Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

To me Clercius is just going to depend on what role he winds up in. He becomes a favored target sky is the limit. Huge dude with solid mitts... that could rack up a lot of yards.

No matter what, like Bailey he's not going to see a lot of balls coming his way, might as well use every snap to punish people for getting in his space.

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

With mci and clericius in the wings we might finally be able to get away from carrying 7 ol. A good lead blocker is way better than an extra 300lbser in a double tight set any way imo. 
Even more pointless while carrying so many ni dl 

I don't believe they need to carry 7 ol anyway... I mean the biggest reason before was to keep Eli and Dobson on the active roster and not lose them... but is it the best use of the roster? I doubt it. 

Yeah thats overkill...and MCI and Clercius are capable in a TE set

If dropping Wallace allows us to bring on Kelley...or any other Canadian that would play teams and be used for more than 3..4 snaps a game then we better off. We list jake as an 8th olineman..well make him the 7th now...and stand there all game for his 3..4 snaps....fixes 2 things with one swift roster move...Gives us another Teamer...and takes him out of the dline equation lol

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I don't believe they need to carry 7 ol anyway... I mean the biggest reason before was to keep Eli and Dobson on the active roster and not lose them... but is it the best use of the roster? I doubt it. 

Oline has always been key to our offensive success, giving players experience is key to succession

Its one position that is less about athleticism and more about technique. Id look moving smeckle to pr first. Especially with rotation of adams, woods, thomas in place 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Yeah thats overkill...and MCI and Clercius are capable in a TE set

If dropping Wallace allows us to bring on Kelley...or any other Canadian that would play teams and be used for more than 3..4 snaps a game then we better off. We list jake as an 8th olineman..well make him the 7th now...and stand there all game for his 3..4 snaps....fixes 2 things with one swift roster move...Gives us another Teamer...and takes him out of the dline equation lol

Honestly I’d keep Wallace. He’s been good in his limited reps and after the pre season I think he has the best upside of all our young ol. Kick kola to the curb, start eli, keep Wallace. Dobson has been improving, albeit not at the rate I’d prefer. 

On Clercius: I don't see him as having an elite CFL ceiling but think he will be a great glue guy and eventual starter in the Rasheed Bailey role. He is stiffer than most and not going to be able to run a dynamic route tree but he is physical and tough and will be a force as a blocker and 400-600 yard receiver each year at some point.

Wallace is going to be a starter, maybe as soon as next year if Patty retires

I think people in this forum, myself included, must be overrating Tui if he still isn't starting over Kolankowski. Tui is clearly the more physically talented player of the two but apparently that isn't everything.

I also think people on here underrate Kola a bit. He is a solid center in the league, nothing more nothing less. I understand why there's frustration because the team doesn't come out and say why Tui isn't starting but they never do anything like that.

48 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

On Clercius: I don't see him as having an elite CFL ceiling but think he will be a great glue guy and eventual starter in the Rasheed Bailey role. He is stiffer than most and not going to be able to run a dynamic route tree but he is physical and tough and will be a force as a blocker and 400-600 yard receiver each year at some point.

I think people in this forum, myself included, must be overrating Tui if he still isn't starting over Kolankowski. Tui is clearly the more physically talented player of the two but apparently that isn't everything.

I also think people on here underrate Kola a bit. He is a solid center in the league, nothing more nothing less. I understand why there's frustration because the team doesn't come out and say why Tui isn't starting but they never do anything like that.

Some people get really pissed off when O'Shea chooses his favourites over their favourites.

1 hour ago, bluedawg said:

What do you base that on? The guy has come in & made some catches as a rookie. Stiffer. what does that even mean? He hasn't really started his CFL career in earnest & yet you sound like you've writen him of. As far as Kola goes, you've done the oposite after a third of the season is done saying how solid he's ben when he hasn't. Have you sen his botched blocking asignments? Watched him get pushed back into the qbs face on a pass rush? Or make mistakes on blocking asignments? He's the worst starting Center in the CFL.

1 hour ago, bluedawg said:

Did we all under rate guys like Hurl and Hecht too? Cause it was the same **** with those types before as well. 

This is a flaw that O'Shea has shown from the beginning here. Sometimes he puts guys in positions because talent isn't everything.... yet the team rises to new, impressive heights when the talent is actually played there. 

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Oline has always been key to our offensive success, giving players experience is key to succession

Its one position that is less about athleticism and more about technique. Id look moving smeckle to pr first. Especially with rotation of adams, woods, thomas in place 

move Thomas to PR or 6 game him...He isnt the future, and Schmeck needs the reps to see if he is the future to back up Lawson...Him or Samson...Having Thomas eating up reps is just blocking the progression and or assessment of the other 2 younger DT's....not letting us even see if they are a option for a succession plan in 2025 and beyond...or if we need to draft/trade for or find a new player

This is where we have failed miserably under Osh the last 3 yrs for any linebacker prospects... DT's...DE's...safety....we just clung to aging and underwhelming "vets" who Osh liked...and look where we at now...no depth in any of those spots...and no idea of who can take over...DT is kind of a spot where we can be really good with 3 of the current imports we have, if we actually used them all for 80% of reps and went away from having to think we need to always have a national on the dline...cause we dont...and we are a lot stronger when we go all import...but Osh gonna Osh can he can and Management is letting him...or so we assume....who rwally knows what the dynamics are there and if their friction...from what I hear and know....it's all not unicorns and rainbows

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Honestly I’d keep Wallace. He’s been good in his limited reps and after the pre season I think he has the best upside of all our young ol. Kick kola to the curb, start eli, keep Wallace. Dobson has been improving, albeit not at the rate I’d prefer. 

yeah...I agree...But I was just thinking of how Oshie would think...and what he would do...sacrifice talent to keep one his boi's on roster...Wallace next to Eli has the most upside of the 3 nationals...I dont include Kolo in that as he is whathe is and has no further upside...and Neuf is what he is as well..I not as critical of him here as others...switch out the center and allow him to only favour one part of the online (tackle side) you would see a huge difference...he didnt have to favour hardricks end before so could compensate for Kolo...Now he has 2 guys he needs to kind of babysit...and well...we see the results

7 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Did we all under rate guys like Hurl and Hecht too? Cause it was the same **** with those types before as well. 

This is a flaw that O'Shea has shown from the beginning here. Sometimes he puts guys in positions because talent isn't everything.... yet the team rises to new, impressive heights when the talent is actually played there. 

was gonna say...this has gone on...all the tenure of Osh...He has his fav's and they play...whether they the best option or not....It's going on still this yr....Kolo...Thomas...Kramdi...BA...Biggie...what other team in the league would Kolo start on..Likely none...and likely be hard pressed to be the 6th olineman...Same with Thomas...He may get rostered but who would playhim 90% of the reps...nobody...Kramdi wouldnt start anywhere else...Biggie...maybe but I bet he would be a role player...not an everydown guy...same with BA...

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Crazy and dangerous to me to go with a guy again who hasn't caught a CFL punt in even a pre-season game.  At least leave Smith on.

Hopefully Case is a stud.  

Not sure why the switch....especially with like mentioned...zero live reps...if anything have both on...and MCI....Why yank him after 2 really solid games and our run game showed from it...unless he is hurt...not sure what always hurt Hallett gives us considering he has played probably 8 snaps in 3 yrs here...when we we losing Osh keeps everything as is...but we won a couple and he switching guys out...Jones and Garbutt are solid and I like...Hopefully Jones isnt just standing on sidelines all game save for ST's tho...

1 minute ago, Booch said:

would have been nice to add him with some return experience if the new guy isnt cutting it...or gets hurt again....and also see what Lucky can offer in Johnson's spot...but that would make too much sense

Yep. Agree that Whitehead should be in.
Anyways, I would think he and Lawler will be in next week against BC. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Somewhere lapo just got excited

Lapo only wants 7 yards on 2nd and 10 and it must entail a 3 yard reception with 4 yards of YAC.

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I think Wallace is definitely in the future starter plans.