Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

49 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Noah Hallett, what's the appeal? Managed to last a long time for a guy whose always injured and hasn't produced much.

He hasn't produced much because he's been injured. I agree that it's kind of crazy he's stuck around for so long. There must be something there. He was touted as the better option at safety over Ni Hallett

38 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Lapo only wants 7 yards on 2nd and 10 and it must entail a 3 yard reception with 4 yards of YAC.

I think Wallace is definitely in the future starter plans.

he definately has that old school late 80's and 90's olineman look to him...

41 minutes ago, Booch said:

he definately has that old school late 80's and 90's olineman look to him...

He looks old school and appears to be a guy that plays old school too. I like it. I hope he continues to develop well.

30 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Only 8 Linebackers? Those are rookie numbers, gotta pump those numbers up! 

I think the lineup looks pretty solid. Now if it used right we might be onto something.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What do you base that on? The guy has come in & made some catches as a rookie. Stiffer. what does that even mean? He hasn't really started his CFL career in earnest & yet you sound like you've writen him of. As far as Kola goes, you've done the oposite after a third of the season is done saying how solid he's ben when he hasn't. Have you sen his botched blocking asignments? Watched him get pushed back into the qbs face on a pass rush? Or make mistakes on blocking asignments? He's the worst starting Center in the CFL.

Watching every game this season and watching the recordings over a second time

Stiffness in the hips, or in other words a lack of flexibility, limits a player's ability to change direction or smoothly contort their body. For a receiver when you are stiff at the hip it hurts your ability to make explosive cuts to separate from defenders or alter body positioning to make catches. Rasheed Bailey was stiff, Clercius is even moreso. Pokey Wilson is the opposite, you see his flexibility in the air and while running routes. Lacking that type of flexibility, which has always been Clercius' biggest knock, will limit his ceiling. He is strong and fast in a straight line so he can do some damage, especially as a Canadian, but I absolutely stand by that he doesn't quite have an all-star ceiling. And no that's not writing him off, just being realistic.

Kola I think is better than Michael Couture was based on what I've seen. And I think evaluating OL play is hard off broadcast I will admit. So not entirely sure how you can so definitively call him the worst starting C.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Yep. Agree that Whitehead should be in.
Anyways, I would think he and Lawler will be in next week against BC. 

If so, the moons are aligning for him to (hopefully) light up his old team with heavy help from Lawler.

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Swapping returners just seems like playing with fire... 

At least Jones and garbutt on is a positive 

Yeah I hope Jones gets some starting reps, he was a bright spot on an ugly D but either way he should be able to make an impact on ST which I have no issues with.

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Swapping returners just seems like playing with fire... 

At least Jones and garbutt on is a positive 

Agree on Jones and Garbutt for sure. Hope Jones gets some reps on D. Grabutt over Lucky O is a huge upgrade. 

I’d bet swapping returners is mainly so that the returner can also be the back up receiver. 

Especially since Chris Smith was practicing at receiver this week.  
Not sure why it isn’t Lucky W though. 

28 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Watching every game this season and watching the recordings over a second time

Stiffness in the hips, or in other words a lack of flexibility, limits a player's ability to change direction or smoothly contort their body. For a receiver when you are stiff at the hip it hurts your ability to make explosive cuts to separate from defenders or alter body positioning to make catches. Rasheed Bailey was stiff, Clercius is even moreso. Pokey Wilson is the opposite, you see his flexibility in the air and while running routes. Lacking that type of flexibility, which has always been Clercius' biggest knock, will limit his ceiling. He is strong and fast in a straight line so he can do some damage, especially as a Canadian, but I absolutely stand by that he doesn't quite have an all-star ceiling. And no that's not writing him off, just being realistic.

Kola I think is better than Michael Couture was based on what I've seen. And I think evaluating OL play is hard off broadcast I will admit. So not entirely sure how you can so definitively call him the worst starting C.

This is where Parker is heads and shoulders above any DB we had last yr...not anmed Nichols and right in line with Bonds this yr....Loose hips and very fluid movement flipping from back to forward and breaking with hardly needing to gear down. Guys just have that natural movement that makes them excell in coverage...and also be able to explode into a hit and close fast..All 3 have that. If you get a chance to go watch a practice and the DB's doing drills focus on that and watch Parker....so good.

Much Like Denmark was as a receiver...he could make moves....cut....adjust routes to the ball in air all in stide and not having to slow up...and also had that ability to do it with a bump up in speed...

Kolo tho...he is weak....he's also undersized but doesn't have the athleticism that you want/need when using an undersized center, which can make them highly effective. He also I don't think consistently makes the right calls....Something Couture excelled at. He was right out of football and nobody wanted him...and at that time some teams had baaaaad olines...reason he was on the street...we were in a pinch and needed some bodies...so we brought him in and then the inkury fairy sprinkled it's dust for him...and now Osh thinks he the cats meow....Why I dont know...he gets confused by pretty much any stunt, or defender flashing in front of him...can't stay engaged on his block very often and a lot of plays are snuffed out, or a qb is pressured by his initial block coming free and ruin the play....gets drove back into the pocket far too often which isnt good with a QB like ZC who rarely leaves it these days, and isnt a mass mover like Eli..Dobson...or Wallace...He's prob I agree the bottom center in the league.

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

This is where Parker is heads and shoulders above any DB we had last yr...not anmed Nichols and right in line with Bonds this yr....Loose hips and very fluid movement flipping from back to forward and breaking with hardly needing to gear down. Guys just have that natural movement that makes them excell in coverage...and also be able to explode into a hit and close fast..All 3 have that. If you get a chance to go watch a practice and the DB's doing drills focus on that and watch Parker....so good.

Agree with you on Parker's movement skills.

Disagree, however, with all the sentiment on here calling him a DIME for us. DIME in our defense has typically been a hybrid safety that is the connecting piece between the DB and LB units. Parker might hit hard enough and be smart enough but he's barely 5-foot-7 on a good day and that's simply not big enough to stay healthy playing so close to the LOS.

I think Parker would be playing CB or HB — I think if he doesn't get hurt in '23 camp he would've started over Holm

Also I do not expect Parker back this season. Torn ACL I thought. Parker, Lawson, Schoen I all do not expect back I think they all have torn ACLs

Just now, bluedawg said:

Agree with you on Parker's movement skills.

Disagree, however, with all the sentiment on here calling him a DIME for us. DIME in our defense has typically been a hybrid safety that is the connecting piece between the DB and LB units. Parker might hit hard enough and be smart enough but he's barely 5-foot-7 on a good day and that's simply not big enough to stay healthy playing so close to the LOS.

I think Parker would be playing CB or HB — I think if he doesn't get hurt in '23 camp he would've started over Holm

Also I do not expect Parker back this season. Torn ACL I thought. Parker, Lawson, Schoen I all do not expect back I think they all have torn ACLs

Yeah I think he would have been starting as well....And I still not sure what his injury even was/is....is it an ACL...if so then yeah its 2025 for him....My belief is Schoen and Haba are done for yr....Lawson I not sure was a knee....see him moving about with no issues really so not sure he had surgery...but could be wrong

10 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/07/18/game-preview-wpg-at-sask/

MCI to the 6 game unfortunately. 

Also kinda crazy that last week was BO’s fire time running for 100+ in consecutive weeks. 

Too bad about MCI.  He had been playing well the last couple weeks.

Nice to see Garbutt in the lineup, as well as Jones…. If he actually gets some D reps.

Not sure why Whitehead isn’t out there this week.

Still don’t like zero changes to the Oline, but I wasn’t expecting any.

Also, am I counting correctly and we still have 11 starting Canadians?

1 hour ago, blue85gold said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/07/18/game-preview-wpg-at-sask/

MCI to the 6 game unfortunately. 

Also kinda crazy that last week was BO’s fire time running for 100+ in consecutive weeks. 

Anyone see MCI get injured?  The injury will surely remain undisclosed, the Bombers seem to slip these guys onto the 6 game in the middle of the night when nobody's watching.

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Maybe voodoochylde can say some chant that makes Kolo, Thomas, Biggie and BA not available next week which will force Osh to start Eli, Schmekel, Jones and another Amer DB in their place. 😁

Woah woah .. you don't want me channeling that sort of juju.

I use my powers for good .. like with the GDT.

1 hour ago, BomberBall. said:

Too bad about MCI.  He had been playing well the last couple weeks.

Nice to see Garbutt in the lineup, as well as Jones…. If he actually gets some D reps.

Not sure why Whitehead isn’t out there this week.

Still don’t like zero changes to the Oline, but I wasn’t expecting any.

Also, am I counting correctly and we still have 11 starting Canadians?

With Lucky we don't know if

hes in game shape or

Has he lost a step, theres a reason he hasnt signed until now

When asked about Lucky when he was signed, O'Sheas response was we'll see once he gets here.

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Pete said:

With Lucky we don't know if

A) hes in game shape

B) Has he lost a step, theres a reaon he hasnt signed until now

When asked about Lucky when he was signed, O'Sheas response was we'll see once he gets here.

If those were questions they had, and I’m sure they were, they should have worked him out before signing him.  If they did that, I’m back to my original question…. I don’t see our playbook being that hard to grasp, so what’s the deal?

he hasnt lost a step at all...and he is in way better shape than some of the other dead weight we dressed to start the season who played no snaps in pre-season...or came off injury...dude is a workout animal

2 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

If those were questions they had, and I’m sure they were, they should have worked him out before signing him.  If they did that, I’m back to my original question…. I don’t see our playbook being that hard to grasp, so what’s the deal?

and exactly this...if the team didnt do their due diligence prior to bringing him in...thats just something else to add to the pile of incompetence and questionable roster moves/decisions