Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

43 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

The problem is here is the team never uses NFL cuts as a chance to upgrade their current roster. The cuts they bring in are getting looked at for the following year.

I'm not convinced that many American starters need to be changed anyways. Outside of Alexander, Wilson, and Bighill who are we really looking at upgrading right now and we probably have at least a couple internal options here already to replace those guys.  Between Garbutt, Fox, Woods, Bryant, and Haba I think we have what we need here already to improve the defensive line. When Wheatfall and Lawler are healthy I think we have the pieces here to have a good receiving core and that doesn't even mention Whitehead who i'm ho humm on. We have two american tackles on the practice roster already who we haven't had a chance to see.  Ect.  NFL cuts are definitely more about next season.  

2 hours ago, BomberBall. said:

I definitely understand the debate about Zach and his play, and whether or not he’s lost ‘it’…. I’m sure we’ve all had those discussions, but what really burns me is the bolded part above.  Our Oline grades out as the worst, and we haven’t made one single change.  I know these rating systems are subjective at best, but we’ve all seen how poor the line has been.  They absolutely fail the eye test, as well as any grading metric you want to use.  Why hasn’t the team tried a different combination or two?  Do they think it’s going well?  It’s 7 weeks in…. We can’t still be waiting for these guys to gel.  Make a move and replace the subpar players…. We all know who needs to go.  Sack up and do it.

I don't disagree with this at all. We should be looking at Tui at center at the very least. 

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

The problem is here is the team never uses NFL cuts as a chance to upgrade their current roster. The cuts they bring in are getting looked at for the following year.

The quality of guys that are "NFL cuts" available between now and the end of the CFL season isn't great.  With the PR expansion down there no one that is anywhere near making a NFL team is running up here for $75,000 CAD pro rated.  By the time NFL cuts happen there's like 6-7 game cheques left even if they went right onto the roster so like less than $30,000 CAD if they get on the roster.

It's also not like Madden where you can add a guy who is a 78 receiver but doesn't know what the **** is going on and expect him to play like a 78 receiver.  I mean even with guys who have obvious talent we're seeing that coming out of a full training camp.

The "bring in NFL cuts" idea for immediate help doesn't really hold water.

41 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The quality of guys that are "NFL cuts" available between now and the end of the CFL season isn't great.  With the PR expansion down there no one that is anywhere near making a NFL team is running up here for $75,000 CAD pro rated.  By the time NFL cuts happen there's like 6-7 game cheques left even if they went right onto the roster so like less than $30,000 CAD if they get on the roster.

It's also not like Madden where you can add a guy who is a 78 receiver but doesn't know what the **** is going on and expect him to play like a 78 receiver.  I mean even with guys who have obvious talent we're seeing that coming out of a full training camp.

This is a great line.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Much respect for collaros being a huge part of the dominant stretch this team had and he's going down in the teams history books.... but he has been complete ass in back to back grey cups and has been on a steady downward trend 2 seasons now. Guy is finished, and at his age with as many city miles as there are on that body I don't expect him to get back to his former glory now matter what situation he's in. He has become too predictable. Too easy for defenses to play against.

It’s a damn shame that what he the mafia ba/biggie/thomas etc did is being un done by a refusal let go. 

48 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Really all depends on what you need and are willing to give in terms of cash and reps. 
 You can find a pass rusher or a tackle box lber corner or rb. The guy who plays the best out of the box isn’t likely to be the best upside guy. More like a habba than the next Jeffcoat. 

You’re right especially about wrs. Most of the guys available aren’t pros yet and haven’t adjust both to the pros and the cfl. Most guys take a year like lawler. NFL pro wrs seldom work out up here in the past few years. You can find guys who are good and capable and ready to produce, but ones who also fit your system and need and can develop as fast relationship with your qb is rare. 

with the madden analogy even if a guy is a 90, it might take him 6-8 games to play like a 90 if he picks it all up fast. Till then he’s a 50 who will put up some big plays. 

6 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The problem is this is what the Mafia sees when they look at the team.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952iay66sd3hb61xxyodql

Nailed it 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly the changes I want to see on D are ones that can likely take the D to pretty dominant heights. Points against are already quite good, fix the front 7 usage and you likely see them add in more big game breaking plays.

exactly....its not a wholesale change...and we have pieces already on roster....just not used....

Folks who say they saw this coming have 20-20 hindsight, but the stats don't agree with them. 

Collaros           2023          2024      

QB Rating        118.8           77.4   

Yards/Game     236              200

Comp %             69               65.3 - Only Dru Brown is worse

YPA                    10.1             8.1 - Kelly was the only QB that was higher in 2023

TD %                   7.8             1.2

Int %                    3.5             4.0

Bold - league leading

Italic - Worst in the league

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Folks who say they saw this coming have 20-20 hindsight, but the stats don't agree with them. 

YPA                    10.1             8.1 - Kelly was the only QB that was higher in 2023

Bold - league leading

Then why were so many of us pointing it out last season already? If you really get belligerent about this I will go dig up old threads to prove it...

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Then why were so many of us pointing it out last season already? If you really get belligerent about this I will go dig up old threads to prove it...

100% Colloros's decline was evident last year. We talked about it extensively. Many of us wanted the Bombers to keep Brown over Collaros. He couldn't throw on target - overthrows, lame duck underthrows, happy feet, panic under pressure - it was like he was slow to process or wasn't willing to take a hit. That was when he had decent pass pro. Dru Brown's throws by contrast were on target and had more zip. Now that some key receivers who bailed him out are injured Zach's deficits are even more on display for all to see. This year is shaping up to be 2017 again for Zach.

34 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Bold - league leading

Stats don’t tell the whole story. Keep in mind zach has been playing at a very similar level since we clinched the west last year. 
 The problems have been amplified, and I for sure didn’t see the wheels falling off this bad. And he was rusty for the first two games or so. 

last year was the most bipolar season of Zachs career, or any I’ve seen in a long time. He was either throwing tds on every drive and destroying teams or tossing pick 6s and going 2n out. 

The fact is, going all in on a qb in his 35th and 36th year seldom works out. The bottom always falls out on old QBs at some point. Betting against Collaros in the off season was smart money. 

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Output Stats don’t summarize performance at qb. Remember when mbt had more yards than zach in a mop year? Is blm the mop right now? 

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Bold - league leading

Now show me the stats for when his decision making became increasingly boneheaded in key moments. Or the stats for how many passes were completed only because we had Lawler or Schoen making ridiculous catches at the cost of their rib cages. Or the stats for how well he performed in cold weather when the most important games were being played.

He was significantly worse after he returned from the injury he had in the Edmonton game. The decision making, the ball security, the accuracy … it was all trending downward. Almost like he was breaking down over the course of the season. 

Stats never tell the whole story. Are you suggesting that the stats don't matter at all? 

Your pointing to the 3rd game of last  season as to when Collaros went bad? If that's so, how did Collaros get the best QB rating & the best TD % in the league at the end of the season.? 

We were the 2nd best team in the league despite the so called boneheaded decisions. That's all on receivers making great plays and BO right? Nothing to do with Collaros who was in the talk for MOP right up to the end of the season.

Collaros' last 2 full games of the season, both wins, we scored 31 & 34 points. Collaros threw for 258,389 yards. That's not a QB who had lost it in week 3.

Edited by TBURGESS

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Stats never tell the whole story. Are you suggesting that the stats don't matter at all? 

Your pointing to the 3rd game of last  season as to when Collaros went bad? If that's so, how did Collaros get the best QB rating & the best TD % in the league at the end of the season.? 

We were the 2nd best team in the league despite the so called boneheaded decisions. That's all on receivers making great plays and BO right? Nothing to do with Collaros who was in the talk for MOP right up to the end of the season.

Collaros' last 2 full games of the season, both wins, we scored 31 & 34 points. Collaros threw for 258,389 yards. That's not a QB who had lost it in week 3.

Qb stats aren’t tools for evaluation. That’s why qbr is the oldest advanced metric in football. 
 I mean what % of his reps on the season came after we clinched the west final? Do you know how many picks he’d have to throw to increase his pick rate by 25%? 
 zach wasnt in the mop race most of the season. You think having the two best wrs and best rb in the league didn’t impact his stats? 
 How do you reconcile the fact that what’s happening has been called for a while and continues while our performances get worse? 
 Last two full games came before clinching the west final. 

Because quarterbacking in the cfl us **** since Reilly retired and blm messed up his shoulder.

Said it a million times the last few years, collaros being the best qb in the cfl is an indictment of the quality of quarterbacks. 

How did collaros wind up with the best stats? Well he had a hot summer. Seriously he went from the run away slam dunk MOP candidate to not even being his teams nominee as the season wore on. It's the cfl, does anyone believe that if collaros really was playing well that Oliveira would have had the opportunity to be the teams MOP candidate?

No-one saying it was an instant drop off, but this version of collaros started showing up last season for sure. Age is a mother ******.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Were you not around on these boards last season when as the season went on people were discussing the cracks in Zach's game and how it was a concern going into the play offs?

On 2024-07-20 at 10:59 AM, 17to85 said:

Guy is just so done as a high level qb. Physically and mentally.

At first I thought his Cup struggles were due to the weather...then, after the second Cup flop, I figured he's tightening up in high pressure situations. Now the pressure is weekly, as we're in a big hole and he's sensing it all slipping away, and he is making ridiculous mistakes, lots of happy feet and floundering.

Physically he's no spring chicken but I think his head is really messing with him. Although...fearing losing your physical talents can mess with your head, too.

9 hours ago, Deiter Fan said:

At first I thought his Cup struggles were due to the weather...then, after the second Cup flop, I figured he's tightening up in high pressure situations. Now the pressure is weekly, as we're in a big hole and he's sensing it all slipping away, and he is making ridiculous mistakes, lots of happy feet and floundering.

Physically he's no spring chicken but I think his head is really messing with him. Although...fearing losing your physical talents can mess with your head, too.

It happened to Mike Reilly, didn't want to struggle with adversity any longer and threw in the towel earlier than he probably had to.  One year after he was gone the Nathan Rourke thing happened and BC became contenders, so it wasn't hopeless circumstances that did him in, it was his will to struggle onwards.

Most folks aren't pointing just to the playoffs last year. They are saying they saw it coming since the 3rd game of the season. 

We're talking about a QB that went from a QB rating of 118, best in the league last year to 77, worst in the league this year. That's a huge difference. 

Collaros had two bad regular season games last year... BC & Hamilton. He's already had more than that this year. 

20-20 hindsight says we should have traded him in the off season when he still had value and another team MIGHT be willing to pick up his stupidly large contract. A QB tandem of Brown & Streveler would obviously be better this year.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Most folks aren't pointing just to the playoffs last year. They are saying they saw it coming since the 3rd game of the season. 

We're talking about a QB that went from a QB rating of 118, best in the league last year to 77, worst in the league this year. That's a huge difference. 

Collaros had two bad regular season games last year... BC & Hamilton. He's already had more than that this year. 

20-20 hindsight says we should have traded him in the off season when he still had value and another team MIGHT be willing to pick up his stupidly large contract. A QB tandem of Brown & Streveler would obviously be better this year.

20-20 hindsight 

Accessible. I do not think it means, what you think it means. | by Rebecca  Cokley | Medium