Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Where's Bob Cameron when you need him.

Renovating someone's house. It may happen and we don't know but I will never understand why the team doesn't ask him to come spend time with punting prospects at TC to teach just that one technique as in to the wind is such a tricky aspect of the game.

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

Renovating someone's house. It may happen and we don't know but I will never understand why the team doesn't ask him to come spend time with punting prospects at TC to teach just that one technique as in to the wind is such a tricky aspect of the game.

Maybe they can also have him teach O’Shea how to put some dudes on the bench.

9 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

Maybe they can also have him teach O’Shea how to put some dudes on the bench.

I would be shocked if they went outside of the organization for that help and it was more effective than what Wade could do himself.

42 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I would be shocked if they went outside of the organization for that help and it was more effective than what Wade could do himself.

Wade just needs to have a talk with them, Fat Tony style:

"I'm afraid I must insist. You see, the fans, they have been most vocal on the subject of the cooked vets. "Where are the cuts?" "When are you going to replace them?" "Why are they still playing?" And so on."

3 hours ago, GCJenks said:

It has happened a few times. I’m not sure old bob wants to come to camps and then coaching cap restricts it as well. 

3 hours ago, GCJenks said:

I actually talk to Bob quite a bit. I work for a business that he does business with. He seems always interested in talking Bombers, both current, and tells some cool stories about his playing days. 

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I actually talk to Bob quite a bit. I work for a business that he does business with. He seems always interested in talking Bombers, both current, and tells some cool stories about his playing days. 

I wonder what he thinks of captain boomerang and his constant shanks. 

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Awww christ now Noeller is gonna tell a Grey cup2019 story about that

The picture is somewhere on my FB... What a night. "Everybody kept saying where's Dave..."

10 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’m positive you would do better into the wind than our punter 

Punting into the wind has everything to do with ball placement. Lower release point so the ball doesn't go as high. More of a line drive. Lower trajectory into the wind is what punters strive for. At least they used to. Now with the Aussies doing their thing, I've seen pooch punts, end over end... Whatever works, I guess.

On 2024-07-23 at 4:40 PM, Booch said:

Where do these guys get hurt where they need to be 6 gamed when you don't see it happen in game...and they finish and play the whole game...

I wonder about that as well, Booch. Especially at training camp where's there's virtually no hitting anymore. Yet we seem to have 15 guys out after the fourth or fifth day every year. Some with serious injuries. All they're doing is running around with no pads on.

Maybe the answer is to put the full pads on & start hitting. Football is not a sport to play at half speed which is what it is with no pads. If players are going to get hurt, at least get hurt working hard.

I remember going to watch practices when Jim Spavital was Head Coach & he had the players hit everyday. Brutal two a days full pads for nearly 3 weeks in thee hot, blazing sun at St. John's Ravenscourt in Fort Garry. I know as for 2 years I made every TC practice. Rode my bike to every practice as a teenager. The players saw me enough to come over & say hello.

Even with all that hitting going on, injuries weren't as prevalent as today. Less than half of the guys back then were in sick bay like now. Guys got hurt for sure back then but seldom was anyone lost for any length of time. They only had 32 positions available back then with 3 "taxi squad"  spots & CFL teams usually came to camp with 65 players. And from what I remember, Spavital wasn't the only CFL head coach who ran tough training camps. Yet, across the CFL, guys weren't going down in record numbers.

Today's training camps in the CFL are vacations compared to what the veterans of yesteryear went thru. The players workout in the off season so right awy they're ready to go. No two a days anymore . One practice day at times. Players today are in better shape as they train constantly compared to their counterparts in the 70's. Today's players are stronger as they hit the weights, they have better nutrition & cardiovascular than the guys in 1972 with the beer bellies reporting to camp 20 lbs over weight to get in shape. Yet, more guys today get hurt....

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I wonder about that as well, Booch. Especially at training camp where's there's virtually no hitting anymore. Yet we seem to have 15 guys out after the fourth or fifth day every year. Some with serious injuries. All they're doing is running around with no pads on.

Maybe the answer is to put the full pads on & start hitting. Football is not a sport to play at half speed which is what it is with no pads. If players are going to get hurt, at least get hurt working hard.

I remember going to watch practices when Jim Spavital was Head Coach & he had the players hit everyday. Brutal two a days full pads for nearly 3 weeks in thee hot, blazing sun at St. John's Ravenscourt in Fort Garry. I know as for 2 years I made every TC practice. Rode my bike to every practice as a teenager. The players saw me enough to come over & say hello.

Even with all that hitting going on, injuries weren't as prevalent as today. Less than half of the guys back then were in sick bay like now. Guys got hurt for sure back then but seldom was anyone lost for any length of time. They only had 32 positions available back then with 3 "taxi squad"  spots & CFL teams usually came to camp with 65 players. And from what I remember, Spavital wasn't the only CFL head coach who ran tough training camps. Yet, across the CFL, guys weren't going down in record numbers.

Today's training camps in the CFL are vacations compared to what the veterans of yesteryear went thru. The players workout in the off season so right awy they're ready to go. No two a days anymore . One practice day at times. Players today are in better shape as they train constantly compared to their counterparts in the 70's. Today's players are stronger as they hit the weights, they have better nutrition & cardiovascular than the guys in 1972 with the beer bellies reporting to camp 20 lbs over weight to get in shape. Yet, more guys today get hurt....

Agreed....even practice all yr now is a joke...there us zero way a guy can show anything and make a team have to decide on a player bumping another....especially here now.

Osh has his choice of who "he" wants and barring a big injury...if you a new guy or an up and comer...you have no hope unless it's a spot where it has nobody coming back or has been here a while to fill that spot...and even then in some instances he still finds a way to plug in a totally inferior guy

33 minutes ago, Booch said:

Agreed....even practice all yr now is a joke...there us zero way a guy can show anything and make a team have to decide on a player bumping another....especially here now.

Osh has his choice of who "he" wants and barring a big injury...if you a new guy or an up and comer...you have no hope unless it's a spot where it has nobody coming back or has been here a while to fill that spot...and even then in some instances he still finds a way to plug in a totally inferior guy

Only a coach who has no fear of his job does what Osh does. There seems to be little accountability to the higher ups. I don't understand it. No one should be that comfortable especially at the pro level. Winning should be everything. Nothing else should matter. However, the way this team seems to operate, I could see O'Shea having multiple losing seasons & he would still have a job.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, Booch said:

I was saying it before, as someone who’s worked in them my entire adult life, this situation has all the toxic aspects that occur in a poorly managed union shop. 

Keeping fresh blood on the peripherals. No innovation. Catering to senior employees beyond what’s required. No current accountability for anyone who’s performed well in the past. It’s all so familiar lol. 

and the way we been struggling...there no reason for not practicing monday this week...well all yr really....those extra days off for no reason at all ain't helping....country club atmosphere all around has us where we are

Edited by Booch

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

So Sheehan has the lowest punting average in the league and was subpar last year. Why is the Mafia ok with this? How are we not in punter audition mode?

cause we be Oshin'...Thats why...He has some fascination with having a global kicker...The one we had on PR wasting away all yr last yr was better...could boom it...mega hang time if he wanted....but Osh thinks the Aussie style is cool or something...not realizing it totally sucks

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

So Sheehan has the lowest punting average in the league and was subpar last year. Why is the Mafia ok with this? How are we not in punter audition mode?

I swear they brought another punter in a few weeks ago. But haven't heard anything since