Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

At this point it’s not all on O’Shea. 

generally in season....the HC will suggest/ask/request what he may need...where they need some bodies...upgrades and the G.M will facilitate it best they can within whatever restraints they have...so this lack of anything brought in.....non-use of guys in house, and just poor roster make-up..It's all on the HC

Walters and his team brought in a lot of talent this yr...and we watched most it walk out the door...and I guarantee that if we had resigned Walker...and Bennett wasn't hurt....Only Fox would be left standing on our roster in terms of dline talent.... as he was an incumbent, mind you he should have been playing anyway so we win by default on that one luckily...too bad he got hurt

Adams and Woods...the 2 interior guys who have played the best and actually made a difference. when allowed to see the field.....would not even be here....maybe one would rot on the PR but not get a sniff of the roster...Like Garbutt and Fox last yr

It's not all O'Shea but he's fostered a culture where guys are not accountable to one another.

These are the same guys who didn't take a snap in pre-season. 

These are the same guys who were pencilled in as starters without any real or significant challenge to their spot on the roster.

These are the same guys who fail to perform week in, week out .. who no longer have the drive, desire or ability to make an impact or be more than a role player.

Confidence is a fickle thing and I believe it's important to give an athlete a chance to play their way out of a funk.  At the same time, every man must be held to the same standard and it's clear that's not the case.  These guys can get up, say what they want to each other behind closed doors or when they're breaking down film but those words ring hollow when there are no consequences and ultimately, there is no accountability without consequence.   That's on O'Shea.

50 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I swear they brought another punter in a few weeks ago. But haven't heard anything since

I know there was one on the PR but not listed currently. He may still be in town somewhere as his wife is from here and in-laws are here.

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So Sheehan has the lowest punting average in the league and was subpar last year. Why is the Mafia ok with this? How are we not in punter audition mode?

Yes, he does which is not a good thing. Do you (or anyone else) know if the league keeps track of net yards for punts? (I couldn't find it.) Perhaps he might be better in that category? I also noted that he is the only punter who has yet to register a single. Could this be because of good placement near the opposition's goal line? I'm not trying to defend him but just looking for a broader picture.

5 minutes ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

Yes, he does which is not a good thing. Do you (or anyone else) know if the league keeps track of net yards for punts? (I couldn't find it.) Perhaps he might be better in that category? I also noted that he is the only punter who has yet to register a single. Could this be because of good placement near the opposition's goal line? I'm not trying to defend him but just looking for a broader picture.

I think it more he doesnt have the leg....watch everygame this yr...if he is kicking from between our 15 and 25...he barely gets it to midfield...

38 minutes ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

As a team we're somewhere between 7th to 9th in net punt yardage. No stats for him on punts within say the opponents ten.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I think it more he doesnt have the leg....watch everygame this yr...if he is kicking from between our 15 and 25...he barely gets it to midfield...

Though I do think his placement when kicking from closer to midfield is very good, a real strength. But yeah, flipping the field by unleashing a massive punt from deep? Never gonna happen. We punt from deep the other team is getting a field goal minimum 

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Though I do think his placement when kicking from closer to midfield is very good, a real strength. But yeah, flipping the field by unleashing a massive punt from deep? Never gonna happen. We punt from deep the other team is getting a field goal minimum 

happens to us a ton....sometimes a couple times a game....and how many games have we lost the last few yrs?...way too many...seems inconsequential at the time...but when the clock clicks down to zero....makes a big difference then

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I had no problem with the short practices when we were winning. Now that we're losing, it's something we can change to see if we get better results. 

I don't know for sure but is the on-field practice length affected by video sessions?? I think there's only so much time that the players are required to be at the field??

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Only a coach who has no fear of his job does what Osh does. There seems to be little accountability to the higher ups. I don't understand it. No one should be that comfortable especially at the pro level. Winning should be everything. Nothing else should matter. However, the way this team seems to operate, I could see O'Shea having multiple losing seasons & he would still have a job.

I have not watched Walters, but my recollection of Wade Miller as a player was that he would be royally ticked if/when the Bombers lost.  That would seem to be a core personality trait and thus I cannot see that this sort of thing will be allowed to continue much longer. Labour Day at most.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tracker said:

I have not watched Walters, but my recollection of Wade Miller as a player was that he would be royally ticked if/when the Bombers lost.  That would seem to be a core personality trait and thus I cannot see that this sort of thing will be allowed to continue much longer. Labour Day at most.

If you ever get to talk to Doug Brown about Wade, he'll tell you some stories about how Wade ALWAYS gets **** done. He's been successful in basically every aspect of his professional life because he doesn't settle for/expect less than the best. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again... My faith isn't necessarily in Osh or Kyle, but Wade. If Wade can't fix this, nobody can. 

Edited by Noeller

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

If you ever get to talk to Doug Brown about Wade, he'll tell you some stories about how Wade ALWAYS gets **** done. He's been successful in basically every aspect of his professional life because he doesn't settle for/expect less than the best. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again... My faith isn't necessarily in Osh or Kyle, but Wade. If Wade can't fix this, nobody can. 

Since Wade has the final sayso, he has the personality and authority to roll heads if necessary.

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Wade has definitely been a beast as a business man, here and in his own endeavours. 
 He’s as intelligent as he is hard working. 

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

I have zero faith in Osh fixing it...noe.....and why would I/we...proof is in the puddin....the recent success thats back in the rearview now...and getting smaller bythe minute wasn't a result of just him and some secret sauce he had that nobody else ever knew about...he gets way too much credit truth be told

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

Anyone I’ve ever talked to who’s dealt with Wade says roughly the same thing. “He’s a prick, but he’s a damn good businessman”

Roster just keeps getting weaker and weaker....I don't recall Wilson ...who's been one our best defensive guys of late go down....but now he's out.....McGhee?....for Cole?....good god...again....no vet presence added as a receiver to help out..the usual suspects still in their appropriate spots.....chalk up another L 

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

I have zero faith in Osh fixing it...noe.....and why would I/we...proof is in the puddin....the recent success thats back in the rearview now...and getting smaller bythe minute wasn't a result of just him and some secret sauce he had that nobody else ever knew about...he gets way too much credit truth be told

I’d say Walters doesn’t get enough credit for 18-21. Osh probably gets too much. 

From my somewhat limited knowledge Andrew Harris, Chris Randle, Jamaal Westerman and a few others deserve more credit than anyone for building the locker room “culture” or whatever you want to call it. 

Both O’Shea and Walters own the rapid decline equally imo. 

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Roster just keeps getting weaker and weaker....I don't recall Wilson ...who's been one our best defensive guys of late go down....but now he's out.....McGhee?....for Cole?....good god...again....no vet presence added as a receiver to help out..the usual suspects still in their appropriate spots.....chalk up another L 

Wow. They really are ******. That’s the worst looking roster I’ve seen since 2015. 

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

Injury report says it's a shoulder issue and didn't practice at all.  He's good when he's healthy but can't seem to stay off the IR.

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

UGLY. As per usual only roster moves are injury rested. God forbid we make an actual roster change on an under performing player on a 2-5 team. 

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

Injury report says it's a shoulder issue and didn't practice at all.  He's good when he's healthy but can't seem to stay off the IR.

This is the point I think @JuranBoldenRules was making throughout the year. 
Wilson’s a good player, but salary and injury history made him a poor fit for this season. 
It’s just not a position to spend much more than league minimum on. 

They had a rookie in TC making plays all over the place, they chose to keep Wilson and now they’re stuck with nothing and nobody.