on passes. 2 he over ran the zone, if he had say down easy completions and another the ball hit him in the face. But shitty passing and reading a D right? Our rookie receivers are  not getting the job done.

46 minutes ago, Brandon said:

As someone who’s a big fan of Streveler let’s not use the term “vastly superior” majority of the players were third and fourth string players who were cut later, it’s disingenuous, the talent level was probably even at best. 

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Blind squirrel, yadda, yadda. I mean Jamarcus Russell made some nice throws now and again too.

Streveler made more nice throws in his first 2 starts as a Bomber than Jamarcus Russell made in his whole career. 

His second pro game for example 22/28-256-3-0

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

10 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I agree with this one in part. Dru Brown was far from a sure bet as a starter. It can't be argued that his play in Ottawa this year has been a step down from his play in Winnipeg last season. He looks to me like a Kevin Glenn in a best case scenario and Dru Tate in a worst case scenario.

However to the point about how he would look just as bad as Zach in this offence. Well we would probably have surrounded him with better players. The point of it was to save money and get good value for Zach. Potentially, we could have traded him for a top notch younger Canadain offensive lineman, re-signed Hardrick and Bailey. 

If I was GM, I'd have let Brady walk & sign two capable American backs.  One as a starter & another as a backup. The money saved may have given us a little flexibility on the salary cap. We may have been able to sign a FA Offensive or Defensive Lineman. 

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If I was GM, I'd have let Brady walk & sign two capable American backs.  One as a starter & another as a backup. The money saved may have given us a little flexibility on the salary cap. We may have been able to sign a FA Offensive or Defensive Lineman. 

This.

I’ve been beating that drum since free agency.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Brady and have always believed we need to do more to sign and retain local talent (it helps create connections to the team) but spending what we do, at that position, it doesn’t make sense.  I’m not saying we don’t have few other “legacy contracts” that hamper us from a cap perspective but blowing your wad on a running back isn’t the best use of cap space.

24 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

How many can we win with collaros getting smoked in the pocket?

40 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How many games can we win playing the style of football we did against Ottawa? Maybe another game or two. 

Thing is we don't need to play the way we did with Strev as only way to win. We need to have Buck tailor the scheme to him and let him grow as a passer...dude can pass, and would have had better numbers last game if not for some brain farts by 3 raw receievers, as well as some penalties negating s few plays.

There not a lot of QB's up here who thrive as a pocket passer....not even ZC now...as when any pressure...or threat of it happens...he basically screwed now.

There are lots of guys tho who would...and do thrive with moving launch point..roll outs and sprints....and Strev would most certainly thrive with that....especially when you have him roll out to the edge,,,It will become a pick your poison scenario then and defense's will get gouged.

It's all in Buck and Osh's hands on how to morph things, and allow us to be sucessful, and that means with the right personell.

This style of offense also makes a weaker line look way better...much like teams that used to use the veer....was a ways to odff-set a poor line...we dont have a poor line, but with a system where you wanna move the pocket and launch points and have oline guys sliding and switching blocks....You definately need to pooch Kolo right outta there....he can't as it is pick up moving parts and any defender that causes him to have to make a decision, or realize when to dis-engage off a tandem block he's so useless...will say it agin that center is a spot that is really hampering the line in general, and why Osh cant drop this loyalty to certain guys isn't helping

Lawler I expect back within 3 weeks max...and with him and Lucky added to things...and some scheming to focus on what we have and what we can be succesful with...I can see a major turn around...now the fly in the ointment is how long do we keep expecting ZC to turn it around?....If he looks much the same again this week...and we look just useless on offence....they need to sit him down...plain and simple.

Even if he does look half way decent, we still need to do a lot of Strev series...that he isn't just a gimmick...but running an offence tailored to what he can do...and the issues he can cause