Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

One catch and he's worth that much?

Wheatfall looked like a good receiver with potential. If any of these younger guys can step up & make an impact then we may be able to free up some money & pick up some assets by trading a veteran receiver. We have too much $$$ tied up in Lawler & Schoen. Injuries suck but I'm hoping Walters can look at the roster & free up some cash. There's a lot of money tied up in 2 players on the 6 game IL.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Wheatfall looked like a good receiver with potential. If any of these younger guys can step up & make an impact then we may be able to free up some money & pick up some assets by trading a veteran receiver. We have too much $$$ tied up in Lawler & Schoen. Injuries suck but I'm hoping Walters can look at the roster & free up some cash. There's a lot of money tied up in 2 players on the 6 game IL.

So people keep complaining about Lawler and Schoen's salaries but both have led the CFL in receiving and are at worst two of the top 10 WR in the CFL but nobody complains about Demski making $215,000 which makes him something like the 4th highest paid WR in the CFL and he's best suited to be an excellent third option, maybe a second option. I'd rather keep both over Demski.

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So people keep complaining about Lawler and Schoen's salaries but both have led the CFL in receiving and are at worst two of the top 10 WR in the CFL but nobody complains about Demski making $215,000 which makes him something like the 4th highest paid WR in the CFL and he's best suited to be an excellent third option, maybe a second option. I'd rather keep both over Demski.

and would put a nice chunk of $$ back into the SMS for somewhere else a well

Especially of we move from Neuf..Thomas..Biggie..Kolo...BA....even a guy like Gauthier and JA for next yr....we can free up some vet money there as well for 2025

19 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Demski seems to have lost a step. There I said it. The Winnipeg player firing squad should arrive soon.

Last game we started 12 players that weren't with us or hadn't

started last year.

Posters are calling for Alexander Bighill,Thomas, and at times Kramdl, and now Demski?

That makes 17. How did we win a game last year, or this year

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Demski seems to have lost a step. There I said it. The Winnipeg player firing squad should arrive soon.

Don’t think he’s lost a step, but he is certainly struggling with in his role, and even struggling at executing blocks.  Hes a no2 guy, he’s robin not Batman. He does more for other guys than any wr in the league. If you have to pick 2 of the 3 you are best off with Demski and either guy. Not the other two with out demski. With out good guys to open stuff up for a lot of value is lost with Demski. 

Demski is getting a really big pay day. We have too much money tied up in too few positions for sure. If you look at the top 10 paid wrs in the league this year, most are behind nik in production. 

But, once lawler is back I think nik will play and provide much more again. Keep in mind he’s on track for almost 1000 yards again, his catch rate is very similar to Wilson’s, and Zack struggled soo badly for much of the first half. 

I would love to see Demski take a more team friendly deal next year. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I can't believe Demski's salary jumped that much between 2023 and 2024, but if he signed an incremental 3 year deal in 2023, next year will be even higher unless they renegotiate.

9) Nic Demski, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (N)

Hard money: $175,000
Maximum value: $175,000

The 29-year-old received a $35,000 signing bonus to ink a three-year extension with his hometown team through 2025 with the value of the deal rising in each respective year. The rest of his earnings for 2023 will be paid in the form of a $140,000 salary.

4) Nic Demski, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (N)

Hard money: $225,000
Maximum value: $225,000

The 30-year-old was named a West Division all-star for the third consecutive year in 2023 after eclipsing the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career. He received a $65,000 roster bonus on Jan. 1, $30,000 of which he forwent last season to help his hometown team against the salary cap. The rest of his earnings will be paid as a $140,000 salary and $20,000 in non-football-related services.

After all this is 3DN speculation and not verified CFL info, I think they are also throwing the "non-football-related services" fee on top which was never known to exist prior to this season.  Nonetheless Walters has to cut back on the receiver budget to bring back balance to salary management, axing hometown boy Demski is not the likeliest path chosen.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

there’s no way I’m writing Demski off but we definitely do need to give some thought (and by we, I mean the front office) as to whether or not we want to retain him at his current price tag

Logically Clercius and Wilson become starters next season, Clericus replaces Bailey and just have to make room for Wilson. Lucky is a one season fling unless he wants to hang around on the fringe like McCrae next season, he'd still play a lot of games filling in.

5 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

You have good Canadian Olinemen in Wallace and Eli.

Eli might be a perennial 6th O-lineman, they didn't hesitate to insert Randolph ahead of him, can't see him progressing till he beats out Kola.

I think we fine for next 3..4 yrs at least with an interior of Dobson..Wallace and Eli..as our main 3 Nationals...we need to get some young guys behind them....so draft is key, or we can go via free agency and get a up and comer going into his second contract...not too concerned there as we seem to know how to scout/draft and develop there

Demski for most part this yr was trying to do too much and carry the load knowing we were so gouged at WR from injury....can't fault hi for that, and old habits from past crept in when he wasn't acutely aware of ball security...Once Lawler comes back...Wilson keeps developing and the addition of Lucky now...we will see him back to his usual self...not overly concerned there, and with the amount we have had on the 6 game this yr I can see a renegotiate withhim for 2025 with some of that money coming this yr...the seemingly quietness of Walters and the non-moves leads me to think we will see a couple of those happen this yr, to help load up for 2025....ZC included

6 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Logically Clercius and Wilson become starters next season, Clericus replaces Bailey and just have to make room for Wilson. Lucky is a one season fling unless he wants to hang around on the fringe like McCrae next season, he'd still play a lot of games filling in.

Eli might be a perennial 6th O-lineman, they didn't hesitate to insert Randolph ahead of him, can't see him progressing till he beats out Kola.

he is better than Kolo now....Osh politics

Also tho I think it was more they didnt want to rely on Wallace yet as an in game replacement at guard if Kolo was to go out with injury in game and Eli had to assume center...and it makes a lot of sense actually when you dig into it....Also Osh alluded in one of his usually useless pressers that Eli was the backup center in part of his rambling....if u were to read between the lines....for once in a long time I actually side with Osh there on a roster tweak....Wallace may not be ready for starting guard work....with no reps all week.....yet....as I believe he is gonna be there next yr....and be dominant

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

They're not better than the Americans who are starting. ZC is going to be behind centre for the foreseeable future - he needs an OL that is a cut above.

Eli isn’t a guard, Wallace isn’t ready. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I think we fine for next 3..4 yrs at least with an interior of Dobson..Wallace and Eli..as our main 3 Nationals...we need to get some young guys behind them....so draft is key, or we can go via free agency and get a up and comer going into his second contract...not too concerned there as we seem to know how to scout/draft and develop there

Demski for most part this yr was trying to do too much and carry the load knowing we were so gouged at WR from injury....can't fault hi for that, and old habits from past crept in when he wasn't acutely aware of ball security...Once Lawler comes back...Wilson keeps developing and the addition of Lucky now...we will see him back to his usual self...not overly concerned there, and with the amount we have had on the 6 game this yr I can see a renegotiate withhim for 2025 with some of that money coming this yr...the seemingly quietness of Walters and the non-moves leads me to think we will see a couple of those happen this yr, to help load up for 2025....ZC included

he is better than Kolo now....Osh politics

Also tho I think it was more they didnt want to rely on Wallace yet as an in game replacement at guard if Kolo was to go out with injury in game and Eli had to assume center...and it makes a lot of sense actually when you dig into it....Also Osh alluded in one of his usually useless pressers that Eli was the backup center in part of his rambling....if u were to read between the lines....for once in a long time I actually side with Osh there on a roster tweak....Wallace may not be ready for starting guard work....with no reps all week.....yet....as I believe he is gonna be there next yr....and be dominant

Yep, and Dobson has been good after a bit of a rough start, and the rights the gio manu as well. 
 I’d still probably draft an ok in the top 3-4 rounds next year, but we are is very good shape for ni ol. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Eli isn’t a guard, Wallace isn’t ready. 

Yep, and Dobson has been good after a bit of a rough start, and the rights the gio manu as well. 
 I’d still probably draft an ok in the top 3-4 rounds next year, but we are is very good shape for ni ol. 

oh forgot about Manu....