Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I would be surprised if we are buried in the power rankings this week. We looked the worst out of any team, and it wasn't close.

Not to say it will last, but it really shows how "not ready" we were to play.

Yeah the compete level of training camp didn't align with being prepared for Game 1.

They had 96 guys on the field 6 days before Game 1.

Coaching staff and management might have to check their arrogance about how prepared they are soon.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Is it? At what point is it on the players on the field not executing. ?? 

It's on the players all the time.....but not giving the vets one day of play time before the start of the season is on coaching

Nice to see Josh Johnson moived to AR....he should have been the starter over Wildon in frst game...most pro ready and polished receiver all thro camp

Curious what we do at RB tho...too bad we didbt have foresight and notion to bring in multiple American backs to fill in just ib case what we have right now...BO isnt right and trotting him out there when not ready will just make this a long season for him with being knicked all yr...just another example of the griping about roster and depth...relience on the same ol same ol and poor forward thinking

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

It's on the players all the time.....but not giving the vets one day of play time before the start of the season is on coaching

I’d have an easier time blaming coaching if the D **** the bed too. But they didn’t. They just were on the field all game. Zach not being able to complete a pass tho is on Zach. 

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

Nice to see Josh Johnson moived to AR....he should have been the starter over Wildon in frst game...most pro ready and polished receiver all thro camp

Curious what we do at RB tho...too bad we didbt have foresight and notion to bring in multiple American backs to fill in just ib case what we have right now...BO isnt right and trotting him out there when not ready will just make this a long season for him with being knicked all yr...just another example of the griping about roster and depth...relience on the same ol same ol and poor forward thinking

They did have multiple American backs and Smith made the team aside from being injured.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Seeing what Toronto put out on the field yesterday was so frustrating. Do they have weak spots? Sure. But the young talent pool is impressive. They lost so many pieces and more just step right up - not necessarily rookies, but guys they’re recruited and developed and now asked to play bigger roles. Brinkman, Pierce, Dukes, Williams, Franklin … they do a good job of talent assessment over there for sure 

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I’d have an easier time blaming coaching if the D **** the bed too. But they didn’t. They just were on the field all game. Zach not being able to complete a pass tho is on Zach. 

It’s not all on Zach though. A lot of it is, but not all of it. It’s crazy how in preseason, you were ALL OVER Booch and I for saying some negative things that ended up being entirely true but now that we’re one game in, you’ve got completely off the deep end on the other side of the argument.

Our preparedness on offense left a lot to be desired. Zach wasn’t making throws, but those throws also involve rhythm, timing, understanding of blocking assignments, chemistry and a lot more. The whole offense was out of sync and Zach is a big part of that but he’s not entirely to blame.

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They did have multiple American backs and Smith made the team aside from being injured.

who weree the multiple amaerican Backs? One got puntd quickly...and was punted from the Redblacks as well...and one showed well...then he cut due to injury....why not keep the other one...whoever that was just in case...poor planning....plus released the other Canadian in case you ran into injury issues and had to start JA and needed a backup on roster if you didnt flip the ratio spot ton an import

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Seeing what Toronto put out on the field yesterday was so frustrating. Do they have weak spots? Sure. But the young talent pool is impressive. They lost so many pieces and more just step right up - not necessarily rookies, but guys they’re recruited and developed and now asked to play bigger roles. Brinkman, Pierce, Dukes, Williams, Franklin … they do a good job of talent assessment over there for sure 

100 percent...as we trot out the same ol same ol comfy sweater players of our coach....sad

Edited by Booch

13 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Is it? At what point is it on the players on the field not executing. ?? 

Ahhhh the longstanding argument between 'Coaches didn't put me in the position to be successful' versus' Players were put in the right position but didn't execute'.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I want to be fair with the last comment I made though: I don’t think our young players were the big problem this past week. It was definitely on the veterans.

The worst players on the field were Mitchell and Ford by a long shot.

Collaros does have to carry the team though.  Guy like Demski makes an unforgivable and fatal mistake too.

11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The worst players on the field were Mitchell and Ford by a long shot.

Collaros does have to carry the team though.  Guy like Demski makes an unforgivable and fatal mistake too.

And that's the problem. A - he's no longer capable of being that guy. B - we have a guy who was largely ignored that can and did carry the team last year. 

This isn't Zachs team. It's Bradys. And if he get less than 20 touches Thursday I'll be wishing buck took that ssk job.

Gotta say game 1 was horrifying. Us fans have come to expect a certain level of play, and we were no where near that level. Sitting out most of the veterans was IMO a huge mistake. The offence was terrible, and that's where most of the sitting out hurt us.

Glad to see that the CFL has walked-back the chips in the balls for the kickers.

23 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We were the least prepared team this week and it showed. Time to get to work and fix the problems or else it's gonna be a long season. 

Unprepared and lack of execution.......a perfect formula for losing badly, last week.  
That game was inexcusable on all fronts, starting with the GM and HC....and moving down the line....
Excuses not allowed for this week.   The deal....is just play better and pick up 2 points

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

And that's the problem. A - he's no longer capable of being that guy. B - we have a guy who was largely ignored that can and did carry the team last year. 

This isn't Zachs team. It's Bradys. And if he get less than 20 touches Thursday I'll be wishing buck took that ssk job.

Not likely to happen, coming off an injury it's Brady's health holding him back and getting more reps. is not going to make that better. 50/50 whether he even plays this week, they should probably rest him and make sure he's ready to go for Stamps and Lions in the next few weeks, losing those 2 games would put them squarely behind the 8 ball.

Edited by Fatty Liver

Hmm perhaps I having been playing the role of devils advocate. 

the reality appears to be that the guys who struggled outside of Mitchell and Ford, were indeed the veterans who didn’t really participate in camp very much. Zach, I’m not sure it’s an excuse for the veteran QB tho. Brady? Appears banged up still. Demski? The same. Those 2 you can excuse a bit but if they ain’t healthy then that’s on the coaches for playing them. Schoen even struggled. There’s another in the no camp needed group. Lawler getting hurt kinda early probably played a minor role. Thought Zach got time to throw so OL outside of a couple early whiffs were ok it seemed. I dunno watching on tv I could see Zach staring receivers down, not really looking anywhere else, he’s not a check down QB either so….  When your QB is that bad, is it fair to judge the others? 

this is what ppl were saying in pre season also just playing Wilson basically. How do you evaluate the group when one guys struggling so much. But Zach had more time to throw than Wilson did in pre season.  I dunno. Does Zach the veteran QB need more reps??  It appears he does but he also looked like this a few games last season also. There’s gotta be some concern there. 

Edited by Goalie

15 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Plus the 2 we signed today and whoever comes off for Bighill.

We went 2 for 1 because we were under the PR limit since it opened. 

I actually think we will see a bit of roster adjustments in the AR, IR, and PR still. We lowkey have a lot of guys banged up at varying levels already. 

14 minutes ago, do or die said:

Unprepared and lack of execution.......a perfect formula for losing badly, last week.  
That game was inexcusable on all fronts, starting with the GM and HC....and moving down the line....
Excuses not allowed for this week.   The deal....is just play better and pick up 2 points

I'm not willing to point the finger at Kyle, he brought in guys .. a lot of them .. some of whom looked really good.

Last week was on the coaches - full stop.  They needed to make evaluations quicker, allow people realistic chances to show what they have (or not have) and then get the team ready to play week one.

And I completely agree with JBR on this, cutting Rosery was a mistake (based on the way our roster is made up).  

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah the compete level of training camp didn't align with being prepared for Game 1.

They had 96 guys on the field 6 days before Game 1.

Coaching staff and management might have to check their arrogance about how prepared they are soon.

Yeah preseason was a giant waste of time.  You gave reps to dozens of players you already knew weren't going to be on the day 1 roster. Why? Let your team play together if there's that fee spots up for grabs.

2 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

And I completely agree with JBR on this, cutting Rosery was a mistake (based on the way our roster is made up).  

I actually thought they might cut Augustine and use rosery as the back up. Guess that was just silly thinking.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah preseason was a giant waste of time.  You gave reps to dozens of players you already knew weren't going to be on the day 1 roster. Why? Let your team play together if there's that fee spots up for grabs.

Yeah in reality it’s not like we had 25 spots up for grabs.