Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

29 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

100% agree that Eli should be starting over Kolo. And no debate that Osh makes many baffling roster decisions. I do wonder though if there's a bit more to him not starting than just Osh. OL coach, OC, even the DC and DL coaches give some input as to who they see as the best options. OL coach and OC give a lot of input on all teams. You have wonder why they're not seemingly beating the Eli drum as hard as we fans are. Maybe they're seeing something in practices they don't like? Blown assigments, communication, conditioning ... just guesses. I get it, head coach has final say. But you know that in football the assistant coaches and especially coordinators are really vocal about player choices. And one final thing - if Eli was clearly blowing away Kolo in practice, regularly pancaking DL's, he'd be starting. I just think that although he's better than Kolo, the margin isn't massive. At least at present. 

What do you base this on...when you say coaches should clearly make the opposite decision?  Think about it for a second.  You haven't even seen Eli play centre in the CFL.

Yeah this an appeal to authority but Eli is nothing special even in the roles he's playing.  Watch him try to pass protect the edge when they run the 6 OL max protect sets.  He can't move laterally at all.  He comes in at guard and he's getting beat with strength and inside rips/swims because his feet don't move with him at all.  Yeah he can lock onto a run block or support the play side double teams on wide zone looks.  I just don't understand what the thinking is that somehow he's going to be a difference maker.  Kolankowski is the 3rd guy they've played at C over him and even had Dobson getting reps in pre-season over him.  They clearly don't see him as a viable option as anything but a fill-in to get out of a game at centre, likely any spot.

I'm kind of surprised Wallace didn't get a shot in Toronto at G because he looks a lot more physically capable in an athletic sense in those heavy set reps he gets.  His hips were a little concerning in pre-season getting to his assignments in pass pro by turning rather than firing his feet.  But he's had 3 months of reps now.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

100% agree that Eli should be starting over Kolo. And no debate that Osh makes many baffling roster decisions. I do wonder though if there's a bit more to him not starting than just Osh. OL coach, OC, even the DC and DL coaches give some input as to who they see as the best options. OL coach and OC give a lot of input on all teams. You have to wonder why they're not seemingly beating the Eli drum as hard as we fans are. Maybe they're seeing something in practices they don't like? Blown assigments, communication, conditioning ... just guesses. I get it, head coach has final say. But you know that in football the assistant coaches and especially coordinators are really vocal about player choices. And one final thing - if Eli was clearly blowing away Kolo in practice, regularly pancaking DL's, he'd be starting. I just think that although he's better than Kolo, the margin isn't massive. At least at present. 

We often criticize OShea for not making moves to replace vets that aren't producing to our satisfaction, but I have to say putting  Randolph in was a great move. An American guard has to show a lot in practice to start over a national, and at only 25 he has a big upside, giving a young olineman reps could be an investment we will grow to appreciate

As far as Eli vs Kolo I dont think Eli has shown enough to make that change.

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

What do you base this on...when you say coaches should clearly make the opposite decision?  Think about it for a second.  You haven't even seen Eli play centre in the CFL.

Yeah this an appeal to authority but Eli is nothing special even in the roles he's playing.  Watch him try to pass protect the edge when they run the 6 OL max protect sets.  He can't move laterally at all.  He comes in at guard and he's getting beat with strength and inside rips/swims because his feet don't move with him at all.  Yeah he can lock onto a run block or support the play side double teams on wide zone looks.  I just don't understand what the thinking is that somehow he's going to be a difference maker.  Kolankowski is the 3rd guy they've played at C over him and even had Dobson getting reps in pre-season over him.  They clearly don't see him as a viable option as anything but a fill-in to get out of a game at centre, likely any spot.

I'm kind of surprised Wallace didn't get a shot in Toronto at G because he looks a lot more physically capable in an athletic sense in those heavy set reps he gets.  His hips were a little concerning in pre-season getting to his assignments in pass pro by turning rather than firing his feet.  But he's had 3 months of reps now.

I think we’re basically agreeing. I don’t think Eli has shown much either yet. And, I said if he clearly had in practices, meetings, pretty sure the other coaches would be lobbying harder for him. 

I don’t think Kolo is a great center. Below average. So why not try Eli based in part to his pedigree - Remington trophy consideration - over Kolo?

40 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

I think we’re basically agreeing. I don’t think Eli has shown much either yet. And, I said if he clearly had in practices, meetings, pretty sure the other coaches would be lobbying harder for him. 

I don’t think Kolo is a great center. Below average. So why not try Eli based in part to his pedigree - Remington trophy consideration - over Kolo?

They watchlist like 50 centers out of 300 in FBS.  I'm not sure a guy making that list 8 years ago counts for anything on a pro football field today.

11 hours ago, Stickem said:

Switching up a bit....Why do we employ a kicker who is not getting it done....I realize there is chemistry with Castillo but I don't see why we couldn't get another kicker, to build chemistry with Castillo, who is a helluva lot more reliable....Just one of the head scratchers that hold this team back....

You're talking Sheahan, the punter, right?

Could release the punter. Let Sergio do all 3 and roster LB Fabian Weitz who apparently was one of the top global players available this past draft and would help on special teams. The one write up I’ve seen on him says he should be a solid teams contributor already. Cuz Sheehan global lucky or glucky and karamoko (sp??) ain’t good. 

as for Eli vs Kolo. I dunno. Eli is good in run blocking but gets trucked in pass protection it appears. I’m gonna be real. I think if ELi was as good as folks think, he would be starting but obviously he lacks a bit. I don’t think pro sports teams play inferior players as much as the fans think they do. I think the staff believes kolo is the more consistent center. Eli rarely takes reps there even.  The staff includes the oline coach. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Could release the punter. Let Sergio do all 3 and roster LB Fabian Weitz who apparently was one of the top global players available this past draft and would help on special teams. The one write up I’ve seen on him says he should be a solid teams contributor already. 

I think Sheahan is here the rest of the season. He's Castillo's holder & do you mess with that chemistry the way the guy has been kicking this year? 

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Could release the punter. Let Sergio do all 3 and roster LB Fabian Weitz who apparently was one of the top global players available this past draft and would help on special teams. The one write up I’ve seen on him says he should be a solid teams contributor already. Cuz Sheehan global lucky or glucky and karamoko (sp??) ain’t good. 

Heard Weitz was shortlisted for the John Smith award which goes to one of the top 500 linebackers in Western Europe.

I’m not saying Weitz is some stud but you need to dress 1 global i thought. I’d take the potential sp teams demon over a punter who can’t kick the ball 50 yards if he tried.  I thought Sergio was a good punter. Better than the current guy. Thought his kickoffs were the issue but he’s improved there significantly I thought. 

Edited by Goalie

From PFF this week.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (Up 1)

LT Stanley Bryant
LG Liam Dobson
C Chris Kolankowski
RG Kendall Randolph
RT Eric Lofton

Winnipeg's group was the top-graded run-blocking offensive line in Week 9, finishing with grades of 73.9 overall, 73.3 in run blocking  and 74.1 in pass blocking.

CFL rookie Keith Randolph got his first start this week at right guard and was stellar. Randolph earned a 79.3 pass-blocking grade with zero pressures allowed across 35 snaps.

Bryant (73.6), Lofton (72.9) and Kolankowski (72.4) all had stellar showings. They each ranked among the four highest-graded offensive linemen of the week.

19 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

From PFF this week.

LT Stanley Bryant
LG Liam Dobson
C Chris Kolankowski
RG Kendall Randolph
RT Eric Lofton

Winnipeg's group was the top-graded run-blocking offensive line in Week 9, finishing with grades of 73.9 overall, 73.3 in run blocking  and 74.1 in pass blocking.

CFL rookie Keith Randolph got his first start this week at right guard and was stellar. Randolph earned a 79.3 pass-blocking grade with zero pressures allowed across 35 snaps.

Bryant (73.6), Lofton (72.9) and Kolankowski (72.4) all had stellar showings. They each ranked among the four highest-graded offensive linemen of the week.

I thought Kendall Randolph was better... but Keith played OK too...

19 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

From PFF this week.

LT Stanley Bryant
LG Liam Dobson
C Chris Kolankowski
RG Kendall Randolph
RT Eric Lofton

I give O’Shea some credit where credit is due. Instead of plugging Wallace or Eli in because they have some game day experience they went with the un known guy with tremendous upside. If we can critique O’shaa for being loyal to vets in ok giving him some praise for a good roster decision. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You're talking Sheahan, the punter, right?

Yup......The punting is inadequate ....Let Castillo punt he's being wasted AND if that occurs all we are left with is a glorified holder on fg's.....and a waste of a position...I'm just waiting for a Sheehan punt that costs us big time going down the stretch and the inevitable 'hue and cry'

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I like Dante Mastrogiuseppe who we had in pre-season. With all these teams using global punters there's gotta be a supply a decent Canadian punters out there.

Would Bob Cameron even have made the CFL during these times?

That name would be a nightmare to write down!

So on the Coach's show, O'Shea said the league told him tha the Toronto interception that he challenged should have been called as DPI.

He also said the league will be calling delay of game penalties against teams that call a time out when they dont have one. If they called that against the Argos then the Bombers probably would have won.

3 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

So on the Coach's show, O'Shea said the league told him tha the Toronto interception that he challenged should have been called as DPI.

He also said the league will be calling delay of game penalties against teams that call a time out when they dont have one. If they called that against the Argos then the Bombers probably would have won.

Whaaaaat? The league jobbed the Bombers and cost us a game? Nooooooooo

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Or made the right call too...double kick to the onions

Wonder if we see a reshuffle of the pr coming soon. With lawler getting healthy and lucky taking a spot doesn’t make sense to keep Alston around. Imagine Johnson to the pr and Alston goes home. Mitchell could be sent out for an nfl cut too.
 doesn’t make sense to keep grimes mcghee and bridges all around when we are using Kelly at half, rostering karamoko, and are dressing griffin as a back up/dime and he’s been killing it. I could see two of them sent packing for nfl cuts. 
 Smith and case are pretty interchangeable, though I’d rather have a di who could play rb than wr. I could see him sent packing for an nfl cut too. 

I could see us being in the market for a de if habba isn’t going to be ready soon. A wil/sam/s tweener like Cole to replace him if he won’t be back this year would be good. A 4th qb audition for camp wouldn’t be a surprise. A punter would be really fantastic but probably won’t happen till the off season.