Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If I was GM, I'd have let Brady walk & sign two capable American backs.  One as a starter & another as a backup. The money saved may have given us a little flexibility on the salary cap. We may have been able to sign a FA Offensive or Defensive Lineman. 

I love Brady, and what he does in terms of marketing and off the field stuff. I’d hate to lose him. But it you are comparing a defensive player of the year type to a rb in terms of money, I’ll take the defensive guy every day. 
 I’d a sat down with Brady and been 100% with him. I’d give him all the off cap money possible like the appearance thing n junk, but I wouldn’t pay that much for a rb. 
 Part of the problem is the amount we are paying the combination of Brady, Augustine, mci and feltmate is insane. Not to mention 4 roster spots. Especially when our di kr is a natural rb. 
 If mci isn’t ready to be a fb/back up runner Ned contribute on kick cover keep him on the pr, let woli and clercius fill the role. We could’ve kept rosery, used clercius in blocking situations and gone di kr/rb for the back up rb and saved probably 85% of Brady’s salary. 
 Especially with us carrying 7 ol. 

Edited by wbbfan

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd look at getting rid of some of our legacy contracts (Bighill, Wilson, Alexander, Thomas) and overpays like Kramdi at $139,000 before getting rid of Brady who is our best player on offense and who is great in the community.

We have a lot of fat to cut in terms of sms 

How in the actual **** can you watch what Brady did all last season, and then what he did against Ottawa last week, and say "ehhh he's not that important..." ?? 

I get that it's a big contract but he was our entire offense last year, and last week, finally somewhat healthy, proved he can still be. 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

How in the actual **** can you watch what Brady did all last season, and then what he did against Ottawa last week, and say "ehhh he's not that important..." ?? 

I get that it's a big contract but he was our entire offense last year, and last week, finally somewhat healthy, proved he can still be. 

The difference between a dominant rb and a dominant pass rusher, Sam or S is gigantic. Rbs also don’t have a long shelf life, especially physical runners like Brady. Ryquell Armstead could do a lot of what Brady did last year for Pennies on the dollar. Mills, brown lots of guys would. 
 Like I said it isn’t our biggest waste or even close to it, but it’s a hard cap hit to make work. We have a lot of those currently. And half of em are under performing. 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Thing is we don't need to play the way we did with Strev as only way to win. We need to have Buck tailor the scheme to him and let him grow as a passer...dude can pass, and would have had better numbers last game if not for some brain farts by 3 raw receievers, as well as some penalties negating s few plays.

There not a lot of QB's up here who thrive as a pocket passer....not even ZC now...as when any pressure...or threat of it happens...he basically screwed now.

There are lots of guys tho who would...and do thrive with moving launch point..roll outs and sprints....and Strev would most certainly thrive with that....especially when you have him roll out to the edge,,,It will become a pick your poison scenario then and defense's will get gouged.

It's all in Buck and Osh's hands on how to morph things, and allow us to be sucessful, and that means with the right personell.

This style of offense also makes a weaker line look way better...much like teams that used to use the veer....was a ways to odff-set a poor line...we dont have a poor line, but with a system where you wanna move the pocket and launch points and have oline guys sliding and switching blocks....You definately need to pooch Kolo right outta there....he can't as it is pick up moving parts and any defender that causes him to have to make a decision, or realize when to dis-engage off a tandem block he's so useless...will say it agin that center is a spot that is really hampering the line in general, and why Osh cant drop this loyalty to certain guys isn't helping

Lawler I expect back within 3 weeks max...and with him and Lucky added to things...and some scheming to focus on what we have and what we can be succesful with...I can see a major turn around...now the fly in the ointment is how long do we keep expecting ZC to turn it around?....If he looks much the same again this week...and we look just useless on offence....they need to sit him down...plain and simple.

Even if he does look half way decent, we still need to do a lot of Strev series...that he isn't just a gimmick...but running an offence tailored to what he can do...and the issues he can cause

Without a decent Offensive Line, no qb will flourish.  I don't care who is playing.  Both Walters & Osh have allowed the OL to regress. This problem is on them.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The difference between a dominant rb and a dominant pass rusher, Sam or S is gigantic. Rbs also don’t have a long shelf life, especially physical runners like Brady. Ryquell Armstead could do a lot of what Brady did last year for Pennies on the dollar. Mills, brown lots of guys would. 
 Like I said it isn’t our biggest waste or even close to it, but it’s a hard cap hit to make work. We have a lot of those currently. And half of em are under performing. 

No American back makes the kind of money Brady makes. Stanbeck in BC, Armstead in Montreal, Dedrick Mills & Peyton Logan in Calgary, Ka'Deem Carey in Toronto all make less than Brady.... much less. When you go Canadian at the RB position, it's more expensive. than going American. Sorry to say but he'd be the first guy I'd look at replacing if I was GM. And have discussions with Osh about flipping the position. The backup position with Augustine is also more expensive. It goes hand in hand. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No American back makes the kind of money Brady makes. Stanbeck in BC, Armstead in Montreal, Dedrick Mills & Peyton Logan in Calgary, Ka'Deem Carey in Toronto all make less than Brady.... much less. When you go Canadian at the RB position, it's more expensive. than going American. Sorry to say but he'd be the first guy I'd look at replacing if I was GM. And have discussions with Osh about flipping the position. The backup position with Augustine is also more expensive. It goes hand in hand. 

If you're talking about signing two guys to replace Brady. You're not saving that much. On top of that you'll see production drop unless you find a gem of an American. Which sounds easy, but there are 8 other teams and maybe 1 is at Bradys level right now.

Either way, replacing a home town star is not the 1st place I'd look by a long shot. Qb, Wr, DL, LB and secondary all have contracts that aren't paying off.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

This past offseason, what top Canadian was available to switch the ratio had they decided to move on from Brady? 

Didn't Osh play an extra Canadian most of last season? For some unknown reason? Patriotism? Stubborness? 

58 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

If you're talking about signing two guys to replace Brady. You're not saving that much. On top of that you'll see production drop unless you find a gem of an American. Which sounds easy, but there are 8 other teams and maybe 1 is at Bradys level right now.

Either way, replacing a home town star is not the 1st place I'd look by a long shot. Qb, Wr, DL, LB and secondary all have contracts that aren't paying off.

You're right about looking at other contracts first. I still think however that Walters should stick to the basic "rules" of contracts in pro football - never overpay a RB; never overpay an aging vet on the decline out of loyalty. And don't let a coach dictate the roster. Consecutive Grey Cup losses should have proven that. Close scores doesn't matter - Bombers were favoured and lost both. Should have been a wake up call that something needed to change. 

Id rather have Brady at what we are paying him then Ouellette at what he's getting paid. For our style of offence Brady is the exact kind of back we need. Its no surprise that the first time we really got him going this season was the first game we won. Beyond his abilities, his passport, and marketing benefits he's also a leader on the field and helps to establish a certain attitude and way of playing that helps us to win games.

There are some other runningbacks in the league that are decent but nobody quite like BO IMO and there's no guarantee we're going to be able recruit anybody on his level when you look at the whole package he brings to the table.

Right now I view him as the one player next to maybe Zack who's play can single handedly turn this season around. And Zach probably needs Brady Ball to be firing on all cylinders in order to be successful under these conditions. 

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Id rather have Brady at what we are paying him then Ouellette at what he's getting paid. For our style of offence Brady is the exact kind of back we need. Its no surprise that the first time we really got him going this season was the first game we won. Beyond his abilities, his passport, and marketing benefits he's also a leader on the field and helps to establish a certain attitude and way of playing that helps us to win games.

There are some other runningbacks in the league that are decent but nobody quite like BO IMO and there's no guarantee we're going to be able recruit anybody on his level when you look at the whole package he brings to the table.

Right now I view him as the one player next to maybe Zack who's play can single handedly turn this season around. And Zach probably needs Brady Ball to be firing on all cylinders in order to be successful under these conditions. 

Bolded part 100% 

4 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Didn't Osh play an extra Canadian most of last season? For some unknown reason? Patriotism? Stubborness? 

We end up playing extra Canadians because we have our Canadian positions where we have dedicated to drafting depth behind the starters and then we have several Canadians at other positions who are our best player or close enough to our best player at those positions.  I don't favor this strategy  but i do believe this is the rationale for what we're seeing.  The thinking is that if you're going to start an extra american on the offensive line right now then you're not developing a Canadian at a position that we have committed to being Canadian and you risk a situation where injuries can dictate during a game that you actually have to bench an American starter mid game if your non-canadian position Canadian starters get injured. Again i believe this is the thinking but personally when you have some Canadians that are so weak as Thomas and all of our Canadians on the offensive line this strategy doesn't pass a cost to benefit analysis. 

6 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

You're right about looking at other contracts first. I still think however that Walters should stick to the basic "rules" of contracts in pro football - never overpay a RB; never overpay an aging vet on the decline out of loyalty. And don't let a coach dictate the roster. Consecutive Grey Cup losses should have proven that. Close scores doesn't matter - Bombers were favoured and lost both. Should have been a wake up call that something needed to change. 

There are always exceptions to the rules though. Brady is one of them. This teams success has mostly been dictated by how well they run the ball. Look back at those grey cups as see how well our RBs were utilized compared to the 2 they won.

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

We end up playing extra Canadians because we have our Canadian positions where we have dedicated to drafting depth behind the starters and then we have several Canadians at other positions who are our best player or close enough to our best player at those positions.  I don't favor this strategy  but i do believe this is the rationale for what we're seeing.  The thinking is that if you're going to start an extra american on the offensive line right now then you're not developing a Canadian at a position that we have committed to being Canadian and you risk a situation where injuries can dictate during a game that you actually have to bench an American starter mid game if your non-canadian position Canadian starters get injured. Again i believe this is the thinking but personally when you have some Canadians that are so weak as Thomas and all of our Canadians on the offensive line this strategy doesn't pass a cost to benefit analysis. 

Great logic from a coach who thinks the DA rule is over complicated…

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Riddle me this:

At which position do you not pay more for a Canadian? 

Qb, wr, dl, lber, db etc highest paid positional players across the board are imp. Canadians have a higher floor and a lower ceiling save for 2-3 guys in the entire league. 

19 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I know a lot of people on here are high on Streveler, and i love the guy, but he is not a fulltime CFL/NFL quarterback. He's a tier 2 college run-heavy/Wildcat offense QB.

A lot of people said that about Allen. People also said that about VA, people said that about Fajardo. Writing a guy off after barely 2 seasons in the league is short sighted. He needs time. I hope it's the Bombers that give it to him.

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Qb, wr, dl, lber, db etc highest paid positional players across the board are imp. Canadians have a higher floor and a lower ceiling save for 2-3 guys in the entire league. 

That's not really an apples to apples comparison though. When you have a star Canadian (especially MOP level star) at any position they will command more $$. If Philpot continues his season you don't think he'll be up there with the highest paid wr? What did Fantuz get? What was Henoc making in his prime? If Betts had stuck around he'd be up there. Point being, star Canadians always come at a premium.

Edited by Bigblue204

24 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I honestly think MOS just thinks those guys are the best at their spots...but assuming youre right, why would they be developing so many positions to be Canadian? They've started at least 1 more Canadian than needed going on 2 years now? Maybe more? The talent pool dictates that developing that many positions isn't likely to turn up positive results.

I know 1-4 has got us questioning things but man how do you live with yourself if you let a 26 year old home grown talent, 2000 all purpose yards,  MOP leave to another team? Especially let’s say for example he went to B.C. our division rival.. we get to watch him for years in his prime run all over us and the CFL. I know a lot of us would be very un happy with that decision. I think because we’ve had nearly a decade of Andrew Harris and Brady Oliveria we take for granted having an outstanding running back who can get you the tough yards, take over a game, and is Canadian to boot. Look at B.C. they’ve been knocking at the door but the lack of a punishing runner when it gets cold has potentially cost them a trip to the grey cup in back to back years. We have many problems to worry about on this team but Brady isn’t one of them. 

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Canadians get paid. The Philpott question is a great one. Demski is at $225,000. Gittens Jr at $215,000. Cotty is about $200,000. Based on those salaries, I'd say Philpott is at $225,000 if not more next year.

Oh I could see it being significantly more if his current play continues. Especially if CGY is in the mix....

31 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Oh I could see it being significantly more if his current play continues. Especially if CGY is in the mix....

I don't see anyone totally blowing their wad but if Demski is at 225... Philpott should easily make 250

37 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Canadians get paid. The Philpott question is a great one. Demski is at $225,000. Gittens Jr at $215,000. Cotty is about $200,000. Based on those salaries, I'd say Philpott is at $225,000 if not more next year.

Can't believe Cottoy gets that kind of money. He must of really cashed in on a decent season last year. I wouldn't be happy with that kind of dead cap. Outside of offensive linemen I'd reserve that kind of money only for Canadians who would remain in the league if somehow their qualification as a Canadian was revoked.  Even Gittens Jr is a bit questionable. Demski is a bargain. 

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I don't see anyone totally blowing their wad but if Demski is at 225... Philpott should easily make 250

If Philpot continues this all season I could see him certainly being offered north of 250k. You could argue making him the highest paid receiver in the league even without his passport. 

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Philpott is going to get paid. I can see about 250, and he’s probably worth it to be honest. 

Edited by Arnold_Palmer