Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

It just goes to show how clueless this regime is right now. We’re 2-5, how is a 33 year old with no upside at all any sort of answer? Shouldn’t the PR be used for young players that have some sort of upside. Let’s say best case scenario he’s able to contribute a little bit after two years off of football, we’re going no where fast this year but the regime clearly still thinks we’re contenders. We’re just taking a spot away from a guy that can contribute here in the future. I don’t like it. 

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

It just goes to show how clueless this regime is right now. We’re 2-5, how is a 33 year old with no upside at all any sort of answer? Shouldn’t the PR be used for young players that have some sort of upside. Let’s say best case scenario he’s able to contribute a little bit after two years off of football, we’re going no where fast this year but the regime clearly still thinks we’re contenders. We’re just taking a spot away from a guy that can contribute here in the future. I don’t like it. 

he blends i nicely with other zero upside guys..BA..oVERHILL...Thomas..Kolo...Punter guy...Kramhole....and shows the cluelessness as we dont really need DB's...save for ushering BA out..I like our group....we could be scrap heaping linebackers tho...and canadian dline guys who can actually play....

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Most folks aren't pointing just to the playoffs last year. They are saying they saw it coming since the 3rd game of the season. 

We're talking about a QB that went from a QB rating of 118, best in the league last year to 77, worst in the league this year. That's a huge difference. 

Collaros had two bad regular season games last year... BC & Hamilton. He's already had more than that this year. 

20-20 hindsight says we should have traded him in the off season when he still had value and another team MIGHT be willing to pick up his stupidly large contract. A QB tandem of Brown & Streveler would obviously be better this year.

Its not an open and shut case based on just looking at what his QB rating has dropped to. When in bad situations in 2017 and 2018 his QB ratings were 81.1 and 79.5 before recovering to elite levels in a good situation. There are those who argue you can't pay top dollar for a qb who is team dependant. If that is the case you can argue that we could have let him walk a a long time ago and not paid him as the best qb in the league because that fact is that he's always been the type of QB who needs a team around him to be good. We never should have paid him top money if the logic of a top paid qb should be able to perform in a bad situation.

Anthony Cavillo was similar in this regard. 

Edited by Colin Unger

On 2024-07-17 at 1:00 PM, Fatty Liver said:

Would have liked Grymes in here 4 years ago ....Don't see the upside of this today.....Unless he's found some magic elixer to regain what injuries and time have taken away....this seems pointless....We still think we're contenders???seems to me we're listing and drifting badly 

I have no opinion on Grymes except he better have been cheap. With the team still mathematically within striking distance of a playoff spot we certainly shouldn't be throwing in the towel. We'll need to balance using this as a rebuilding year and trying to win as many games as possible until such a time as we are mathematically out of the playoff picture. Its not a good thing for team culture to give up while the team has won 2 out of 3 and can make a clear mathematical case for making the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I have no opinion on Grymes except he better have been cheap. With the team still mathematically within striking distance of a playoff spot we certainly shouldn't be throwing in the towel. We'll need to balance using this as a rebuilding year and trying to win as many games as possible until such a time as we are mathematically out of the playoff picture. Its not a good thing for team culture to give up while the team has won 2 out of 3 and can make a clear mathematical case for making the playoffs. 

Yes but how is a 33 year old who’s missed the past two seasons due to a knee injury making this team any better? Surely there’s someone about 10 years younger that’s hungry to get get better and prove they can play professional football. Unless he’s 2018 Grymes I’d say it’s going to be pretty useless, and look how good Bighill, and Alexander we’re back then and look at them now. How do you see him coming here and making a difference? 

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Yes but how is a 33 year old who’s missed the past two seasons due to a knee injury making this team any better? Surely there’s someone about 10 years younger that’s hungry to get get better and prove they can play professional football. Unless he’s 2018 Grymes I’d say it’s going to be pretty useless, and look how good Bighill, and Alexander we’re back then and look at them now. How do you see him coming here and making a difference? 

weird signing for sure considering it isnt an area of real need....maybe he is gonna supplant BA?....Grymes did have wheels to burn

3 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I don't disagree but I also don't think our practice roster right now is filled with sure fire prospects. If we find one we could release someone of lower value to make room. Unless we're paying real money for Grymes im not going to lose any sleep over it. 

4 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Don’t know wtf management is doing here. Maybe he’s one of them there “good in the locker room guys”. Yeah. That’s it. 

15 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Let’s be honest. He’s not coming in to a replace a vet.

It all depends. He might take the roster spot of Jones who's 28 already.   Its probably just a move to get someone who they think can play special teams and make have one role in the defense. I don't think he's being brought in to start. 

This season seems more and more like satire. 
 Outside of Kramdi (who they won’t replace) ba is the big hole in the secondary. Idk if they will pull the plug on him either though. Holm hasn’t been good this year and attacked a lot by opposition QBs but I don’t think they’d replace him either.  

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Outside of Kramdi (who they won’t replace) ba is the big hole in the secondary. Idk if they will pull the plug on him either though. Holm hasn’t been good this year and attacked a lot by opposition QBs but I don’t think they’d replace him either.  

Alexander should be on the bench and Holm should be at safety. Honestly our secondary isn’t bad at all. Nichols, Bond and Ford  have all been playing good football. It’s hard on your secondary when the QB gets 5 plus seconds to throw every down. Unfair to expect your DB’s to contain coverage on a huge field. 

32 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He's got quick feet tho...lol

But yeah...he hasn't been good...and even last year media jumped all over the hype from TC when Osh made some comments...he wasn't bad per say last yr...but he wasnt all that people talked him up to be...and he was targeted lots last yr too...hence the high tackles, and the knock downs...with volume thrown at you...you are gonna get knock downs

Kramdi tho has no reason starting other than Osh's love affair for him for what reason I am not sure...and his age now...his physical attributes...this is his upside...and if Osh and some of you fans are fine with the worst SAM in the league then not sure what we will do...I'm not fine with it

I can see if that was the one spot we "needed" the Canadian for ratio and was our best option for a Canadians use....then that would be reasonable...but we need 1 Canadian to always be on the field and Ford has that locked down...and should for yrs now...so prudent recruiting/drafting/free agent work should be to find another Canadian who can play that spot as back-up/rotation .

The wasted reps with no upside/now no good Thomas....Schmeck who hasn't made any leaps forward...tho it's hard when Thomas gets most dline reps out of anyone not named WJ...So we effectively not even allowing ourselves to even see if he is worth hanging on to...or just replacing....Once Lawson is back he will be the prime Canadian Dline guy...and thats a good thing...Hubert has some serious potental and I want to see us get him to add 10...15 pounds and be that multi spot guy....but relying on him right now for major reps is again...not the best option for us if we want to have a dominant line to compensate a bit for weakassed OverHill and Flailing BA...and non-impactful Kramdi.

Sadly as it sits we could do an actual in-season shift/transition with guys already here, and make us significantly better...but Osh won't...and to me if there is a bit of friction and not seeing the same vision with Walters/Miller and Osh...and an unwillingness to change his ways...then why not pull the pin...we wont be any worse and from being in a similar situation before myself..I know damn well that the players will come out and play with extreme fire and grit...and some who are almost kind of going thru motions now due to this mess...would look like night and day difference

I sure it wont be publically stated...alluded to or even talked about by media here but I can with confidence say that there is some dissention and frustration in the room...and its not as close and "tight" as they claim

Edited by Booch

25 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Alexander should be on the bench and Holm should be at safety. Honestly our secondary isn’t bad at all. Nichols, Bond and Ford  have all been playing good football. It’s hard on your secondary when the QB gets 5 plus seconds to throw every down. Unfair to expect your DB’s to contain coverage on a huge field. 

Griffen too when he gets reps...Bridges as well I like.....we are just trash up the gut from safety....through MLB and DT on the 90 percent of plays where we have this fascination with playing Jake...and then you cross that L.O.S and we are weak up the gut again thru Kolo and onto ZC....interesting how that works...and that the analogy in football to fix things...you go from inside out....as well as a change at QB...hmmmmm

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Maybe they’re just going to harvest his bones and organs to start stockpiling so they can build one fully functioning player by the end of the year 

Iheard he emailed Osh...said he can play like a real prick...know all the responsibilities of all the positions...and I practice hard....P.S....I joined the army reserves