Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

11 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I think the OL main stays and Collaros are essentially guarenteed to be back in 2025. I bet that's the last year for a few of them. Will essentially be a decade of building/winning etc etc....grey cup at home...really isn't a better way to go out. 

I think existing health is gonna be a big question mark. Big Stan’s scare was a big deal. Neuf was atrocious before ir time. And I’m convinced zach has lingering throwing hand issues. Some times he struggles soo much to get the ball out cleanly, no matter position or protection. I think the highest risk to retire of guys starting next week is neuf and lowest is Jake. They could all be back, but the cup motivation after 2 wins and 4 straight appearances is diminished imo. If we win this year it’s even more so. 
 I could actually see woli calling it a career in the off season too. I see him wanting the highest quality of life in his post football era. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Bombers have signed DB nick Taylor. I'm guessing someone is out for the year

What a strange choice. He did play a bit last year atleast but he’s in the zach - big stan age range. 
 Dbs are pretty turn key to bring in. Though mcghee isn’t the answer to any roster question. 

58 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Probably Alexander. Nick is super old but was always a freak athlete.

Signing him late in the season worked once to win the cup…

Kelly was fully solid for ba though. And flashed some great potential. Maybe they want to keep Kelly on the bench in case ford or Kramdi get hurt though so it doesn’t cascade us into ratio issues. Maybe they are worried about griffin? Though nichols and bonds did get briefly dinged up too. So maybe they just want a known depth piece in case any one goes down. Could also reflect on ayers ability to get healthy because they’ve used Cole at S, Sam, and coverage pack wil. 
Bridges has been much improved after his first 2 games or so.  

Makes me wonder about Parker too. Dude is good but they didn’t want him for a bit when healthy before, and he’s basically played 1 regular season and play offs worth of games since the start of 2022. 

The Bombers were practising on the Friday of their bye week…

The CFL rules at this time of year allow Mike O'Shea to keep his players relatively busy even during a bye, and the head coach has done just that. Instead of dispersing across the continent for a short vacation, players combined some work with some play.
The play included team bonding: Position groups going out for dinner on Thursday, with a full team bowling outing scheduled for Friday night.
The work included hitting the field for practice before hitting the lanes.
The goal is to take down that last pin still standing - first place in the West Division - and get rolling into the playoffs.
"I want to go and earn it," running back Brady Oliveira said. "I want to earn the right to host the West Final again, and not putting it into anyone else's hands."
That chance comes in Montreal a week from Saturday. Win or tie, and the Bombers finish in first place. Lose in Montreal, and they have to hope Saskatchewan loses or ties at home to last-place Calgary later that same night.
"We never want somebody else taking care of our business," Jefferson said. "We want to take care of our business. Should have done it last week. Played a good Toronto team... didn't get it done."
-Paul Friesen

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Like grabbing bright. Fits the mold of our compact, strong, athletic lbers with a good nose for the play and great physicality. 

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/stats/Cam-Bright-LB-Pittsburgh

In watching the highlights what impressed me most was that Bright did not get washed out in the line play much. Looks to be a blue-chip prospect who looked good in blue and gold. Now, if he is able to adapt to the CFL....

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

In watching the highlights what impressed me most was that Bright did not get washed out in the line play much. Looks to be a blue-chip prospect who looked good in blue and gold. Now, if he is able to adapt to the CFL....

Yeah he’s got great strength, especially for a guy under 220. That ability to explode and get off a block has been sorely missing for a while here though some of the other young guys have flashed it. 
 I think this is/will be the new prototype for lbers in the cfl. Just as sams have been becoming bigger guys 205-215 who can play in the box, wils are becoming rotational or interchangeable. I think even macs will evolve to be more guys like ayers/cole. Who can drop into cover, pass rush, get off a block, and scrape side line to side line. 

2 hours ago, SectionKBlackout said:

The Bombers were practising on the Friday of their bye week…

The CFL rules at this time of year allow Mike O'Shea to keep his players relatively busy even during a bye, and the head coach has done just that. Instead of dispersing across the continent for a short vacation, players combined some work with some play.
The play included team bonding: Position groups going out for dinner on Thursday, with a full team bowling outing scheduled for Friday night.
The work included hitting the field for practice before hitting the lanes.
The goal is to take down that last pin still standing - first place in the West Division - and get rolling into the playoffs.
"I want to go and earn it," running back Brady Oliveira said. "I want to earn the right to host the West Final again, and not putting it into anyone else's hands."
That chance comes in Montreal a week from Saturday. Win or tie, and the Bombers finish in first place. Lose in Montreal, and they have to hope Saskatchewan loses or ties at home to last-place Calgary later that same night.
"We never want somebody else taking care of our business," Jefferson said. "We want to take care of our business. Should have done it last week. Played a good Toronto team... didn't get it done."
-Paul Friesen

I don’t recall the last time we held the team back for the bye week. It’s a great move, and I like that they mixed in team building stuff but also had a practice. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Apparently Bright was with both Calgary and Ottawa this year and couldn't stick... According to Tait's piece today anyhow. 

Yep. I think it’s a better statement to his talent that he got a long term 2nd cfl look off camp/pre season with out regular season action. Not many guys get that look any more. 
 We’ve also done pretty well scooping guys like this at lber and on D in general. 

I could see him getting a look in the last game to evaluate who would be better to carry between he and notree, especially if ayers isn’t gonna be back. I am glad they are bolstering our depth at the key di spots with the injuries we have. 
 I also wouldn’t be stunned if he’s just here for depth and to push the guys we have at lber. 

13 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yep. I think it’s a better statement to his talent that he got a long term 2nd cfl look off camp/pre season with out regular season action. Not many guys get that look any more. 
 We’ve also done pretty well scooping guys like this at lber and on D in general. 

I could see him getting a look in the last game to evaluate who would be better to carry between he and notree, especially if ayers isn’t gonna be back. I am glad they are bolstering our depth at the key di spots with the injuries we have. 
 I also wouldn’t be stunned if he’s just here for depth and to push the guys we have at lber. 

I would think he and Taylor are just some late season insurance policies. 

On 2024-10-18 at 8:12 PM, Goalie said:

Some of you on this forum have unrealistic expectations. Best team in the cfl the last how many years really. At what point do some on this forum realize they don’t know **** 

well...really the Als were best last yr....Argo's yr before....and truthfully we were lucky as hell to come out with a 2021 win too....we had good records in season...and were able to gloss over some faults...but many of those same faults are still there....but are talent isn't...and our record reflects it...we have a lotta work to do despite all the back slapping and glad handing of our team...ie...Coaches....we have transitioned a bit, but anyone with half a brain knows we were forced to due to injury and if they didn't occur we would have made next to no change....We squeezed every drip outta some of our players and are still trying to now, and our coaching failed us in consecutive Cups....and I have not a lot of faith that they won't again this playoffs....but we will soon find out

On 2024-10-18 at 8:12 PM, Goalie said:

Some of you on this forum have unrealistic expectations. Best team in the cfl the last how many years really. At what point do some on this forum realize they don’t know **** 

who won last 2 cups?....making them the be st???....no?

On 2024-10-18 at 8:39 PM, SectionKBlackout said:

The bombers before a bye week in recent years have been pure ****. Pretty sure the 2022 season our only losses were games before bye weeks. Last year a bunch. Another big let down this year. It's not something new. 

for all the accolades...thats a reflection on coaching and prepardeness

On 2024-10-18 at 7:48 PM, Tracker said:

Some of us in this forum thought the loss in the last Grey Cup would produce significant change, but it did not.

sadly...and hope I wrong but I have a unsettling feeling that come play-offs....some of it will reer it's ugly face again

On 2024-10-18 at 10:10 PM, Noeller said:

Sounds like Collaros has quite the speech following the loss to Toronto. Neufeld wouldn't go into details, but it was fiery. The OL, in particular, is not happy (nor should they be) and I wouldn't be surprised to see them enforce their will on the Als next weekend...

hopefully.....but talk is cheap if you don't have the tools to enforce things

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah he’s got great strength, especially for a guy under 220. That ability to explode and get off a block has been sorely missing for a while here though some of the other young guys have flashed it. 
 I think this is/will be the new prototype for lbers in the cfl. Just as sams have been becoming bigger guys 205-215 who can play in the box, wils are becoming rotational or interchangeable. I think even macs will evolve to be more guys like ayers/cole. Who can drop into cover, pass rush, get off a block, and scrape side line to side line. 

I don’t recall the last time we held the team back for the bye week. It’s a great move, and I like that they mixed in team building stuff but also had a practice. 

sounds like we actually doing some coaching with urgency and have closed the country club aspect

We were not lucky to win any of our Grey Cups and we were not lucky to get to any of them. Anyone who says otherwise is posting with an agenda. Sorry Booch but that's some kind of bullshit man. You wanna advance your argument about MOS, I get that, but don't make up **** and sell it as fact. Yea, we lost 2 Grey Cup games in a row, but we never played up to our level in either game and we lost both by very tight scores. We were not some kind of smoke and mirror team that got exposed in the big game. That's a crock. Saying stuff like that is a real slap in the face to our players who worked their tails off for us fans to have that chance.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

We were not lucky to win any of our Grey Cups and we were not lucky to get to any of them. Anyone who says otherwise is posting with an agenda. Sorry Booch but that's some kind of bullshit man. You wanna advance your argument about MOS, I get that, but don't make up **** and sell it as fact.

never said we were lucky to get to them....but were damn lucky to win 2021....

But the lossess in 2022 and 2023...are very easy to pinoint.....just cause yu cant see the good...with the bad doesnt make you better or have any less of a different agenda...you tend to use yhour opinion as be all end all as well quite often....and I wonder at times where you are coming from with the blind ignorance of a lot of whats went on

Edited by Booch

2 hours ago, Booch said:

never said we were lucky to get to them....but were damn lucky to win 2021....

But the lossess in 2022 and 2023...are very easy to pinoint.....just cause yu cant see the good...with the bad doesnt make you better or have any less of a different agenda...you tend to use yhour opinion as be all end all as well quite often....and I wonder at times where you are coming from with the blind ignorance of a lot of whats went on

I have no ignorance of what's going on. I just don't feel the need to rehash criticisms or praise over and over again. It is a fruitless exercise that ends up just annoying everyone. I tend to skew towards positivity when it comes to MOS but not over the top. I just don't feel that the mistakes he has made have outweighed all the great coaching he has also brought to the table. I doubt you find many Bomber fans who do, even those that are very knowledgable about the game. I also don't make outlandish claims to justify my opinion. I respect your opinion a lot Booch but sometimes the hyperbole in your comments is over the top and it ends up taking away from your argument instead of adding to it.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I have no ignorance of what's going on. I just don't feel the need to rehash criticisms or praise over and over again. It is a fruitless exercise that ends up just annoying everyone. I tend to skew towards positivity when it comes to MOS but not over the top. I just don't feel that the mistakes he has made have outweighed all the great coaching he has also brought to the table. I doubt you find many Bomber fans who do, even those that are very knowledgable about the game. I also don't make outlandish claims to justify my opinion. I respect your opinion a lot Booch but sometimes the hyperbole in your comments is over the top and it ends up taking away from your argument instead of adding to it.

whats outlandish about bassically poor coaching decisions cost us likely 2 cups....and if were not the sole reason...were very integral in it

I praise Osh where it's warranted....but I also call out and will lambast the stupid stuff too....that in many area's he still dos and hasn't learned from

An exceptional roster of players who were top of the league in their prime glossed over a lot of it....pages have turned...time has moved forward and some the glossing isn't happening now....and he has not learned or realized it...thats all I am saying....and for all that has been accomplished....a whole hell of a lot more could have....and easily too....I played....coach....and train....and every person I have been involved with...past..present....and I am sure in future have learned...evolved and adjusted.....it's not hard to do when you drop some of the stubbornness and belief your way is only way...and I have crossed paths with many a stubborn hard headed people in the game....You can still play it "your way" and still tweak and augment...nobody will look down on you....but majority will applaud

Edited by Booch

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Freak of nature....

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Not sure if this on track or ahead of schedule but Streveler posted a video of his rehab the past month. Is already riding a stationary bike.

from going thru it 2x myself....he's a machine and gonna do an Adrian Peterson type recovery I bet

10 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Missed the signings yesterday. I’m not sure what he has left in the tank but man I love some Nick Taylor. 
Watching him dance around after knocking down BLM’s deep shots in the 19 WSF is burned into my brain. 

I am thinking he could play safety still.

16 hours ago, Booch said:

whats outlandish about bassically poor coaching decisions cost us likely 2 cups....and if were not the sole reason...were very integral in it

I praise Osh where it's warranted....but I also call out and will lambast the stupid stuff too....that in many area's he still dos and hasn't learned from

An exceptional roster of players who were top of the league in their prime glossed over a lot of it....pages have turned...time has moved forward and some the glossing isn't happening now....and he has not learned or realized it...thats all I am saying....and for all that has been accomplished....a whole hell of a lot more could have....and easily too....I played....coach....and train....and every person I have been involved with...past..present....and I am sure in future have learned...evolved and adjusted.....it's not hard to do when you drop some of the stubbornness and belief your way is only way...and I have crossed paths with many a stubborn hard headed people in the game....You can still play it "your way" and still tweak and augment...nobody will look down on you....but majority will applaud

What's outlandish is saying we were and I quote "lucky as hell to win the cup in 21". There was absolutely zero luck involved and really takes credit away from what was a great team, with great coaching, that achieved great things that year. I guess I'm just a little sensitive to people crapping or taking credit away from a team that really deserves our ongoing respect.

Edited by GCn20

50 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I am thinking he could play safety still.

What's outlandish is saying we were and I quote "lucky as hell to win the cup in 21". There was absolutely zero luck involved and really takes credit away from what was a great team, with great coaching, that achieved great things that year. I guess I'm just a little sensitive to people crapping or taking credit away from a team that really deserves our ongoing respect.

we were....1 inch and Nichols doesnt make that play....if Masoli was in all game too....prob a different outcome as well. Nobody is taking away anything, but in sports...and high levels if you have ever played at times luck comes into play...alot....you can't deny it in any sport...and like they say....Good teams are lucky more than not

People can applaud for perceived good things with no problem....but how dare someone criticize in what a lot of times is blatant mismanagement/coaching/playing/attitude...whatever it is....You can agree...disagree....dispute....challenge...discuss....interpret however you wish...not just you but all of us..thats the beauty of open discussion on an open fanboard......but it's pretty clea in several regards that some.....red carefully here before you get your knickers in a twist...but some of our success was in spite of some real poor decisions...while we had the good fortune of having the best roster....and when we went to the well too many times since Cup #2 and didnt have foresight to maybe transition guys, and better maintain an active game ay roster and PR...while riding some aged out vets, and some "good guy" players who really...were not adequate for the roles some were given....well what we have....a couple shiny reg-season records....but 2 cup losses ...and then games this yr where we have struggled...a lot...look nothing like the prime 2019-2022 squads, 

None of that is an outlandish take at all....it's right there in front of us to witness. A team...player...and yup a coach can be good to great and have serious flaws....pretending they are not there with only support to dispute it is "yeah buts" from Cup wins now pushing 3 yrs ago....to me is pretty outlandish

I support the team and organization as much as anyone....season ticket holder and also give 2 tickets away most games to local youth....and give respect as much as anyone when and where warranted....but also won't pull punches and call things out...you dont have to like what i say....and I encourage discussion and point/counter point with factual and pertinent points....every story has 2 sides to it.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the team has signed American quarterback Darren Grainger, American defensive end Brandon Wright and American defensive back Jordan Toles to futures deals as of the 2025 season.

Grainger & Wright coming back while Toles is new to the team.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/10/22/blue-bombers-sign-three-to-futures-contracts/