Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

28 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

Think we'd all be doing the happy dance if he started......

I might die of shock tbh 

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I do expect it, especially seeing them both on the injury report today. They'll want to get Garbutt on and probably Hallett too. That means players have to come out.

6 of those guys played last week and finished the game, most have been walking wounded for a while doesn’t mean much. Mci played his best game last week and has been good for two weeks. If he’s healthy enough to go he isn’t coming off. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

If one player we should have walked away from due to injury concerns it's Hallet...

qft. Idk what to expect from Garbutt having been out for 6 weeks either. 

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

Are we really building towards 2025 when we're starting Jake, Bighill, Alexander etc?

Nope.  We could be using this time as a chance to groome someone to take over for 2 of those spots (I'll give them a pass on Jake just due to injuries on the DL).  Even one out of the three would be progress but I haven't seen anything to indicate they're willing to do that.

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Nailed it. 

Add Kolo to that...also due to his outrageous salary Kramdi...you could get at very worst...the exact same production with some impact plays for about 50k a yr less...or even go entry level and save 70k more...which would have gone a long way elsewhere locking down another key player

I don't mind paying premium bucks for a National ...within reason if he is clearly the best player at that spot in the league..we are probably paying top dollars to our SAM and he's probably the worst one in the league...that's just poor cap management and allocation of SMS use 

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Nope.  We could be using this time as a chance to groome someone to take over for 2 of those spots (I'll give them a pass on Jake just due to injuries on the DL).  Even one out of the three would be progress but I haven't seen anything to indicate they're willing to do that.

The fact tho we don't even need a national on the dline tho..makes it even more pointless...let a young up and comer who may have a future get the reps and experience 

Edited by Booch

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Add Kolo to that...also due to his outrageous salary Kramdi...you could get at very worst...the exact same production with some impact plays for about 50k a yr less...or even go entry level and save 70k more...which would have gone a long way elsewhere locking down another key player

I don't mind paying premium bucks for a National ...within reason if he is clearly the best player at that spot...we are probably paying top dollars to our SAM and he's probably the worst one in the league...that's just poor cap management and allocation of SMS use 

Premium pay for premium players at premium positions. When you pay premium cash to a guy who lack that you get in trouble.  
 You can have one or two Canadians you pay a bit more to who are starters, but you can’t do that for all of them. 
 At the end of the day you have to make up for paying super premium deals like qbs, lawler/schoen etc. and the way you do that is with young Canadians. If you get a good imp for a cheap deal they will be expensive or gone fast. Canadian roster filler is the primary place to save money. That’s just the economics of the league. 

We won ships on the back of cheap Canadians like Kongbo, desjarlais, Eli etc. flip that and make those guys expensive and suddenly you price your self out of the market and it’s a struggle just to keep some of your own free agents. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

We do, but we haven’t done much of that soo far. 2025 should be the plan, but I don’t think the mafia work that way. 
 30 for grant is probably our overall average starters age. 

we are at a point where it isn’t even about age, it’s about quality. Our worst players are really old. We can get younger and better at the same time by either going to a better player who wouldn’t be nearly as old or going to a young guy. 

Thomas, biggie, ba, kola, neuf all need to go. Even if they went for an average age of 29 we’d get a lot better and younger. 

keep in mind strevy is 30, lofton is 31, bonds is 28, then we just brought back lucky who is 32. Mainly we’ve gotten younger through rash of injuries. We’ve actually gotten older and some spots like db and qb. 

Don’t expect mci to come out. I doubt ogbevoen will be though he should. 

Average age of our current starters? 28.2 years old.  Two position groups Lber and OL have an avg age of 30 or higher. They have arguably been our two worst this season. However all other position groups and backups have gotten considerably younger this season.

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Average age of our current starters? 28.2 years old.  Two position groups Lber and OL have an avg age of 30 or higher. They have arguably been our two worst this season. However all other position groups and backups have gotten considerably younger this season.

Is that including injuries or the projected starters? 
The guys I listed that we added are all above that age as well. 
 All other position groups? So we are younger at qb and rb? Cus we for sure aren’t. Year older Augustine and Brady, year old zach and brown vs strevy. 
 Making a switch from a guy in his 30s to a guy in his 30s like rt isn’t going younger.  Gray was our youngest full time starting ol last year. 
kramdi is older than Parker at Sam. Ford and bonds are older than guys we ran out last year. 
 If jj could stay healthy he’d still be here. No way has age been a primary motivating factor in our roster changes. 

3 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Transactions from today

Added to roster

Tony Jones

Kody Case

Added to practice roster

Chris Smith

Myron Mitchell

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Hmmmmmmm... Very interesting about Smith. 

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Cody Case over Whitehead?

All of this. Smith was averaging 11 yards per punt return which is very good. His 21 per kick off were kind of average. But he caught the ball and made good decisions. Some times a bit tentative but needed coaching more than any thing imo. 

case is a former part time return hybrid guy. Maybe lucky will come on the roster as well since we removed two offensive guys and they’ll split duties? 
 jones doesn’t make sense when Cole and Ayer’s already aren’t getting a lot of snaps. 

but roster moves that don’t make sense and make the team worse are on brand 

Tony Jones on, I like. If he gets some reps, I think he’s ready to have some kind of impact.

Anything in place of Myron Mitchell is an upgrade. You could put a traffic cone in uniform and it would be equivalent to what he brings.

Kody Case over Chris Smith seems bizarre but … sure, I guess? Why not? I dunno. Whatever.

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

The reality is the struggling vets get all the rope in the world, and the young guys have to work twice as hard and may or maybe not get another chance no matter how well they play. I think it’s absolutely a big mistake to take smith off the active roster.. 

you’re not wrong there and I don’t like that aspect of things at all