Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, Nolby said:

Has anyone actually directly asked Oshea about these roster moves over better players that are just rotting away on the bench?

Have you ever listened to a MOS interview?

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nobody in thr media does that now for fear of losing their access to the team.

No one does it cause MOS always gives generic answers. Always has always will.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

They're all starters. 

(On a 3-6 team) lol 

47 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

I don’t think anyone in the media even realizes these moves are being made, never mind asking about them.

All too busy toting the teams narrative, fearing a 2nd half turn around. Once the season is over if it continues like this we will see some vague parting shots at the teams management. 

Some good stuff in here. I hadn't thought a lot about what record the bombers will need in the back half to make playoffs/home playoff/first place..... But ya this hole they've dug definitely means you need to be on a heater throughout the back half....

Still, with all that said.... "1-0 this week..."

Take care of business today...we have season series....pound Hammie at home...we on a nice streak going into the Sask back to backs...and if our offence continues to evolve and get back to even 80 percent of normal I can see us sweeping...then we have season series against the 3 teams currently ahead of us...then it's anyone's ballgame and a case of who gets hot late

13 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hamilton game next week is a classic trap game before the Sask back to back.

Not much time to prep for Hamilton - today is Monday and the game is Friday. One thing I noticed sitting at field level yesterday is Collaros doesn't have great velocity on his throws - they arc and hang up there forever. I wondered about that because even on TV his intermediate and longer throws seem to take forever to get there. (I will concede his TD strike to Demski was a beauty). But overall, compared with Rourke's throwing velocity for example, Zach's throwing power does not compare favourably. This is very obvious when you see the balls being delivered to a spot on the field at field level. Buck seems to have made some adjustments to compensate for poor O-line play (changing the launch point, generally shorter targets) but this could be a prob going forward.

15 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Not much time to prep for Hamilton - today is Monday and the game is Friday. One thing I noticed sitting at field level yesterday is Collaros doesn't have great velocity on his throws - they arc and hang up there forever. I wondered about that because even on TV his intermediate and longer throws seem to take forever to get there. (I will concede his TD strike to Demski was a beauty). But overall, compared with Rourke's throwing velocity for example, Zach's throwing power does not compare favourably. This is very obvious when you see the balls being delivered to a spot on the field at field level. Buck seems to have made some adjustments to compensate for poor O-line play (changing the launch point, generally shorter targets) but this could be a prob going forward.

QBs throw different balls to different receivers. Zac's arm is fine. 

30 minutes ago, Blue In BC said:

Yeah, that wasn't the point. The point was what do we gain by these additions?

Directly nothing. Indirectly we help our only junior football team in this province strengthen their program. It is a feather in the Rifles recruitment cap.

Edited by GCn20

33 minutes ago, Blue In BC said:

Yeah, that wasn't the point. The point was what do we gain by these additions?

An extra body to get through practice at those positions and a shot in the dark that maybe those two can become serviceable Canadian players in the future

Rewatched the weekend game a bit...Randolph is good...has really good footwork and is so mobile...and man he has some serious good hand work...dude had been coached up very well prior to getting here...him and Lofton play off each other so good..like they been teammates for yrs..they only gone mesh even better...that side of the line now is legit top tier 

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Rewatched the weekend game a bit...Randolph is good...has really good footwork and is so mobile...and man he has some serious good hand work...dude had been coached up very well prior to getting here...him and Lofton play off each other so good..like they been teammates for yrs..they only gone mesh even better...that side of the line now is legit top tier 

Yeah ,ZC had more steamboats for sure.......Eli looked solid when he was in as well.

4 hours ago, Doublezero said:

I was probably sitting pretty close by, and I fully agree with you it was clear that Rourke was really slinging it with some serious zip, putting a whole lot of mustard on his throws. Meanwhile  Collaros, his passes were hanging up there like they were waiting for a breeze to carry them. Collaros was still making the right reads, but his throws lacked the pep and pizzazz they used to have.

And the same critique can be applied to the punting duel. BC's punter had the kind of leg that could make a football fly like a well-chucked boomerang, while our Aussie bum seemed to be kicking with a limp noodle.

4 hours ago, bluedawg said:

An extra body to get through practice at those positions and a shot in the dark that maybe those two can become serviceable Canadian players in the future

It's also a good thing for grassroots football.  Gives a couple young guys a taste of pro football and a goal to aspire to.

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

It's also a good thing for grassroots football.  Gives a couple young guys a taste of pro football and a goal to aspire to.

I wonder how much is plans to bring in nfl cuts, or the lack of Canadians on the market. I mean who is in shape that you could grab that has any real upside? In general bringing in guys like this is always good. 
 I do hope to see some more shuffling on the ar/pr in the next couple weeks. 

On 2024-08-18 at 9:12 AM, Bigblue204 said:

Have you ever listened to a MOS interview?

No one does it cause MOS always gives generic answers. Always has always will.

This is a common problem in all CFL cities. Softball, no questions to piss off the HC or GM. Teams control the message now. It used to be the media. 

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this or commented on it, but TSN hasn't updated their CFL standings page. According to them the Bombers are sitting at 3 wins.  I know it really isn't all that important but it really pisses me off that they pay so little attention to one of the few sports they have exclusive rights to. In my opinion  their attitude towards the CFL is a contributing factor towards the ridiculous attendance at Argo games . I long for the day when the CFL ditches the Toronto Sports Network.

17 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I'm not sure it's fine... he can work with it but it does seem to lack some pop compared to previous seasons.

I believe that he is purposely putting a little more air on it because the routes and timing with the new guys aren't quite there yet. A more catchable ball than a laser in that situation. I could be wrong but I have noticed a difference between balls thrown to Demski/Lawler as opposed to those going to Wilson for instance. It's how a QB compensates for not being 100% dialed in with the route running of one or two of their guys.  Also, on some of this throws he clearly not being able to plant well because of pressure. When he has time to set and deliver his arm has plenty of pop. 

50 minutes ago, the watcher said:

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this or commented on it, but TSN hasn't updated their CFL standings page. According to them the Bombers are sitting at 3 wins.  I know it really isn't all that important but it really pisses me off that they pay so little attention to one of the few sports they have exclusive rights to. In my opinion  their attitude towards the CFL is a contributing factor towards the ridiculous attendance at Argo games . I long for the day when the CFL ditches the Toronto Sports Network.

The problem is that the primary alternative is SportsNet and they have a very strong disdain for the CFL.  Also, as much as we complain about some of the play-by-play and colour guys on TSN, based on what SportsNet has for hockey coverage, I believe it would be much worse.

I think the problem is that TSN knows that they don't have any real competition for the TV rights to the CFL, so they get away with phoning it in a bit.

56 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Pretty sad for such an important partner to the cfl. But I mean the cfl can’t be assed to take care of their own stats. It’s the laziest era for the cfl I can recall. 

5 minutes ago, Sard said:

The problem is that the primary alternative is SportsNet and they have a very strong disdain for the CFL.  Also, as much as we complain about some of the play-by-play and colour guys on TSN, based on what SportsNet has for hockey coverage, I believe it would be much worse.

I think the problem is that TSN knows that they don't have any real competition for the TV rights to the CFL, so they get away with phoning it in a bit.

Sportsnet had really good quality when they had the cfl in the past. 
 It would be heavily dependant on politics, but the best partner for the cfl is the cbc imo. I don’t think they pay like they used to in the Olympics era, but if we could get decent dollars I think the volume of watchers they could bring as well as scheduling flexibility would be huge.